Home Security System no longer works

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
woodenshoes
Re: Home Security System no longer works

Post by woodenshoes » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Eric - question about this statement, "This means using one of the pairs of the house wiring to get the odt to the jb. I would suggest "line 2", which is typically the orange pair".

As I have two lines coming into the house (one dead/former ATT, and one active, current DSL), are you saying, by "pairs", that I should be using the dead ATT line, and pull out from the four wires inside, two of the four?

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:18 am

More times than not the wire run throughout the home for phone has more than one pair. While it is possible the wire is just a single pair (it takes two wires, the pair, to provide phone service), it's more common to use two or three pair wire (makes adding a second, or third, line so much easier). For my home, which only has one line, I was able to re-task a second pair (I have three) of the wires used in my home phone wiring. While I was thinking of my home as an example, your home may provide a different solution.

The key thing you want to do is get one pair of wires from your ooma device (via the nearest wall jack) to your junction box. It really does not matter which pair, just whichever is easiest for you to access. Once you have extended the ooma "phone" jack to you junction box, you just need to get that pair to to your alarm panel and back. Once it's back, this is what needs to be distributed to the rest of your house.

So bottom line is your home may provide a different solution. In my home, I have a single 3-pair wire that goes to (as one continuous strand) every jack in the house. Where I needed it, I just accessed another pair in that three pair strand.

Hope that helps.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

woodenshoes

Post by woodenshoes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:21 pm

Eric - i just spent the afternoon, mapping my wiring as best I could, and translating your instructions (thank you!).

I've attached the diagram I drew, based on your instructions. Please take a look and let me know what, if anything, I'm missing before I start working away at the actual effort of changing my wires.

The first page is what I think I need to do. The one question I have is whether the the YELLOW/Black wires FROM the alarm should be punched down on top of the yellow/black wires from the phone jack. The wires from the phone jack are using YELLOW/BLACK. This is the former, dead, AT&T line. The green/red wires are not used on this line, however I'm thinking I should use them, to deliver the DSL line to the other wall jack in the faceplate. The DSL technician who was here a few years ago, decided to run a second set of four pair wires, for the DSL. This is an extra line, adding to the confusion. I can get rid of it, and use the first pair from the main line ("AT&T"). If I did so, I would have x14 (DSL) using the red/green, and x80 connected to OOMA, and delivering dial tone throughout, and connected to my home alarm, and Tivo.

the second page, albeit hard to read, is my current configuration. It's a hornet's nest, don't spend time on page 2.

http://bit.ly/i89iJt - this will take you to the Attachmore download link.

Thanks again!

woodenshoes

Post by woodenshoes » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Eric - I'll add that the Alarm jack sits behind another phone jack, as pictured in the diagram. If you've got suggestions on how to run this, that would be great.

thanks again, happy new year!

W

hotgorilla

Post by hotgorilla » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:51 pm

My security system works fine. Biggest issue was the formatting the alarm used. I have a HAI Omni IIe and I'm using the 3/5 format with WatchLight. Its $100/year for the monitoring. I also had to put the *99 in front of the number as with faxing.

On the TIvo if there is a way to lower the speed that will probably fix it. However, I would look in to the Moxi @ moxi.com Its better then tivo and there is no service/monthly fees. It can also be shared on multiple tvs. With the moxi it connects to the internet instead of a phone line.

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:19 am

woodenshoes wrote:Eric - I'll add that the Alarm jack sits behind another phone jack, as pictured in the diagram. If you've got suggestions on how to run this, that would be great.

thanks again, happy new year!

W
I'll take a look at it today and post back. Just wanted to let you know I saw it.
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)

woodenshoes

Post by woodenshoes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Eric - hold off spending time. I've been tweaking and can't get things right, despite having a former phone company buddy helping me out. I'm going down plan B path, which is connect my alarm system to my DSL line. Maybe that will work with a filter? Thanks!

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:48 pm

woodenshoes wrote:Eric - hold off spending time. I've been tweaking and can't get things right, despite having a former phone company buddy helping me out. I'm going down plan B path, which is connect my alarm system to my DSL line. Maybe that will work with a filter? Thanks!
No problem. Let me know how it goes. I'll be happy to add my 2-cents if needed.