OOMA freaking out on its own?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
pjx
OOMA freaking out on its own?

Post by pjx » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:54 am

I have an ooma telo and it starts doing things on its own. I wake up to it saying "Handset registration mode enabled" and it starts paging the handset by itself, and going back and forth, saying "do not disturb on" and "do not disturb off", all while flashing purple. I have to unplug it for a good 10 hours before it gets back to normal for 2 more days. I contacted OOMA tech support, and they sent me a replacement device, but the replacement is still doing it. I've had ooma for a year and a half, and nothing has changed in its setup or location. They said it could be something wireless causing the problem, but there is nothing new in my house. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and what the solution may be.

murphy

Re: OOMA freaking out on its own?

Post by murphy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:05 am

Do you have a cat?
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

stangale@pacbell.net

Post by stangale@pacbell.net » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:01 am

Our Telo's doing the same thing..
It keeps repeating "handset paging enabled" "handset registration enabled" and your Telo PIN is 4044".
Customer support says to reboot (duh) but problem persists.
The handsets randomly go off as if someone's pushing the paging button.
Customer service implies some wireless interference might be causing this but offers no solution.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:19 am

Some things to try:
*#*#511 - Toggle key press sound effects on/off.
Dial *#*#511 to turn on/off Touch Panel sound effects:
If you dial *#*#511, it will turn off/on audio announcements for all Ooma Telo button presses. Since the random "handset paging" announcements are a result of the Telo falsely thinking a button was pressed, this fix seems to take care of the problem. You can still play back voicemail from the Telo without any problem.

Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Try resetting the Telo handset(s):
To reset the Ooma hand set.
1. Turn off the HS by press & hold the End/Red button
2. Press & hold the two keys: Left soft key and '0' (zero) key
3. Turn on the HS by press the End/Red key
4. Let go the keys in step 2.
The HS will goes into auto registration mode, so you may have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

conman321

Post by conman321 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 pm

I've had the exact same behavior happen to me in the last month after having used the hub, problem free, for a year.

Tried the *#*#511, and still no luck.

Additionally, any call longer than 2:20 is abruptly cut off (and I hear a ooma dialtone), whether inbound or outbound.

tried cutting through my verizon actiontec firewall for the ports indicated, still no luck.

Anyone had similar problems?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:37 am

conman321 wrote:I've had the exact same behavior happen to me in the last month after having used the hub, problem free, for a year.

Tried the *#*#511, and still no luck.

Additionally, any call longer than 2:20 is abruptly cut off (and I hear a ooma dialtone), whether inbound or outbound.

tried cutting through my verizon actiontec firewall for the ports indicated, still no luck.

Anyone had similar problems?
Mine did the same thing not to long ago. What was happening was my wife would put her cell phone on the charge cord which is located on the same stand with the Ooma Telo. Some times she would place the charge cord very near to the upper right hand corner of the Ooma Telo. When the cell phone charge cord was moved away, the problem went away.

But after you check and make sure that now electrical/electonic object is close to the Ooma Telo, and you are still having problems, do the Ooma Telo factory reset.

For the dropped calls, if you haven't done so already do the following:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls and garbled voice, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

SRHALY

Post by SRHALY » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 am

What if your ooma is connected to your combo modem that also has wireless?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:26 am

SRHALY wrote:What if your ooma is connected to your combo modem that also has wireless?
SRHALY: What problem are you having?

conman321

Post by conman321 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Tried the MAC address and reboot solution - still no dice

Still getting the "handset paging enabled" intermittently, too - even after moving the device far away from other electronics.

Also getting an intermittent "beep" and briefly the ooma symbol turns pink. 1-2x per minute

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

conman321 wrote:Tried the MAC address and reboot solution - still no dice

Still getting the "handset paging enabled" intermittently, too - even after moving the device far away from other electronics.

Also getting an intermittent "beep" and briefly the ooma symbol turns pink. 1-2x per minute
If your Ooma device is still within the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer Support and have them send you a replacement Ooma Device. Ooma (after some more testing and troubleshooting) will send a replacement Ooma device, shipping prepaid. Also they will send a prepaid shipping label to send the defective Ooma device back. This unit is pre-programmed and all you have to do is disconnect the old unit, and connect the new unit, and you are good to go.
Or you could return your Ooma device for a replacement, from the place where you purchased it. If you do this, don't register the Ooma device on line. You have to call Ooma Customer Support and have them transfer your Ooma profile.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST