Porting - average time?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
funone46
Re: Porting - average time?

Post by funone46 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:55 pm

I emailed mine on 3-24. Got a automated response the same day it was received. I was never asked for a copy of my phone bill. A week later I called customer service just to check and the said the Loa was recieved on 3-28 and in the works. Also was told by cs that not everyone needs to send in a copy of the bill. It depends on the carrier. I can only hope this all goes well. We need to understand a lot has to do with the current carrier too.
Ooma customer since Febuary 2009 - savings so far $ 1000.00
Ooma hardware Hub/Scout
LIFETIME PREMIER MEMBER

chiefjim

Post by chiefjim » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:18 pm

FWIW I opted not to port. Being a one person household I didn't have the complication of a spouse and kids who each had their own list of contacts.

Looking at my own list most were advised by a simple e-mail. Business accounts had online web pages which were easy to update. 30 minutes tops for everything. Just wasn't worth an extra month or two with the old service to make it easier for the telemarketers and spammers.

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:44 am

tommies wrote:I started it on Mar 01, and I received an email on Mar 13 which said
The expected due date of the order is the week of 03/31/2009.
We will notify you via email once we have confirmation of the actual completion date
I'm still waiting.
It's completed yesterday, Mar 31. That 30 days.
tommies

oomg

Post by oomg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:30 am

tommies wrote:
tommies wrote:I started it on Mar 01, and I received an email on Mar 13 which said
The expected due date of the order is the week of 03/31/2009.
We will notify you via email once we have confirmation of the actual completion date
I'm still waiting.
It's completed yesterday, Mar 31. That 30 days.
Mine took 34 days... see, things ARE improving!

oomg
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

QiangYe

Post by QiangYe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:20 am

Mine only took 18 days from Vonage.

Submitted LOA on 3/10.
received email saying document submitted to carrier on 2/20.
Didn't receive any email in the between.
On 3/28, my Vonage line stopped working, so I thought the port was happening and called ooma to ask the status of porting and was told nothing is confirmed and I should look at a completion date of middle April. The I called Vonage for the issue and they created a ticket.

After about an hour I received an email from ooma saying my porting is completed and my oom number changed to the ported in number.

This was really taken me by surprise!

Qiang

thively

Post by thively » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:31 am

03/12/09 - Submitted port request by email with attached LOA and Phone Bill. Received immediate auto response email "This email is to acknowledge that we've received your request and will be initiating the porting process. We will notify you via email once we receive an expected due date of your port completion, or if we need any additional information. You should hear back from us with an update typically within 5-7 business days from receiving this email."
03/20/09 - Received Email "We have submitted all of the information you provided to your current Carrier and are still awaiting confirmation. The expected due date of the order is the week of 04/06/2009."
04/01/09 - Received Email "The expected completion date of your request is scheduled for 04/06/2009."
04/06/09 - Port completed as scheduled!

About 3.5 weeks from request to finish.
I'm porting from AT&T land line (POTS)
Last edited by thively on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funone46

Post by funone46 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am

thively wrote:03/12/09 - Submitted port request by email with attached LOA and Phone Bill. Received immediate auto response email "This email is to acknowledge that we've received your request and will be initiating the porting process. We will notify you via email once we receive an expected due date of your port completion, or if we need any additional information. You should hear back from us with an update typically within 5-7 business days from receiving this email."
03/20/09 - Received Email "We have submitted all of the information you provided to your current Carrier and are still awaiting confirmation. The expected due date of the order is the week of 04/06/2009."
04/01/09 - Received Email "The expected completion date of your request is scheduled for 04/06/2009."
04/06/09 - Expect port to be complete. (Date hasn't arrived yet)

Thats not bad. I still am not sure why some have to send in a copy of their bill and some not. If I do not hear anything in 7 days I will call cs .
Last edited by funone46 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ooma customer since Febuary 2009 - savings so far $ 1000.00
Ooma hardware Hub/Scout
LIFETIME PREMIER MEMBER

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 am

thively wrote:03/12/09 - Submitted port request by email with attached LOA and Phone Bill. Received immediate auto response email "This email is to acknowledge that we've received your request and will be initiating the porting process. We will notify you via email once we receive an expected due date of your port completion, or if we need any additional information. You should hear back from us with an update typically within 5-7 business days from receiving this email."
04/06/09 - Expect port to be complete. (Date hasn't arrived yet)

That's a coincidence, my porting info is exactly the same, same start date, same emails and dates, same expected date to complete, same carrier (AT&T).

rortt

Post by rortt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 pm

I am working on week 4 since I sent in my LOA. This is definitely a long process. I recieved an email the day after I sent in my port LOA saying that OOMA has done everything, and they have forwarded it over to my local carrier. I checked with my local carrier, and they do not have any records of a request being made.

I have just submitted a support request to OOMA.
Ooma Premiere since 2008
Ooma Hub and 3 Scouts
Ooma Telo (sitting on shelf deciding if I should upgrade)

runagun

Post by runagun » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Faxed LOA on 03/07/09. Number was ported today, 04/02/2009. Didn't experience any loss of service. Also, I received an email that I should contact my local carrier to cancel my account. Does porting out automatically cancel it for me?