ooma disconnects when i pick it up.......

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
harryy300
ooma disconnects when i pick it up.......

Post by harryy300 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:17 am

when a call comes in and when i pick up the phone it disconnects, all the lights go red and flash that way for about 20 seconds. the party on the incomming line just gets a ringing with nothing else..what can be done??? HELP!!!!

thunderbird

Re: ooma disconnects when i pick it up.......

Post by thunderbird » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:22 am

harryy300 wrote:when a call comes in and when i pick up the phone it disconnects, all the lights go red and flash that way for about 20 seconds. the party on the incomming line just gets a ringing with nothing else..what can be done??? HELP!!!!
Sounds like your Ooma device isn't "seeing" a good Internet signal?
The first thing to do is to disconnect power from your Modem, Ooma, and Router. Next repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the next devcie in line, the Ooma or Router. when that device is done booting, repower the Router or Ooma device. Then test.

Also see topic: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14364
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

harryy300

Post by harryy300 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:43 pm

hey :D :D :D thunderbird....... your the man........I did what you said and it now works.....I gave it several days and not one time did the phone disconnect...............how the hell did you get so smart?????? :cool: :cool: :cool: thanks my friend, the check in the mail !!!!!!!!

harryy300

Post by harryy300 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:15 am

nope nope nope.................it doesn't work after all.. it still disconects when picked up. I bough a new phone, replace, the wires, and I am connected right out of the modem..i think ooma wants me out since I have been a custome for a long time and no fees.. can anybody help?? Harry

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:22 am

Ooma doesn't want you out....

If haven't, take a look at this:

"Optimal Setup" posts for your reference

If after Router - viewtopic.php?t=12403

If before Router - viewtopic.php?t=9536#p66155

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:49 pm

harryy300 wrote:nope nope nope.................it doesn't work after all.. it still disconects when picked up. I bough a new phone, replace, the wires, and I am connected right out of the modem..i think ooma wants me out since I have been a custome for a long time and no fees.. can anybody help?? Harry
Harry300 if you rebooted the Modem before and it worked for a while, then I'd look in that area for a problem.

Check the Modem Owners manual and see if there is a Modem reset procedure. If there is a reset procedure, reset the Modem or reboot it again. Note: Some Modems contain a battery, which must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem reset or reboot, referenece the Modem owners manual.

Some thing else to do if you haven't already done so. Procedure for Ooma Telo, Hub is simular.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

If you continue to have the same problems, I'd consider a different Modem.

harryy300

Post by harryy300 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:26 am

well my friends Ibmofo & thunderbird..........with living with this problem for several months, and with ooma connected from the modem and changing setting from "Automatic to Use Built In" and resetting the modem, and ooma, & buying a new phone (it was at least 10 years old anyway), replacing all the wires, & while holding my breath, on the next incoming call...........low and behold.. RED lights again..-crying- so now I put ooma out of the router with HOME not used, reset all devices....low and behold on the next five incoming calls....... "BLUE'..........I said "Hello" & I heard voices...(not in my head but from the phone)..no flashing red lights.....I now can communicate with the world again...that might not be a good idea.. but thanks guys I think I'll apply for an opening at ooma as a super tech> :-)

harryy300

Post by harryy300 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:44 am

So after seven years of having ooma disconnect most of the time when I pick it up no matter what I have done to fix it. Do you know what I have discovered???? When I pick up the phone not during the ring IT WORKS all the time.... Holy cow!!!! So now that's what you do..... pick up the phone not during the ring... Can you believe that? Let me know of your results>>>> Harry