Telo Handset Batteries

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Morpheus
Re: Telo Handset Batteries

Post by Morpheus » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:22 pm

EA PA wrote:I understand - high barrier of entry. Question comes from :

"You can Purchase one from us (Ooma) at 19.99 for the handset battery."
Before I paid Ooma 1 cent for a battery replacement I'd return my phone to Costco or Best Buy for a replacement. This has happened to me three times now and I've returned the handset for a replacement each time. I have two and it's not specifically one or the other. Another handset went dark yesterday. I took the battery out of the dark handset and placed it into the other working handset, and it was still dead. I put the battery from my working handset into the handset that was originally black, and it started working. The Ooma handsets are blowing these batteries out pretty fast. Ooma has to know of the problem and I'm guessing that why their phones are getting such low reviews.

These handset have to be costing Ooma a small percentage of their bottom line. One of these days they might introduce a upgraded handset to fix the problem.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:50 pm

Morpheus wrote:I've went through more than a dozen handsets, since the Telo was released. Thank goodness I bought through Costco.
Simply unbelievable. Have you ever thought that maybe Telo handsets and you are not meant to be?

With your disapproval of how Ooma implemented bluetooth and lack of headset jack, didn't I suggest some alternatives already? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8175&start=10#p57719

I suppose you are waiting for the newer model handsets to come out so that you can abuse the Costco return policy once again? :?

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:02 am

lbmofo wrote:
Morpheus wrote:I've went through more than a dozen handsets, since the Telo was released. Thank goodness I bought through Costco.
Simply unbelievable. Have you ever thought that maybe Telo handsets and you are not meant to be?

With your disapproval of how Ooma implemented bluetooth and lack of headset jack, didn't I suggest some alternatives already? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8175&start=10#p57719

I suppose you are waiting for the newer model handsets to come out so that you can abuse the Costco return policy once again? :?
Wow... I pay for great support from Costco and when I use it as intended, you call it abuse. I think it's abuse for companies like Ooma to distribute defective products. Thank goodness Costco stands behind their products with great support. Most companies only allow 30 day returns, and the problem with the Ooma handsets have, in some instances, happened after 30 days.

It's just too easy to return either to Best Buy or Costco then to deal with Ooma for these known problems. Ooma continues to send out these known defective handsets. Ooma wants to charge $19.95 for a replacement battery (not sure that's the end problem, possibly charger), and I can get the whole phone replaced for $0.00. You do the math...
This is not an isolated problem with just a few people, and shouldn't this be a question for Ooma?

They need to fix the problem and have a world wide recall for all handsets to be replaced.

psylcum

Post by psylcum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm

just got my handset from ooma today (after waiting for 1 month after ordering it....) and sure enough, it was a DOA.... the phone itself works but the LCD display doesn't work. i was able to pair it with the base unit by following printed instructions and guessing, but it doesn't look like i'll be able to keep this unit since the LCD is sorta important for silly things like CALLER ID.... etc... very disappointed with my experience with Ooma so far... will see how badly i want to slam them after talking to support regarding how they will handle this case... (since I had to CALL them to remind them of the fact that i ordered the handset 3 WEEKS after the fact for them to even SHIP the unit...)

chill22740

Post by chill22740 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:12 pm

thunderbird wrote:NiMH battery pack, model HB1001 for Telo Handset Price.

You can Purchase one from us (Ooma) at 19.99 for the handset battery.

for details please call us at 1-866-452-6662

Article at location below will give idea why NiMH battery packs fail and will only hold low charge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-met ... de_battery
Charging $19.95 for a replacement battery, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Ordered out of China direct for $3.26 per battery (free shipping.) http://www.sourcinggate.com/ni-mh-aaa-3 ... 11892.html

If the connector does not fit, I will cut and solder the wires off the current "dead" battery. The voltage is correct at 3.6 Volts and the mAh is slightly better at 800mAh. Anything is better than the battery that is currently in the phone. Aside from the battery, I dig the phone. And aside from Ooma wanting to charge $19.95 for a replacement battery, I really dig the Ooma service. I ditched Vonage for Ooma and have been VERY happy aside from the Telo Battery problems.

Dear Ooma,

Buy a thousand or so better batteries at $1-$2 per battery, and cut your users a break on the replacement battery price. We really like your service, but if we feel we are getting burned, we will go elsewhere.

- Ooma User

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:37 am

Good DIY solution...

For the less handy, I was thinking that Batteries Plus might be a more cost-effective solution. They will build a new battery pack too, though I'm not sure of cost in this case. When I needed a new battery for my Makita cordless drill, they were less expensive than buying a new battery (but not less than after-market alternatives on eBay).
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 am

Or you can try Radio Shack. Just bring the battery to their store and ask for way to find a cheap replacement.

It's not just the telo hand set, I have the same problem with my Panasonic Dect. 6.0 phone too, but it uses standard AAA rechargeable. However, these AAA is not cheap; it costs around $4/5 a piece.
tommies

drichar9

Post by drichar9 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:53 am

I got a quote from Battery Plus recently and they will re-build a new battery with your old connector provided by you for about 15.00 dollars... the new re-chargeable battery will take longer to charge but will last significantly longer.

rsg

Post by rsg » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Has anyone found a battery pack number, besides the "HB1001", that fits the handset? I have searched a bit and the various battery outfits have numerous 3.6V 700 mAh NiMH batteries to choose from. I cannot find a cross-reference of any kind. For example, will this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Energizer+- ... Id=8526384Energizer pack on sale at Best Buy work? Just wondering about physical size, mostly.
Feb '10 start date, telo & telo handset, premier.

alevitan

Post by alevitan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 am

An ooma rep sold me 2 batteries for $9.99 each and I after complained about paying for shipping twice, his manager made my shipping free! The part number on the shipping slip was 340-0115-100. Let's hope this part gets added onto the webpage for normal purchase as well as there be a software revision to remove quirks and improve reliability of the handset.