Ooma Hub blinking red

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
cruiser771
Ooma Hub blinking red

Post by cruiser771 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 am

Hi everyone, I activated my Ooma hub today, the very first model Ooma made, this wasn't a used device but one still sealed in it's box. Anyway, activation on the website went fine and I was able to pick my phone numbers. However, my device just flashes red. When logging into the Ooma portal, it looks like my device isn't hitting their server. It says:
Your Ooma Network is initializing, please wait
INTERNET: DETECTING
OOMA CORE: DETECTING
PHONE LINE: DETECTING

When I first plug it in, it says:
Your Ooma Network is registering, please wait
INTERNET: connected
Ooma Core: registering

I wait but it eventually goes back to saying "detecting"

I tried calling Ooma but he kept thinking I had a Telo, then the call either dropped or he hung up on me. Any idea of what's going on? Thanks in advance...

Robek

Re: Ooma Hub blinking red

Post by Robek » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:50 am

There was some issue with Ooma Hubs a few years ago, where they couldn't connect to the Ooma servers, due to some problem with hard-coded IP addresses for DNS servers interfering with the connection process. Performing a factory reset resolved the issue for many users:
1) Remove the power for the ooma device
2) Hold the ooma tab [blue light] connect the power and hold for 30 secs until all the lights start flashing and once the flashing of all lights are done release the tab and the device will reset to factory settings
After that, it can take up to an hour or so to reconnect to the Ooma servers. If that does not resolve the issue, then there was a more complicated process, involving (temporarily?) reconfiguring the ISP router to perform some IP address translations, allowing the Hub to connect to the Ooma servers.