Connecting the alarm system

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
anoname
Connecting the alarm system

Post by anoname » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:03 pm

Hi. I just switched a family member's phone system to Ooma and didn't realize that it would mess with the alarm system. I could use some assistance with fixing the problem. I have an idea on how to do it, but I could use some feedback. I honestly don't know anything about telephone wiring though, so bear with me

Background:
The previous phone system was a VOIP provided by the cable/internet provider. They had a device in the basement that hooked into the phone wiring via an adapter and some hub (not sure if that's the right term). I unhooked the phone line from the cable provider's device and set up Ooma Telo in the office next to the router. I then plugged the phone line from the Telo into the wall and all the phones in the house started working. Unfortunately I forgot about the alarm system.

This is a picture of the wiring now: https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/53w ... -65mESsPIg

The adapter (white box in the top right which has nothing going into it at the moment) is connected to the hub via orange and white wires into the slot labeled MTA.
The brown cable goes to/from the alarm system with the red and green wires going into the slot labeled S-OUT and the yellow and black cables going into S-IN. I'm assuming that all the other wires are used to wire up the rest of the house.

My idea:
  • Purchase and configure a linx device
  • Set the linx device to use alarm system mode
  • Connect a phone line from the linx device into the adapter mentioned above
  • Disconnect the yellow and black wires going from the alarm system into the S-IN slot on the hub
My thinking. There is currently no signal going into the alarm box at all. I'm guessing the way it was configured previously was that VOIP device was sending the signal into the MTA port, the S-OUT slot was wired into the alarm to give it access to the signal and the alarm was passing it on to the rest of the house via the S-IN slot and all the wires coming out. Now I don't want Alarm Mode to be active in the entire house so my thinking is that if the signal goes from the linx (in alarm mode) into the alarm and the alarm doesn't pass it on the rest of the house, I should be good.

Does this make sense? Do you think it will work?
Or am I way off base because I know nothing about phone wiring?

murphy

Re: Connecting the alarm system

Post by murphy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:38 am

The phone jack on the Telo must be wired directly to the input of the alarm system. The output of the alarm system feeds the house wiring. This is required so when the alarm system needs to make a call it can disconnect all of the phones in the house which prevents a burglar from blocking an alarm call by taking a phone in the house off hook. The alarm system has a backup battery to cover power failures. The Telo and the cable modem and router need to be connected to an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) or there will be no alarm protection during a power failure. You can't do it with a Linx. The phone line in the Telo must be configured for alarm mode or the CID tones the alarm system sends will not get through.

Because of all of these requirements I still have a basic Verizon copper land line for the alarm system. It can be the cheapest line the phone company has with no extras because all it has to be able to do is make a call to an 800 number. A call to that line does not ring a phone in my house.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

anoname

Post by anoname » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 am

Looking through the forum it was mentioned that a number of people use a linx device dedicated to the alarm system. I even saw it mentioned that a linx device set up in alarm mode will seize the line if necessary to make the call.
viewtopic.php?p=139650#p139650
viewtopic.php?p=139656#p139656
viewtopic.php?p=114130#p114130

Dealing with power outages while important, is a separate issue and can be dealt with independently.

anoname

Post by anoname » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:28 am

For anyone reading this in the future:

My proposed solution worked like a charm. I ran a test with the alarm company and they said everything is looking good.