don't want to pay local taxes, live in china

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
nn5i
Re: don't want to pay local taxes, live in china

Post by nn5i » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:45 am

southsound wrote:This kind of attitude saddens me.
Well, perhaps you are right, all of you except the OP. But this guy bought a device, and a service, with easily discoverable requirements (the $3.47 per month), and has been whining for months that he doesn't want to pay what he certainly agreed to pay. He bought the device with constructive notice, and almost certainly with actual notice, that in order to use it he'd have to pay this trivial amount. Now he wants to back out on his end of the bargain while having the other side still obligated. That's parasitism.

Core users, on the other hand, entered no such agreement; they made a different bargain, and it is being honored by both sides. People who bought Core -- I wish I had -- are not parasites for wanting to use the deal that they and Ooma agreed to. Their having a different deal with Ooma does not, for example, mean that I, with a Telo, am wronged by being charged that $3.47. I agreed to that, and so did the OP.

allo

Post by allo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:56 am

southsound wrote:
nn5i wrote:"Gosh, fellas, I want to live in a Communist country but not pay taxes."
"Gosh, fellas, I want to use extensive US infrastructure, and I want to do so as a parasite."
Anything else you'd like?
This kind of attitude saddens me. Although it is certainly your right to feel that way and even your right to express it, I am amazed that it comes from a person who is as well educated and articulate as I know you to be. Maybe you're just having a bad day. EFI, a local group that helps those who struggle with developmental issues has a bumper sticker that pretty much sums up my thoughts: Attitude is the biggest disability
Florida Races are run this year with most Republicans candidates advocating to pass the same "thing" as Arizona...I believe that attitude used to be called in the distant past as "Isolationism"... today I don't know what we should call it other than "tea something"...

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:06 am

That's worth a different thread, though not here. But that is not what "isolationism" means -- a serious misuse of terminology. What country doesn't defend its borders? What country shouldn't?

FeiGeiWay

Post by FeiGeiWay » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:53 am

I just remember reading review after review about Ooma when I was researching it, and none of the reviews the mention the monthly taxes, and ALL of them talked about NO monthly fees. Do a search on google for "ooma review" and only one of the top few searches mention the monthly taxes. So when I ordered it from amazon at the time, i was under the impression that there truly were no monthly fees. It came as a surprise to me.

For those of you who have both a Core and a Telo, is there a difference in voice quality? Does the Core sound "crappier" than the Telo?

And to nn51 - like ibmofo said, take a deep breath and relax, although it must be hard breathing through the mouth all the time.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:39 am

FeiGeiWay wrote:And to nn51 - like ibmofo said, take a deep breath and relax, although it must be hard breathing through the mouth all the time.
Oh, no -- when you've been doing it as long as I have it's easy. Cheers.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:07 am

FeiGeiWay wrote:For those of you who have both a Core and a Telo, is there a difference in voice quality? Does the Core sound "crappier" than the Telo?
No real life experience here however,

Ooma Hub vs. Ooma Telo

Voice Quality:
Bobby B wrote: - Advanced voice compression (iLBC codec on Hub and Telo)
- Adaptive redundancy (Telo only)
- Encrypted calls (Hub and Telo)
- QoS (Hub and Telo)
- HD Voice (Telo only)
If you intend to use a regular home phone with your Ooma, the voice quality on the Hub should be as good as the Telo unless you have suspect ISP with packet loss needing adaptive redundancy.