Skylink Security System with Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
murphy
Re: Skylink Security System with Ooma

Post by murphy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:12 am

The Safewatch Pro 3000 is ADT's private branded version of the Vista 20P. It only supports CID. All other protocols were removed.

My recommendation, and what I did, is to retain a minimum cost land line for the alarm system. In my case it is a Verizon budget service line. No one but me knows the phone number. It has no regional or long distance service. Local calling is charged on a per call basis. The alarm company number is an 800 number which does not require long distance service since the called party pays for the call. The only phone that is connected to the line has it's ringer turned off. It is not used for anything except for the alarm. I consider it's cost part of the cost of having a monitored alarm system. If the alarm company needs to call me they call on my Ooma number.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Lilly's_Closet

Post by Lilly's_Closet » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:16 am

murphy wrote:The Safewatch Pro 3000 is ADT's private branded version of the Vista 20P. It only supports CID. All other protocols were removed.

My recommendation, and what I did, is to retain a minimum cost land line for the alarm system. In my case it is a Verizon budget service line. No one but me knows the phone number. It has no regional or long distance service. Local calling is charged on a per call basis. The alarm company number is an 800 number which does not require long distance service since the called party pays for the call. The only phone that is connected to the line has it's ringer turned off. It is not used for anything except for the alarm. I consider it's cost part of the cost of having a monitored alarm system. If the alarm company needs to call me they call on my Ooma number.
Ahh, it has been my experience that if can’t change your protocol to SIA Ooma will not work with your Alarm regardless of what you try. I could spend hours explaining the difference between the two protocols but with regards to Ooma it boils down to transmission speed. Ooma works better with the slower SIA protocol.

Other options:

Sign another contact with ADT and they will update your alarm. (this is a misnomer because the protocol you need is actually an older one)

Find out if they offer a wireless/wired adapter to connect to your existing network.

Compare the cost of mobile Cell for the alarm with cost of a landline for the alarm reporting (basically is a cell phone that integrates with your alarm ADT can provide additional details)

Consider switching providers to one that offers a wireless or wired network adapter.

anilpillai

Post by anilpillai » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:05 pm

I should apologize for vanishing after posting a question. Yes, it does work with Skylink Security System. Very well in fact.