sms text to OOMA?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
zp18zp18
sms text to OOMA?

Post by zp18zp18 » Sun May 30, 2010 8:15 pm

Is it possible to send text messages to OOMA or from OOMA? If so, what would be the text address from an email source? ie 2334567890@att.text.com

Thanks

daet

Re: sms text to OOMA?

Post by daet » Sun May 30, 2010 8:40 pm

Not possible.
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

zp18zp18

Post by zp18zp18 » Sun May 30, 2010 9:18 pm

To or From? Neither?

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sun May 30, 2010 10:49 pm

NOT impossible but Ooma likely has not and may never implement it.

SMS is usually associated with cell phones because that is where most people use it so people assume it can only be done on a cellular network but this is a false assumption, it is not only possible but it is actually used over landline and voip with some carriers, few if any are US based. Siemens Gigasets have this feature and some wired phones do as well, you can also plug a standalone messaging box into your phone network. Where it does exist it certainly is not cheaper than the SMS provided by cellular carrier.

Typically FSK at 1200 baud is used for SMS. This is the same modulation scheme that is used for Caller ID.

Since Google Voice supports SMS, for fun I texted all my voip numbers and of course they had errors since none of my phones can support it even if it existed with any of my VOIP accounts. I believe an acknowledgement by the receiving end is required.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon May 31, 2010 7:59 am

At one time, it was a reported "coming feature" by Rich Buchanan (CMO at the time).

Here is a quote from a March 18, 2009 Press Release:
Rich Buchanan wrote:ooma GVE SMS text integration
With ooma Telo™ handsets (available this coming August), Google Voice SMS messages may be displayed on the handsets in the home, not just on a cell phone.
Not to add fire to an already sore topic for core or hub users, this is also where Rich talked about GVE for the original platform. At the time, only the core and hub systems were available:
Rich Buchanan wrote: “We look forward to enhancing the features of Google Voice for our current and future ooma Premier customers.”

ooma GVE One Touch Voice Mail
ooma Premier Google Voice Extensions allows ooma users to access their Google Voice mailbox with a single touch of a button on an ooma Hub, Scout, or Telo handset. This eliminates the need to dial a Google Voice number and then password to gain access to voice mail.
Here is a link to the complete Press Release: For Immediate Release 3/18/09
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 am

southsound wrote:At one time, it was a reported "coming feature" by Rich Buchanan (CMO at the time).
Sounds like a change was made in strategic direction or there were unanticipated challenges/costs involved with bringing this feature into production. It happens. That's just a few of many reasons why it's dangerous for companies to preannounce features. And people wonder why Apple holds its cards so close to the vest. ;)
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

hbustani

Post by hbustani » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Please ooma, if you are not going to support receiving of text messages, then AT LEAST LET THE SENDER OF A TEXT MESSAGE KNOW THAT THEIR MESSAGE CANNOT BE DELIVERED!
Otherwise, they assume their message was delivered, and then a fiasco results, and no one is happy.

I have to emphasize:

Not being able to receive text messages in just an inconvenience, something we can live with.

On the other hand, not letting the sender of a text message know that their message could not be delivered can create all sorts of embarrassing situations. This is simply unacceptable.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Ooma is connected to the regular analog phone network. There is no provision for digital messages on the analog network. An Ooma to Ooma call using Ooma handsets at both ends is digital. However a text message from a cell phone leaves the cell network and tries to enter the analog network where it dies. Ooma does not know that a text message was sent to one of their customers. What you want won't be possible until / if the analog network is converted to digital. Any phone connected to the phone jack on a Telo is an analog call.

I suppose Ooma could have a digital interface to the cell network but then they would have to pay the digital per minute billing rate to terminate the call. I can already hear the screaming because of increased Ooma fees to cover those costs.

The cell phone companies could reject text messages that are addressed to a number that is on the analog network. There is probably no profit in doing that so they don't.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

hbustani

Post by hbustani » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:39 am

All land lines are capable of receiving Caller ID information, which is digital. I don't see why they couldn't receive text messaging in a similar format.
You are suggesting that the cell company could be the ones who notify the sender that their message could not be delivered. This would also work. It seems like we need regulations which would force them to do this. It is sad that companies don't care at all about treating their customers fairly and with respect, and that regulations are needed.

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:58 am

Regulations lead to regulatory fees, more often than not passed on to the consumer. Be careful what you wish for... & the associated unintended consequences.