Bluetooth Adaptor - Pay Up! - Why is it?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Jerald
Re: Bluetooth Adaptor - Pay Up! - Why is it?

Post by Jerald » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Morpheus wrote:
Jerald wrote:Which Plantronics are you using? I was looking at the Plantronics 520 for sale on Amazon to use with my cell and Telo. It has very good reviews so far. I do use a hardwired Panasonic headset with Ooma and wireless phone set, but tired of the wire.
How were you able to connect a hardwired headset to Ooma? Am I missing something?
By using the mini-jack on my Panasonic wireless Dec set I have connected to my Telo. Most wireless phone sets have a jack these days. Not as handy as using a bluetooth headset, but greater range. (Head set with a wire and male mini-plug)
I do know how to install a mini-jack on the Telo handset, but would void my warranty and I like the bluetooth idea better.
Total cost parts from Radio Shack, about $1.50. Would not recommend to a non-experienced repair person.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Jerald wrote:
Morpheus wrote:
Jerald wrote:Which Plantronics are you using? I was looking at the Plantronics 520 for sale on Amazon to use with my cell and Telo. It has very good reviews so far. I do use a hardwired Panasonic headset with Ooma and wireless phone set, but tired of the wire.
How were you able to connect a hardwired headset to Ooma? Am I missing something?
By using the mini-jack on my Panasonic wireless Dec set I have connected to my Telo. Most wireless phone sets have a jack these days. Not as handy as using a bluetooth headset, but greater range. (Head set with a wire and male mini-plug)
I do know how to install a mini-jack on the Telo handset, but would void my warranty and I like the bluetooth idea better.
Total cost parts from Radio Shack, about $1.50. Would not recommend to a non-experienced repair person.
Yes, I looked at the ieda of installing a mini-plug into the phone and the warranty stopped me. I was just wondering becuse you only mentioned connecting the Panasonic headset to the Ooma. It was just a little confusing. I thought Ooma may have seen the error in their ways and released a Ooma Handset with a headset jack, and I missed out on the notice.

If your going to be on the Ooma phone for any amout of time the Ooma Handset is just not built for sholder to ear as hands free.

philw132

Post by philw132 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:04 pm

I am using the plantronics explorer 210 the price has dropped from when i bought it, but i still got it cheaper then its current price on amazon, here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Explo ... B003INBOQK

they look cheap, but they work pretty good.. that Plantronics 520 looks pretty sharp tho after looking it up, i found it 32.95 plus shipping at http://www.thriftycomputer.com/plantron ... dset.html/ ive never delt with that company before but i seen it on google.

ive tried sooo many bluetooth headsets, ive never been happy with any of them, ive bought the 79.99 models, ive bought the 19.99 models, and nothing really was to my likly, the 210 is cheap looking but it works better then some of the high end models.
Jerald wrote: Which Plantronics are you using? I was looking at the Plantronics 520 for sale on Amazon to use with my cell and Telo. It has very good reviews so far. I do use a hardwired Panasonic headset with Ooma and wireless phone set, but tired of the wire.
Customer Since: 4/6/10
Service/Hardware: Telo w/ bluetooth
Premier Expires: 6/02/12
Comcast Port: 4/15/10 - 5/17/10
Internet: Comcast Cable Top Speed Tier
Setup: Motorola SB6120 -> Cisco E3000 -> Telo
Phone: Vtech DECT 6.0 3-Handset / 1 Telo Handset

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:15 am

Check out N1Wireless for some great deals:

http://www.n1wireless.com/

tommies

Post by tommies » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:53 pm

philw132 wrote:I am using the plantronics explorer 210 the price has dropped from when i bought it, but i still got it cheaper then its current price on amazon, here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-Explo ... B003INBOQK

they look cheap, but they work pretty good.. that Plantronics 520 looks pretty sharp tho after looking it up, i found it 32.95 plus shipping at http://www.thriftycomputer.com/plantron ... dset.html/ ive never delt with that company before but i seen it on google.

ive tried sooo many bluetooth headsets, ive never been happy with any of them, ive bought the 79.99 models, ive bought the 19.99 models, and nothing really was to my likly, the 210 is cheap looking but it works better then some of the high end models.
Jerald wrote: Which Plantronics are you using? I was looking at the Plantronics 520 for sale on Amazon to use with my cell and Telo. It has very good reviews so far. I do use a hardwired Panasonic headset with Ooma and wireless phone set, but tired of the wire.
I bought the Jabra BT3030 18 months ago for $80. Now it on sale at $40 at N1Wireless--a very good deal. You can use your own earphones with it. The included earphone is decent but not great. I now use it with Klispsch Custome #2 and love it. After 18 month of abusing, the battery still hold solid 6 hrs of music playing, and charging is less than 2hrs. BTW, it's a stereo BT.
tommies

jfl

Post by jfl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:18 pm

I'm a Premiere subscriber and have the same issue with Ooma's misbehavior that Morpheus has - I have to buy a proprietary Bluetooth dongle from Ooma to use devices I already own. For Phil123 (or whatever your name is) to criticize others for a valid complaint is childish (do you also own an Apple iPhone 4 already?) Bottom line is that Bluetooth is a proprietary technology and most computers and other hardware simply require a generic dongle to enable the service. Ooma is behaving very much like Apple. I am starting to regret signing up for my premiere account and porting my number over to Ooma as I already own Bluetooth dongles (3 or 4 generic ones) that work just fine in every other capable device EXCEPT my Telo base. Ooma should lose this one. And, they better start paying attention because their handsets have proven unreliable and their customer service is very like Dell computer's - i.e. not very much service.

Majority opinion is frequently poorly founded. Look at our government for another example.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:41 pm

"Misbehavior" I think you are being overly critical.

Since you already have Premier, you can enjoy the convenience of the bluetooth adapter for ~$30. If you don't think it is worth it, you don't need to buy it. By not buying the bluetooth adapter, you don't lose any features you already had.

frenchcamp49er

Post by frenchcamp49er » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:28 pm

I don't see any issue with having to pay for the bluetooth dongle, but maybe they should at least offer it at a discount or maybe free for Premier Members, but this will not stop me from buying one, I would like to leave the iPhones on the desk and only worry about one phone to answer, worth $30 to me. I have also had no issues with CS, the few times I have called they were fixed. I did have some issues with the new iPhone app, but I see what this app could be, so I'm putting my $20 in hopes this turns out to be a great app instead of just OK.
Customer Since: January 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Hub/Scout; Telo 04/02/10
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since December 2009)

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm not aware of any other VoIP provider that has the capability to have a cell phone connect via Bluetooth to the VoIP ATA, allowing inbound cell phone calls to be answered on any phone in the home. Ooma's ability to do that is unique or at least very uncommon, and they decided to make some money off of it - free enterprise - the marketplace will decide to reward such innovation or not.