Ooma Telo Freezing

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
bwroga
Ooma Telo Freezing

Post by bwroga » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:04 am

My Telo freezes every few days. There will be no dial tone, and the buttons are unresponsive. I am also unable to access the setup/configuration page. I have to unplug it and plug it back in again to get it to work. When frozen the light remains solid (unblinking) blue.

It was still under warranty so I requested a new one, and 1 day after using it, this one froze too!

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

My Telo is plugged into a Tenda N301 router, which is plugged into an Arris Surfboard SB6141 cable modem. I have Xfinity 60 mb/s internet. The maximum number of devices attached to the router is 5 (One wired connection from a desktop, one wired connection from the Telo, one wireless connection from a laptop, and two wireless connections from two iphones). I don't experience any problems with any of the other devices.

I have also tried plugging the ooma directly into the modem and then the router into the ooma. This seemed to help a little, but it would still freeze every week or so.

I moved to a new state recently and in my old state I had no problems at all with the Telo. Back there, I had ATT UVerse and the standard rented UVerse router instead of the Surfboard and Tenda.

Oh...and the phone I have connected to the Telo is a rotary phone with an iPrivacy call blocker and a pulse to tone converter. I know that seems weird and maybe suspicious, but I experienced no problems until I moved.

murphy

Re: Ooma Telo Freezing

Post by murphy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Does that phone have a mechanical bell? It is probably overloading the power supply in the Telo. Try a modern electronic phone to see if it solves your problem.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

bwroga

Re: Ooma Telo Freezing

Post by bwroga » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:46 am

murphy wrote:Does that phone have a mechanical bell? It is probably overloading the power supply in the Telo. Try a modern electronic phone to see if it solves your problem.
It does have a mechanical bell, but I don't think that is the problem. Since plugging in my new Telo, I have not received any calls and it still froze. And on my old Telo at my new location I could receive calls, and it wouldn't freeze until a day later.

I will still try plugging in a modern phone, just to see if I can rule it out.