Opting out of directory assistance?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
leob
Opting out of directory assistance?

Post by leob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 am

The first call I made after I've connected Ooma was to (700) 555-4141 that is a toll-free provider verification number: http://www.primevote.com/7005554141.htm
Instead of "Your Ooma service is now connected" or something to that effect, I got directory assistance and I was charged 99 cents for the call although I hung up as soon as I heard the (automated) "City and state, please?"
Granted, after just one escalation of the issue, I received a satisfactory response
700-555-4141 is typically a toll free call when dialed from a normal Landline. When dialed from a VoIP service, some providers will charge you, like Ooma. This charge has been reversed, but be advised that it will continue to bill you if you dial it from your Ooma service in the future. Ooma does bill for these special feature calls.
Some questions still remain.
My understanding is that as I pay taxes on my account, my phone service is subject to public utilities tariffs - i.e. whatever is a toll free call by PUC standards, should be a toll free call in Ooma; reporting the company name at a long-established standard number is not a special feature by any means, and why in the world do arbitrary numbers that have nothing at all to do with directory assistance resolve as such? This behavior does not look bona fide to me.

Is there a way to opt out of directory assistance completely, so that I can be sure that I am not charged arbitrarily?
Last edited by leob on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EricJRW

Re: Opting out of directory assistance?

Post by EricJRW » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:41 am

That's a good question. I did not know I would get charged for this either..

It would be nice if ooma told me, before the call completed, that I would be charged extra (Press 1 to complete your call).

But you also make a good point about us paying taxes... This seems to imply we should be treated as POTS customers.

Looking forward to seeing more on this subject.
Last edited by EricJRW on Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:04 pm

I agree that 700-555-4141 shouldn't point to a toll call.

OTOH, if you're using a phone plugged into an Ooma device, why would you need to check whether your line was being serviced by another provider?
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

leob

Post by leob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:30 pm

DTMF wrote: OTOH, if you're using a phone plugged into an Ooma device, why would you need to check whether your line was being serviced by another provider?
My former setting was ATT + one of low-cost international providers with 1+ access (rather than an access number and a calling card). By calling 700-555-4141 I was able to check what real provider they actually use. Most if not all were storefronts as reported provider names did not match names of the companies I contracted with. I was curious what Ooma uses for its international calling.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:28 pm

When I call 700-555-4141 using my AT&T cell, message comes on that says "not allowed."

When I call using Verizon landline, it tells me what LD carrier I am with after some mumbo jumbo.

Ooma should somehow block users from calling this number instead of redirecting to 411. I just used one of my friends' Ooma app and he was charged 99 cents for calling this number (he let me test call this number because he needed help using up his prepaid credit :) )

leob

Post by leob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:39 pm

Now I wonder if any (xxx) 555-yyyy, where xxx is not a toll-free area code, will go to Ooma's 99-cent directory assistance. It would be an easy, albeit extremely sleasy way to make money on kids dialing numbers they've heard in movies or on TV.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't think Ooma would intentionally do such a thing. It must be a bug or something.

leob

Post by leob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm

lbmofo wrote:I don't think Ooma would intentionally do such a thing. It must be a bug or something.
I'd like to believe that, but so far the wording of the customer service reply suggests otherwise.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 pm

leob wrote:...so far the wording of the customer service reply suggests otherwise.
Can you share the wording? CS has divvied out misinformation before.

leob

Post by leob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:56 pm

lbmofo wrote: Can you share the wording?
I did - in the topic starter. "Ooma does bill for these special feature calls" does not look like an acknowledgment of a bug.