Porting - average time?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
srlish
Re: Porting - average time?

Post by srlish » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:44 pm

frenchcamp49er wrote:
srlish wrote:Finally, number ported quietly at 3:10pm this afternoon followed by an email confirmation!

OK I have my number disconnected, so how long of a wait for the port to complete? DO I need to do anything to the box?

Thanks,

Felix
Felix,
I was to be ported yesterday (read earlier posts) and got caught up in ooma's troubles. I spoke to a CR this am and was assured the porting would be completed by 5pm (pacific). As I mentioned it was done by 3pm (eastern). I would suggest rebooting your hub if you are experiencing any problems. If not, there is nothing that you need to do on your end.

buzzman

Post by buzzman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks for the info about Qwest. I called Qwest again (for the fifth time) and the CSR again reassured me that the porting will not affect my DSL service. A new account number will be assigned to my DSL line once the porting is completed. They also acknowledged that in the past, porting will disconnect both DSL and the landline, but assured me that this is not the case anymore. I received my LOA confirmation from Ooma over a week ago, and Qwest hasn't received the porting request yet.

Can you tell me how long it takes for Qwest to port your parents' number?
ihateqwest wrote:I didn't know where to put my comments, so I came here. I've had Ooma for about 1/2 year and everything has been fine (except the outage yesterday). I convinced my in-laws to get ooma. I told them (due to recommendations from Ooma and other users in this forum) to dis-associate their DSL service from their residential line with Qwest. I think there's another fancy name for this. I did this when I got Ooma, and everything went well. My in-laws have a basement appt in their home, so they asked Qwest to put their main number downstairs and create a new DSL account for upstairs and wait for Ooma to port their existing phone number. Well, it would take a novel and 10 hrs of my time to write down here what heart ache they went through and are still going through with Qwest to get it all straightened out. Qwest did say that you don't have to separate the service in anticipation of a porting order. They will automatically assign a new number to the remaining DSL service. They told us this after we submitted the separation order. Had I known this, I wouldn't have put my in-laws through the trouble they went through. To this day, they don't have internet service and Qwest doesn't want them as customers.

Now, I haven't seen it work (Qwest automatically assigning a new # for DSL when receiving a port order) but it wouldn't be a bad idea trying it.

frenchcamp49er

Post by frenchcamp49er » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:11 pm

srlish wrote:
frenchcamp49er wrote:
srlish wrote:Finally, number ported quietly at 3:10pm this afternoon followed by an email confirmation!

OK I have my number disconnected, so how long of a wait for the port to complete? DO I need to do anything to the box?

Thanks,

Felix
Felix,
I was to be ported yesterday (read earlier posts) and got caught up in ooma's troubles. I spoke to a CR this am and was assured the porting would be completed by 5pm (pacific). As I mentioned it was done by 3pm (eastern). I would suggest rebooting your hub if you are experiencing any problems. If not, there is nothing that you need to do on your end.
Still got no love. I wish they would hurry up, this is burning up my cell minutes.
Customer Since: January 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Hub/Scout; Telo 04/02/10
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since December 2009)

buzzman

Post by buzzman » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:06 am

Can anyone tell me what their porting time and their old carrier is?

Much appreciated.