Will this Ring Booster Damage my Telo?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
theo1958
Will this Ring Booster Damage my Telo?

Post by theo1958 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:49 pm

I am now feeding my OOMA dialtone into one of my wall jacks and have completelt and literally severed my connection to Verizon. I have no problem with the dialtone reaching all jacks. However, I did notice as I added phones to systems their rings became slightly weaker. I came across this gadget online. If my theory is correct at the time of an incoming call this gadget will increase the line current at "ring" time, however, would not also be feeding current back to my Telo and possibly damaging it? Check it out....

http://www.vikingelectronics.com/produc ... d=219#spec

Aveamantium

Re: Will this Ring Booster Damage my Telo?

Post by Aveamantium » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Telo probably has a REN value of 3 to 5. Most cordless phones are powered so they have a REN of 0. However, add up all the REN values to see where you're at (should be printed on the bottom of the phone). Not sure if the Ring Booster will do damage or not but you might be able to remove one of the phones with the higher REN value and get your "precious" I mean "ring" back. :D
Go AVS!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm

As an old telco installer I can tell you that the Viking products are top-notch. If you have older phones (like Aaron noted) you could just disconnect the ringers in some and save the expense of the ring booster - but if you like all of the phones to ring as designed, the RG-10A would be ideal. The unit can also be set to boost talk battery - as in a situation where you had a phone some great distance from the house, possibly in a barn or outbuilding. It will not harm the Telo if connected properly. Note that there is a Technical Practice that shows how to connect and program it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

theo1958

Post by theo1958 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Thank you... I was fearful of frying the poor Telo which extra current. My some my REAL PHONES with brass bells draw somewhat in excess of 1.5 ren.... place them all in circuit and it is a sickly sound <dink dink>

Ted

rmfort

Post by rmfort » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:01 am

I installed an OOMA Telo to replace my OOMA Hub ... Telo worked fine for dial tones and making outgoing calls ... noticed that none of my connected phones would ring on incoming calls ... I have 22 phones connected in my house (REN total of 14.7) ... long story ... but they all worked fine and RING with the OOMA Hub ... not with the Telo ... called customer service and they told me that the Telo would not support rings for that REN total ... so I bought a VIKING RG-10A Ring Booster ... hooked it up per the instructions for the RG-10A (in addition to the wiring connections, the RG-10A needs to be programmed before power is added by punching in *845464 on one of the phones).

Plugging the power to the RG-10A, got out my cell phone and dialed the OOMA Telo phone number ... and all my home phones rang again ... works great ... OOMa Telo seems unaffected.

rmfort@yahoo.com

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:14 pm

rmfort wrote:I installed an OOMA Telo to replace my OOMA Hub ... Telo worked fine for dial tones and making outgoing calls ... noticed that none of my connected phones would ring on incoming calls ... I have 22 phones connected in my house (REN total of 14.7) ... long story ... but they all worked fine and RING with the OOMA Hub ... not with the Telo ... called customer service and they told me that the Telo would not support rings for that REN total ... so I bought a VIKING RG-10A Ring Booster ... hooked it up per the instructions for the RG-10A (in addition to the wiring connections, the RG-10A needs to be programmed before power is added by punching in *845464 on one of the phones).

Plugging the power to the RG-10A, got out my cell phone and dialed the OOMA Telo phone number ... and all my home phones rang again ... works great ... OOMa Telo seems unaffected.

rmfort@yahoo.com
Since your home has 22 phones, did you consider a home PBX system? That would give you intercom capabilities along with the ring boost.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions