Experiencing Call Back After Call Ends

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
deeonline
Experiencing Call Back After Call Ends

Post by deeonline » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:58 am

I've installed my OOMA Telo module 2 days ago and enabled Google Voice Extensions (GVE) to integrate with my Google Voice Number (GVN). I use my current 2-line B&O Beocom 1 phones through Leviton Voice/Data distribution pannel--I do not use any OOMA Handsets. Everything seems to be working OK, except one thing. [Almost] Every time I place a call to another party, I experience a short call back (1 or 2 rings) right after I've hung up. When I answer the phone I usually hear OOMA dial tone. I don't know why the system is calling me back and whether this is related to GVE being in beta status. OOMA Customer service couldn't help. For now, I've disabled the GVE to see whether this issue goes away. Any helpful information will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

murphy

Re: Experiencing Call Back After Call Ends

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 am

Did you configure GVE with your main phone number instead of requesting a virtual number to use with GVE?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

deeonline

Post by deeonline » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:40 am

I've got a virtual number from OOMA and used it for both, GVE and GVN. Just as the OOMA instructions specify it.

deeonline

Post by deeonline » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:39 am

Here is an update on this issue. I've disabled Google Voice Extensions (GVE) in OOMA interface 2 days ago, but still experience random call backs. For example, today I've called one business, got their voicemail and hung up. Then, I got a call back a couple of seconds right after I hung up. The caller ID showed "Unknown" caller. When I answered the call, there was silence for a few seconds and then I've heard the voicemail prompt of the same company I've called in the first place. It looked like OOMA didn't hang up my call, dialed me back and connected me to that business voicemail again! Very strange. I've tried to replicate it, but didn't get any call back second time around. So far, the callback happen 1 out of 3-4 outbound calls or so.

deeonline

Post by deeonline » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:58 am

Almost 2 years later, the problem hasn't been resolved. Getting callback on almost every single call. For some reason, the system doesn't recognize that I ended the call and tries to reconnect me back. Very annoying. Looks like other users experience the same issue too.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 am

How are you hanging up the call?
It sounds like you are bouncing the hook switch which is interpreted as a flash and switches to the second line putting the first line on hold. When nothing happens on the second line it calls back to reconnect the call that was on hold.
If you are in the habit of depressing the hookswitch with your finger to hang up the call and then placing the receiver on the hook that will cause what you are experiencing. It will happen even if you don't have Premier and thus no second line.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

deeonline

Post by deeonline » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:40 am

I simply press the dedicated "End call" button on my cordless phone as usual. There is no other way to do it differently. I don't know why Telo translates this as "flash" instead of "hang up". And yes, it does happen even though I am not a Premier subscriber. When it rings back, I pick up and often hear "The instant second line is only available for Premier ...". Must've heard this a thousand times already.

I also have Leviton voice/data distribution panel in the house. I wonder if there are any issues with Telo not properly understanding this panel or something.

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:09 pm

deeonline wrote:I simply press the dedicated "End call" button on my cordless phone as usual. There is no other way to do it differently. I don't know why Telo translates this as "flash" instead of "hang up". And yes, it does happen even though I am not a Premier subscriber. When it rings back, I pick up and often hear "The instant second line is only available for Premier ...". Must've heard this a thousand times already.

I also have Leviton voice/data distribution panel in the house. I wonder if there are any issues with Telo not properly understanding this panel or something.
I have a Telo connected to a Leviton voice/data/video distribution panel and it works fine. On rare occasions, my wife gets the "call back" problem you've described but its caused by her hanging up the base station handset a bit roughly where it bounces slightly which causes a "flash" signal and thus the call back. I suspect your problem is caused by the partnership between your cordless phone and its base station wherein a flash-like situation is created. It might be a good idea for you to do a trial of another "base station/wireless phone" product (AT&T, Vtech, Panasonic, ...) and see if that corrects the issue. I have a DECT 6.0 AT&T two-line base/wireless 4-remote setup with a DECT 6.0 headset and the components work great with the Leviton and OOMA Telo VOIP setup.
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset

deeonline

Post by deeonline » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Cyberchat wrote:
deeonline wrote:I simply press the dedicated "End call" button on my cordless phone as usual. There is no other way to do it differently. I don't know why Telo translates this as "flash" instead of "hang up". And yes, it does happen even though I am not a Premier subscriber. When it rings back, I pick up and often hear "The instant second line is only available for Premier ...". Must've heard this a thousand times already.

I have a Telo connected to a Leviton voice/data/video distribution panel and it works fine. On rare occasions, my wife gets the "call back" problem you've described but its caused by her hanging up the base station handset a bit roughly where it bounces slightly which causes a "flash" signal and thus the call back. I suspect your problem is caused by the partnership between your cordless phone and its base station wherein a flash-like situation is created. It might be a good idea for you to do a trial of another "base station/wireless phone" product (AT&T, Vtech, Panasonic, ...) and see if that corrects the issue. I have a DECT 6.0 AT&T two-line base/wireless 4-remote setup with a DECT 6.0 headset and the components work great with the Leviton and OOMA Telo VOIP setup.
Good to hear someone has it working properly with Leviton panel. I think you are right about the cordless creating a "flash like" confusion. My phones are Beocom 6000. Though, I've used these phones on a land line with AT&T before and never had that issue. Seems like Telo is easier confused then the land line.

emmajoan

Post by emmajoan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 am

I am having this same problem. If I'm on hold with customer service and hang up, it calls back. If I've left a voicemail and I hang up, it calls back (and sometimes results in my voicemail not going through without me realizing it). I hit "end call" and not flash or anything. Would really appreciate if anyone had some tips on how to resolve this.