Dozens of calls to DirecTV

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
WJBertrand
Dozens of calls to DirecTV

Post by WJBertrand » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Maybe this is normal as I have only had Ooma for a couple of weeks now, but I've recently noticed literally dozens of calls to DirecTV in my call log every day. This just started about 3 - 4 days ago on September second and has continued into today. I've been on Ooma since August 17th. I assume it is one or the other of my satellite boxes calling in to DirecTV.Sometimes when I pick up the phone I hear high pitched tones as though my DirecTV receiver already has the line. The calls are only a few seconds long each. Is this normal or do I need to correct something for/with DirecTV?
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA

thunderbird

Re: Dozens of calls to DirecTV

Post by thunderbird » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 pm

WJBertrand wrote:Maybe this is normal as I have only had Ooma for a couple of weeks now, but I've recently noticed literally dozens of calls to DirecTV in my call log every day. This just started about 3 - 4 days ago on September second and has continued into today. I've been on Ooma since August 17th. I assume it is one or the other of my satellite boxes calling in to DirecTV.Sometimes when I pick up the phone I hear high pitched tones as though my DirecTV receiver already has the line. The calls are only a few seconds long each. Is this normal or do I need to correct something for/with DirecTV?
Normally once a day this call happens, usually in the early AM, to update each Direct TV box. But if the phone call doesn't go through, then the Direct TV box will try again and repeat the call atempt. Try adding a *99 as a prefex to the Direct TV box phone call function.

WJBertrand

Post by WJBertrand » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Wow, fast answer! OK, thanks, I just did this after finding another thread that showed how to access the phone set up menu on my DVR. Do I have to do the same to my other box, which does not have a DVR in it? I'll see if this works or not. What confuses me is why it only started to do this the last couple of days?
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:22 pm

WJBertrand wrote:Wow, fast answer! OK, thanks, I just did this after finding another thread that showed how to access the phone set up menu on my DVR. Do I have to do the same to my other box, which does not have a DVR in it? I'll see if this works or not. What confuses me is why it only started to do this the last couple of days?
If the other box is connected to a phone cord, yes you have to do it also.

WJBertrand

Post by WJBertrand » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks for the help on this. The *99 seems to have one the trick. DirecTV made another call a few minutes after I made the prefix change, but there have been no more calls since. That one was longer than the previous ones so I think it up or downloaded what it was looking for.
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA

GoldBeachBiker

Post by GoldBeachBiker » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm

Does anyone know how to add the *99 for Dish Network?

Greg4ooma

Post by Greg4ooma » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:54 pm

I had to setup the same thing here. with DISH, its in the setup/install menu under PHONE... you can insert the *99 prefix.
then you can go into DIAGNOSTICS, and force an update.
GoldBeachBiker wrote:Does anyone know how to add the *99 for Dish Network?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 pm

GoldBeachBiker wrote:Does anyone know how to add the *99 for Dish Network?
Your Dish receiver may be configured slightly different by you should get the Idea. If not find you Dish Reciever Manual and it will tell you.

Using the Dish remote select menu.
Click on Installation.
Click on Phone System.
Select Touch Tone.
Select Prefex Code.
Move to Prefex and add *99 using the remote control key pad.
Click on Done.
Then hit Cancel three times or more to back out.

WJBertrand

Post by WJBertrand » Fri May 04, 2012 1:59 pm

OK, after adding the *99 prefix back in September to both my DirecTV receivers one or both of them have started making dozens of calls to DirecTV again! This just started a couple of days ago. Could the *99 I previously entered have some how gotten deleted? I'm going to check that when I get home but if the prefix is still there what else could cause this? Are there different prefixes I should use now?
WJBertrand
Ventura, CA

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm

WJBertrand wrote:OK, after adding the *99 prefix back in September to both my DirecTV receivers one or both of them have started making dozens of calls to DirecTV again! This just started a couple of days ago. Could the *99 I previously entered have some how gotten deleted? I'm going to check that when I get home but if the prefix is still there what else could cause this? Are there different prefixes I should use now?
If you have an Ooma Telo, *98 or *96 seems to work better.