Flashing red logo

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
JLI
Re: Flashing red logo

Post by JLI » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:12 pm

thunderbird wrote:JLI:
There has been a lot of lightening strike power surges going around this summer. Maybe that is what caused your problem? Even if you had a power surge protector strip, it still will damage the Ooma device.

There used to be an Ooma Hub to Ooma Telo replacement program, but when I clicked on the links, nothing comes up. If you contact Ooma Customer Support, ask them about it.

Contact Oooma Customer Support for the correct information for tranfering a replacement Ooma device to your account. I cut an pasted some of their instructions below:

Activating Your Ooma System

Have you received a replacement device? Do not use this online activation tool. Please contact customer support instead and they will restore your existing Ooma account onto your replacement device.

Are you upgrading your existing Ooma Hub to the new Ooma Telo? If so, please contact customer support directly. They will assist you with transferring your existing Ooma account over to your Ooma Telo.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
thunderbird: Thank you so much for the helps.

I am currently (has been for longer) out of the states, and perhaps can only upgrade the Ooma Hub to the new Ooma Telo when I will be in the states in next time.

What I am wondering and concerned with, is why this/similar problem happens? It is used for just 2 years and then does not work now at all. Is it quality issue or somethign else?

Is there any software avaialble for testing the Ooma Hub? Since there exists the admin portal by connecting Ooma to computer, the testing software should be availabel somewhere else, I think.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:25 pm

JLI wrote:thunderbird: Thank you so much for the helps.

I am currently (has been for longer) out of the states, and perhaps can only upgrade the Ooma Hub to the new Ooma Telo when I will be in the states in next time.

What I am wondering and concerned with, is why this/similar problem happens? It is used for just 2 years and then does not work now at all. Is it quality issue or somethign else?

Is there any software avaialble for testing the Ooma Hub? Since there exists the admin portal by connecting Ooma to computer, the testing software should be availabel somewhere else, I think.
There are still some new Ooma Hubs and Scouts out there:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=12&y=14

http://www.buy.com/prod/ooma-800-0114-2 ... 70604.html

If there was a lightening strike power surge, which the cause of the failure of you Ooma Hub probably was, a better Surge Suppressor power strip would be in order. This spring after a lightening strike power surge in my home, although I had Surge Suppressor power strips, I bought better power strips for all of my electronic gear. I still had to replace a refrigerator condenser fan and compressor start switch and capacitor. Also an air conditioner fan and compressor capacitor. But my Ooma Telo was protected, although it went off line, and I had to wait fifteen minutes for it to reload its information from the Ooma servers. I was lucky.
What I've read is that the Hub USB port had never been activated. There is no software that I know of. Internally Ooma may have some software, but it's not public, that I know of.

JLI

Post by JLI » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:17 am

thunderbird wrote:
JLI wrote:thunderbird: Thank you so much for the helps.

There are still some new Ooma Hubs and Scouts out there:

http://www.buy.com/prod/ooma-800-0114-2 ... 70604.html

If there was a lightening strike power surge, which the cause of the failure of you Ooma Hub probably was, a better Surge Suppressor power strip would be in order. This spring after a lightening strike power surge in my home, although I had Surge Suppressor power strips, I bought better power strips for all of my electronic gear. I still had to replace a refrigerator condenser fan and compressor start switch and capacitor. Also an air conditioner fan and compressor capacitor. But my Ooma Telo was protected, although it went off line, and I had to wait fifteen minutes for it to reload its information from the Ooma servers. I was lucky.
What I've read is that the Hub USB port had never been activated. There is no software that I know of. Internally Ooma may have some software, but it's not public, that I know of.
I saw on the Ooma Website which indicates the Ooma Hub is "Flexibility to integrate a landline" but Ooma Telo is not, what does this mean?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:17 am

JLI:
There was a time with both the Ooma Hub and Ooma Telo, where you could have another active phone provider line, like ATT, coming into your home. You could connect the ATT line into the Ooma device Wall port, and then answer all of your phone calls with one set of phones system. There were some other advantages and disavantages. But mostly disavantages. Not many people used this feature and many people that used it had problems from time to time. A few months ago, Ooma stopped providing this service for the Ooma Telo by blocking off the Ooma wall port.

Below are some threads that may help you understand:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11889&p=83524&hilit ... ate#p83524

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11708&p=82023&hilit ... ate#p82023

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10919&p=76086&hilit ... ate#p76086

JLI

Post by JLI » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:05 am

thunderbird wrote:JLI:
There was a time with both the Ooma Hub and Ooma Telo, where you could have another active phone provider line, like ATT, coming into your home. You could connect the ATT line into the Ooma device Wall port, and then answer all of your phone calls with one set of phones system. There were some other advantages and disavantages. But mostly disavantages. Not many people used this feature and many people that used it had problems from time to time. A few months ago, Ooma stopped providing this service for the Ooma Telo by blocking off the Ooma wall port.

Below are some threads that may help you understand:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11889&p=83524&hilit ... ate#p83524

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11708&p=82023&hilit ... ate#p82023

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10919&p=76086&hilit ... ate#p76086
Thank you for these.

BTW, I am wondering what's the motivation to me to continue with it? The device with price around $220 are just for 2 years, i.e., $110 per year, comparing with similar product & service which has much lower cost, do I need to continue with it?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:13 am

JLI wrote: BTW, I am wondering what's the motivation to me to continue with it? The device with price around $220 are just for 2 years, i.e., $110 per year, comparing with similar product & service which has much lower cost, do I need to continue with it?
I would be wondering the same thing.

The tipping point for me is that my wife, although at first she hated it, she now loves our Ooma Telo. So in my case, Case Closed, I wouldn't have a chose.

In late spring we had a lightening strike power surge at our home. Our Ooma Telo went off line and I though it was dead, although it was on a surge suppressor power strip. I was able to take it off line for a while and plug it back in, and it finally started and worked again. I was lucky with the Ooma Telo. But in our case, the lightening strike power surge damaged the kitchen refrigerator, and the air conditioner.

After reading about so many people having problems with their Ooma device soon after a thunder storm passed through, what I did was to replace all of my older electronic equipment surge suppressor power strips, with better quality surge suppressor power strips.

JLI

Post by JLI » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 am

thunderbird wrote:
JLI wrote: BTW, I am wondering what's the motivation to me to continue with it? The device with price around $220 are just for 2 years, i.e., $110 per year, comparing with similar product & service which has much lower cost, do I need to continue with it?
I would be wondering the same thing.

The tipping point for me is that my wife, although at first she hated it, she now loves our Ooma Telo. So in my case, Case Closed, I wouldn't have a chose.

In late spring we had a lightening strike power surge at our home. Our Ooma Telo went off line and I though it was dead, although it was on a surge suppressor power strip. I was able to take it off line for a while and plug it back in, and it finally started and worked again. I was lucky with the Ooma Telo. But in our case, the lightening strike power surge damaged the kitchen refrigerator, and the air conditioner.

After reading about so many people having problems with their Ooma device soon after a thunder storm passed through, what I did was to replace all of my older electronic equipment surge suppressor power strips, with better quality surge suppressor power strips.
My case perhaps is different from your one - I use it oversea from Day 1 in service, and here has no such lightening strike power surge etc. and my house is new with good power strips and the power surge protector exists, I am curious why it does not work right after it is in service 2 years. On the other side, the power to Ooma is AC110/220V converts to DC 12V, it would be quite few of case to damage the electronic devices, I never encounter excepting the Ooma.
Anywany, start thinking if will continue with it or try alternative.