10/100Mbps or Gigabit (1000) Make Any Difference with Ooma?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
bmccollum
10/100Mbps or Gigabit (1000) Make Any Difference with Ooma?

Post by bmccollum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am

Trying to decide if I'm going to replace my parents' existing AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B integrated modem/router with a new router. Lots of issues going on with their Internet connection as a whole and subsequently their Ooma Telo device that may be related somewhat to the generally cruddy reviews out there with that 2Wire unit.

With this in mind, as far as Ethernet port speed concerning the best possible functioning of the Ooma Telo, does it matter if the new integrated modem/router I might purchase has Ethernet ports that are 10/100Mbps, or should I ideally look for a unit that has Gigabit (1000Mbps) Ethernet ports?

My parents don't do anything extensive with their wireless network... just general browsing of the Internet via a directly-connected computer and a wirelessly-connected laptop, and of course running the Ooma Telo.

Thanks for any recommendations on whether to find something with Gigabit Ethernet ports or if another device that just has 10/100Mbps ports is plenty sufficient in order to have the best experience with the Ooma Telo... I'm not sure if going from 10/100 to 1000 has any benefit performance-wise for the Ooma Telo.

murphy

Re: 10/100Mbps or Gigabit (1000) Make Any Difference with Ooma?

Post by murphy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 am

The Telo is 10/100. That is one of the reasons that my Telo is behind my router so it doesn't get in the way of the gigabit network.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:31 am

bmccollum:
One thing: If you purchase the 10/100Mbps modem/router you will be getting an older design.

If you purchase the 1000Mbps version modem/router, you know you will be getting a later probably more reliable designed modem/router.

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:40 pm

The answer is no. As Murphy said, Telo is 10/100 so the Gigabit network won't make it any better. You should focus on the quality of the internet connection and/or the modem.

To take advantage of the Gigabit network, you need to use the CAT6 network cables, patch cables, connectors, etc on your LAN.

Please note that all the wireless connections on the Gigabit router is no faster than one on the 100 routers.
tommies

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 pm

tommies wrote:The answer is no. As Murphy said, Telo is 10/100 so the Gigabit network won't make it any better. You should focus on the quality of the internet connection and/or the modem.

To take advantage of the Gigabit network, you need to use the CAT6 network cables, patch cables, connectors, etc on your LAN.
1000BASE-T (also known as IEEE 802.3ab) is a standard for gigabit Ethernet over copper wiring.
Each 1000BASE-T network segment can be a maximum length of 100 meters (328 feet), and must use Category 5 cable or better. Category 5e cable or Category 6 cable may also be used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet
tommies wrote: Please note that all the wireless connections on the Gigabit router is no faster than one on the 100 routers.

Greg4ooma

Post by Greg4ooma » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:14 pm

I have a NETGEAR WNDR3700 router (gigabit for wired ports).
This was more reason for putting the OOMA "behind" the router, so that the OOMA doesn't interfere with gigabit network speed if it was "before" the router. I also noticed that the OOMA stayed rather hot on the bottom with it in the middle, since all internet traffic was going thru it.
I have the OOMA plugged into a gigabit LAN port on the router, but since its 10/100, it doesn't improve anything.
Like others have said, adjusting QOS helps more than anything.

I'm happy to report that OOMA has been working great for me on my SECOND attempt. New OOMA box, NEW phone number....

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Many people that have used an AT&T two wire rig Modem/Routers can tell about all sorts of horror stories that they have experienced using an AT&T two wire rig Modem/Router, not even adding Ooma VoIP to the mix.

I don't want to tell anyone to purchase any certain router. I just want bmccollum to know if he purchases an older design modem/router for his parents; his parents could continue to have the problems that they are having now.

bmccollum

Post by bmccollum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:18 pm

I've had my eye on an ActionTec Wireless N modem and router combo unit. It has the number 784 in the model number I believe. Very high reviews, but I'll definitely keep your recommendations to look for one that has Gigabit Ethernet capabilities instead. The Actiontec is just 10/100.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 pm

bmccollum wrote:I've had my eye on an ActionTec Wireless N modem and router combo unit. It has the number 784 in the model number I believe. Very high reviews, but I'll definitely keep your recommendations to look for one that has Gigabit Ethernet capabilities instead. The Actiontec is just 10/100.
If you are interested in ActionTec, I think they sell a later style Modem/Router for AT&T DSL 2 wire rig use. You could call and see what models are available. Then go into the Internet or Amazon and read the reviews of the model number(s) modem/router that they give you.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/contactus.php

bmccollum

Post by bmccollum » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:05 am

Greg4ooma wrote:I have a NETGEAR WNDR3700 router (gigabit for wired ports).
This was more reason for putting the OOMA "behind" the router, so that the OOMA doesn't interfere with gigabit network speed if it was "before" the router. I also noticed that the OOMA stayed rather hot on the bottom with it in the middle, since all internet traffic was going thru it.
I have the OOMA plugged into a gigabit LAN port on the router, but since its 10/100, it doesn't improve anything.
Like others have said, adjusting QOS helps more than anything.

I'm happy to report that OOMA has been working great for me on my SECOND attempt. New OOMA box, NEW phone number....
That's interesting that you mentioned the WNDR3700... I actually did a bit of research on that specific router/modem yesterday prior to your post. So it sounds like you're happy with that unit as a whole and your Ooma Telo performs well connected to that modem/router?

Thanks again for the info.