Sending fax with ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
sstein119
Re: Sending fax with ooma

Post by sstein119 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi:

Just acquired the ooma telo and set up a telephone number. I would like to fax with the canon fax phone 1170 or the brother MFC 7940. Any specific suggestions for each possibility rather than data above on the ooma hub. Thanks.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm

sstein119 wrote:Hi:

Just acquired the ooma telo and set up a telephone number. I would like to fax with the canon fax phone 1170 or the brother MFC 7940. Any specific suggestions for each possibility rather than data above on the ooma hub. Thanks.
If you read the previous posts in this thread more closely, you will see instructions for the Ooma Telo Faxing also.

sstein119

Post by sstein119 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Thanks. I will try these.

sstein119

Post by sstein119 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Also, if I will only have a dedicated fax line with no voice and will be sending primarily. Do I have to add the device and make preference choices. Please advise. Thanks.

sstein119

Post by sstein119 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Will I need a second line? Will I need Premier? Thanks.

rostedo

Post by rostedo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 pm

bcreekmore wrote:I know this has probably been covered a 100 times, but I am up against the wall at this point while trying to send faxes with ooma.....

Current configuration:
Fax connected directly to ooma Hub with no splitters into the phone port.
Fax is Dialing with *99, pause, then phone number. You get stutter tone after the *99, and hear the handshake....

Does anyone else have any other advise, since I know this works for some of the users here.
Did you have Ooma Support set the Hub line for "FAX mode"? If not, you might have them change this to see if it makes any difference. This can be set by the user for the Telos, but has to be done by Support for the Hub. The Faxing with Ooma support article says: Please note that when you enable “fax mode” your phone calls will be sent and received using a slightly different processing algorithm. This may result in a reduction of quality in your voice calls.

Had our second line set to "FAX mode" and assigned it to the Hub. Works great with our Brother MFC-3360C.... well, at least when I remember to include the *99. Voice quality is still good enough for use as a second line.

magnus2

Post by magnus2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:14 am

I've spent hours on trying to get Ooma to fax, read all the tricks, tried them, failed.
Called tech support and this system is really not set up to fax thru the computer unlike
a "hard line". Tried a few other suggestions and still only 1 fax ever went thru. (2 pages).
Now the sound quality is poor no matter what setting I change it to. It drops calls all the
time. I got the system in Dec 2010 and can't take it anymore. I just got thru to
Verizon, who was having trouble hearing me with the Ooma. I will port my number
back to Verizon. My job requires me to fax 20-30 pages on a regular basis. I need
to be able to call and receive calls that I can actually hear, and they hear me. You
truly get what you pay for!!!!!! Bye Bye, Ooma. I truly think that all the people who
love this system are paid Ooma employees....I have nothing good to say about it....

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 pm

magnus2:
It seems strange that If you have to send so many documents, that you wouldn't use E-mail. The data comes out perfect as compared to a Fax, and it's digital, so if required, the receiving party can use the digital information for their purposes. If you don't want the receiving party to be able to alter the digital documents, you just lock the document.

FYI, You could use a Fax service, here's what Shawn had to say.
Shawn wrote:Back to the drawing board. After a few success, it is no long working. I had the QoS at highest, *99, *98, *96, DSL filter backward and forward combinations still no go. Since I only need to send out and not receive a few faxes once in a while, it is not worth my time to find a Ooma solution.
I did find a very nice free service that will service my purpose. It is http://www.myfax.com/free. One can send free computer faxes from anywhere to 41 countries. The limitation is two per 24 hours and 10 pages max and file no larger than 10 mb.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Using a Canon MF 4370. Connected directly to Ooma, phone sits behind fax. Ooma sits in front of router.

Disabled QoS.

Baud setting at either 9600 or 14400.

ECM off.

Could not get a fax to go across until I added a "pause" after *99. The pause is the same button as redial.

Took awhile to figure this out as the fax would connect but eventually fail without the pause.

Hope this helps someone.

SoftBeard

Post by SoftBeard » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:08 pm

THIS HAS BEEN MY BIGGEST FRUSTRATION WITH OOMA. I SHOULD HAVE RESEARCHED VOIP AND FAXING BEFORE I TOOK THE PLUNGE. I SPENT 4 HOURS TRYING DIFFERENT SETTINGS AND RESOLUTIONS.

I EVENTUALLY POSTED IT VIA SNAIL MAIL. THAT WILL DELAY FINANCIAL REIMBURSEMENTS TO ME BY ABOUT A WEEK. DID I SAY I'M DISCOURAGED? :(

I CURRENTLY HAVE ECM = OFF; 9600 BAUD RATE; RESOLUTION FINE USING A BROTHER MFC-8680 DN A COMMERCIAL GRADE MULTIFUNCTION.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A FAXING DESTINATION THAT WOULD PROVIDE ME WITH QUALITY FEEDBACK?