PortingAT&T, what is recommended method

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
shastastan
Re: PortingAT&T, what is recommended method

Post by shastastan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi. I'm the guy who elected not to port but to discontinue the voice landline and keep the DSL. Supposedly, this all took place on August 4th. No down time that we noticed. Got a thick envelope in the mail yesterday. Telling me how to register and that the monthly rate is $48 per month. I was paying $35 and the rep I previously spoke to said that I could have the upgrade for $24.95 per month for a year. The confirm letter does not show that I have the elite service, but the Chat rep says that we do. The fine print says that they issue credits for reduced plan rates after 3 months. I hope this is true. Oh yeah, after I put the cd in the drive, I got a trojan virus message. Then it didn't want to let me use Firefox. Then I couldn't log in because I couldn't find some password from 4 years ago. Yes, I've got it now. Then I found out via chat that I don't have to register again. Oh well .......

So why am I posting here about this? Just to let my fellow Ooma users know to be very careful with AT&T.

tivoboy

Post by tivoboy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:29 am

turns out my PORT date, which was 8/12/2011 was exactly my AT&T billing date, which means I have a ZERO balance, no pro-rating junk or things to figure out. couldn't have ultimately worked out any better. I wonder if OOMA was able to check out my bill and figured they'd get it done on the bill date, in order to have no bill hassles?

Charles R

Post by Charles R » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:26 pm

tivoboy wrote:I wonder if OOMA was able to check out my bill and figured they'd get it done on the bill date, in order to have no bill hassles?
Nope. They ported my line regardless of the billing date. Were you within a 12-month promotion when you ported the number? I'm wondering if they are going to try and charge me a termination fee even though I switched to a Dry Loop (to be sure to avoid it).

tivoboy

Post by tivoboy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Charles R wrote:
tivoboy wrote:I wonder if OOMA was able to check out my bill and figured they'd get it done on the bill date, in order to have no bill hassles?
Nope. They ported my line regardless of the billing date. Were you within a 12-month promotion when you ported the number? I'm wondering if they are going to try and charge me a termination fee even though I switched to a Dry Loop (to be sure to avoid it).
nah, I had been on this line with AT&T for about four years now. finally had enough of oh bout 46$ a month in POTS fees for no reason. I'm the DUMB one for not doing it earlier, but the GF sort of thought it would be an issue not having a REAL phone.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:57 pm

tivoboy wrote:GF sort of thought it would be an issue not having a REAL phone.
Hey, I resemble that remark! :)
tivoboy wrote:turns out my PORT date, which was 8/12/2011 was exactly my AT&T billing date, which means I have a ZERO balance, no pro-rating junk or things to figure out. couldn't have ultimately worked out any better. I wonder if OOMA was able to check out my bill and figured they'd get it done on the bill date, in order to have no bill hassles?
Most likely, the final completion date was proposed by AT&T which Ooma agreed to.

Krieg

Post by Krieg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:22 am

Good info, thanks everyone. I submitted my port request last night, now just have to call ATT and change my account.

skhull

Post by skhull » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:20 pm

The method that worked well for me was:
- AT&T provides you with a new account number for the dry-loop DSL
- cancel DSL on the old/existing account that includes the phone number
- call AT&T to verify that they are cancelling ONLY the DSL on the old/existing account
- AT&T technician will need to install a new phone jack in the house or modify an existing jack that will be DSL only.
- once the dry-loop DSL is installed, I had to create a new login & password for the new account
- enter this information into either the router or the DSL modem depending on your particular setup
- begin the number porting process
Really not too complicated except for the fact that you get a new account number & login credentials for DSL.