Sending fax with ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Davesworld
Re: Sending fax with ooma

Post by Davesworld » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:39 pm

Still, the g.711 codec merely makes it possible to fax but it isn't the proper codec for it and you can't count on solid results every time. If you need to rely on fax you need a t.38 fax plan.

Kumar_Shah

Post by Kumar_Shah » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:04 am

I use Ooma Telo.

Here is what I had to do with my Windows 7 Home Premium machine, using an inexpensive USB fax modem I purchased from NewEgg for about $20:

Press "Start"
In "Search Programs and Files" enter "Set up Dialing Rules"
Click on "Set up Dialing Rules"
Under Dialing Rules tab, I selected "Home" (which I had previously set up; you may have to set up "New...." if you have not done so previously) and then "Edit...."
On the "Edit Locations" screen that appears, under the "General" tab"
Enter *99 in "To access an outside line for local calls, dial:"
Enter *99 in "To access an outside line for long-distance calls, dial:"
Press "Apply" and then "OK"

Now I can send faxes, which I could not previously. Curiously, I do not hear the phone being dialed on my speakers; may have to change some setting.

Kumar_Shah

Post by Kumar_Shah » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 am

Use Ooma Telo. Here is what I had to do with my Windows 7 Home Premium machine, using an inexpensive USB fax modem I purchased from NewEgg for about $20:

Press "Start"
In "Search Programs and Files" enter "Set up Dialing Rules"
Click on "Set up Dialing Rules"
Under Dialing Rules tab, I selected "Home" (which I had previously set up; you may have to set up "New...." if you have not done so previously) and then "Edit...."
On the "Edit Locations" screen that appears, under the "General" tab"
Enter *99 in "To access an outside line for local calls, dial:"
Enter *99 in "To access an outside line for long-distance calls, dial:"
Press "Apply" and then "OK"

Now I can send faxes, which I could not previously. Curiously, I do not hear the phone being dialed on my speakers; may have to change some setting.

mrjagster

Post by mrjagster » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:09 pm

My faxing set-up:

HP J6450
ECM Off
Baud Rate 33600
Telo before Router (AEBS)
QOS on Telo Set to 0 (default = 384)

I routinely send 8-10 page faxes (sometimes greater than 10) with no issues.
ooma customer since September 2007
ooma hardware: Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

sephk

Post by sephk » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:10 pm

Does NOT work with my Lexmark All-in-one X5470 + Ooma Core. I have tried everything from this forum. Extremely disappointed. Everything was fine on Vonage. This sucks. :x :x :x

mrjagster

Post by mrjagster » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:32 am

sephk wrote:Does NOT work with my Lexmark All-in-one X5470 + Ooma Core. I have tried everything from this forum. Extremely disappointed. Everything was fine on Vonage. This sucks. :x :x :x
Actually faxing is broken, or should I say sometimes it will work and other times it refuses. Ooma is aware. I'm hoping they will get this resolved sooner rather than later.

I had vonage as well. Ooma is far superior, and I saved a lot of green by switching.

Just be patient.They do respond to our issues.
ooma customer since September 2007
ooma hardware: Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

sephk

Post by sephk » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:26 pm

mrjagster wrote:
sephk wrote:Does NOT work with my Lexmark All-in-one X5470 + Ooma Core. I have tried everything from this forum. Extremely disappointed. Everything was fine on Vonage. This sucks. :x :x :x
Actually faxing is broken, or should I say sometimes it will work and other times it refuses. Ooma is aware. I'm hoping they will get this resolved sooner rather than later.

I had vonage as well. Ooma is far superior, and I saved a lot of green by switching.

Just be patient.They do respond to our issues.
Yeah I can see that it is iffy. I was finally able to fax with my thinkpad modem after 7 tries. I love Ooma, but just got extremely aggravated when I found out that I wasn't able to fax my expenses on the last day before due date (yeah procrastination, I know :P ). I never thought about researching this aspect of Ooma as I thought that both vonage and ooma are voip, so if it works on vonage it must work on ooma as well. Anyway, I hope they fix it soon. I am doing my bit by spreading the word about Ooma. As I said before, I love ooma.

asianchefs

Post by asianchefs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:51 pm

daet wrote:
bcreekmore wrote: Current configuration:

Fax connected directly to ooma Hub with no splitters into the phone port.
Fax is Dialing with *99, pause, then phone number. You get stutter tone after the *99, and hear the handshake.
ECM = OFF
Baud Rate = 9600

When using this config, it has failed 100% of the time.

Does anyone else have any other advise, since I know this works for some of the users here.
Hi, I just installed my Ooma hub yesterday, and had the exact same issue as you've described. Even with *99, and hearing the handshake, only about 1 out of 5 - 10 faxes went through. And it turns out that at the receiving end, the fax that I thought went through showed up as a receiving error.

I didn't have any issues receiving faxes at my Ooma hub-connected Brother MFC-7820N that were sent using a fax service such as FaxZero. I tried all sorts of settings, and have finally found one change that makes my fax work with 100% reliability for both sending and receiving.

On the Ooma hub, I've disabled QoS for the upstream internet stream. The default is 384 kbps, and before disabing it, I tried values that ranged from 50% to approximately 80% of my upstream bandwidth as estimated by http://whichvoip.com or http://speedtest.net. Nothing worked, until I went the other way, and disabled it. I've sent faxes to a variety of machines with no problem.

I've also moved my Ooma hub to be after my router, rather than before it - although this change doesn't appear to affect faxing.

Hope this helps you.
DG

Richard2011

Post by Richard2011 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:38 pm

I am having the same isshue, how exactly do you disable QOS?

jdorin

FAXing, potential solution - no one @ Ooma's listening

Post by jdorin » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:13 pm

I've had Ooma (Hub/Scout) 1½ years now. I'm very favorably impressed with the VOICE service, but gave up on trying to get FAXing to work after my first six frustrating months.

I'm a programmer, and have programmed some communications software, and think I have a solution to this debacle that doesn't have you impair your Quality of Service (QOS), but I can't find anyone at Ooma to share my thoughts with .. they provide no support.email address and I've not succeeded in getting one of their programmers on the phone. Honestly, they act like they have just 1 programmer and he's too busy, or too arrogant, to speak to just customers.

Every now and then through the forum you'll see mentions like "they do listen," and "they're working on it." So let's hope they do come up with a solution .. one of these days .. whomever the mysterious
"they" are.