gone red again

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
markltrumble
Red too!

Post by markltrumble » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:36 am

I'm in Colorado and my OOMA is red. no connection even though I have Internet Services.

number9

Re: Red too!

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:41 am

markltrumble wrote:I'm in Colorado and my OOMA is red. no connection even though I have Internet Services.
Have tried to power cycle the hub?
Plays PRS guitars

msegroves

Re: gone red again

Post by msegroves » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:41 am

I went red just a few minutes after 6AM Eastern time. And started working again a few minutes after 9. Would I be wrong in guessing that they don't have anyone watching that gear 24/7? Like maybe no one from about 9 PM until 6 AM Pacific time? And that this morning when they came in they found that they had to reboot something? A server or a router or something small and unimportant like that? Naughty, Naughty.

If you're going to offer people phone service, you're going to have to staff your data centers 24/7. Better pull out that business plan spreadsheet and redo that section on support costs. Those costs are going to be a lot higher than the initial estimates. A lot higher. Maybe it's time to rethink the business model.

skellener

Post by skellener » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:43 am

Was Red earlier. Cycled the cable modem and the Ooma. All is well.

Sherman Oaks, CA.

StealthCycling

Post by StealthCycling » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:45 am

Out in Calif

YipYip

Post by YipYip » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:06 am

I noticed a few hours ago that I was red in Salem, NH.
Tried cycling and didn't work.
Went to the status forum post, it said everything was okay >:(
Tried to call customer service, one ring, busy signal >:(
Gave up and went back to using my cell phone for the calls I needed to make today. It went blue a few minutes ago. Still blue so far.

Ooma needs to have a NOC that can at the very least provide status updates for all their users regardless of time zone.
They also need to make sure that their customer service telephone number doesn't hang up on people.

Not having those two things just tells their customers that they either don't have enough money to stay in business, or they don't actually care about their users. Unfortunately, these "actions" speak much louder than platitudes from webposts to the contrary.

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:59 am

msegroves wrote:I went red just a few minutes after 6AM Eastern time. And started working again a few minutes after 9. Would I be wrong in guessing that they don't have anyone watching that gear 24/7? Like maybe no one from about 9 PM until 6 AM Pacific time? And that this morning when they came in they found that they had to reboot something? A server or a router or something small and unimportant like that? Naughty, Naughty.

If you're going to offer people phone service, you're going to have to staff your data centers 24/7. Better pull out that business plan spreadsheet and redo that section on support costs. Those costs are going to be a lot higher than the initial estimates. A lot higher. Maybe it's time to rethink the business model.
Nice post................ Why don't you just ask them to go out of business so we all own pretty looking 'bricks'????? It's a startup business, for heaven sake! Have you subscribed to Premier service to help support the company???

Sifu

Post by Sifu » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 am

Cycled the power here in Beaverton, OR. Seemed to solve the problem, as I'm now back in the blue.

tsunamee

Post by tsunamee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:21 am

I'm in Oregon, still blinking red, recycled many times.

thively

Post by thively » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 am

msegroves wrote:Would I be wrong in guessing that they don't have anyone watching that gear 24/7?
I think that would be a wrong assumption.

In any internet service I've worked for, we have a system that monitors the up time health of the servers. Every 60 seconds it checks all servers and if they don't respond, an automated page goes to the network operations person.
Sometimes that person can be on call, which means they need to log in remotely to try to solve the issue, drive to the data center, or likely in Ooma's case, call the CDN who has 24/7 staffing support and have them do something.

The CDN usually has their own monitoring tools as well, but at what level depends on their client. They may check that the server is online, but not necessarily monitor the software running on the server (ooma likely does that.)

Such as system means the appropriate people are alerted immediately to start working on the problem or route around it. But that doesn't mean the fix is necessarily immediate.

There is also the possibility that they did a server software update and schedule it for early hours of the morning when call volume is low and for whatever reason it didn't go as planned. I would assume they have a strategy for 24/7 up time so that upgrades don't take out service, but if something went wrong, who knows what could happen.

I feel like I'm setting you up for all of the things that can go wrong. Usually they should not. But most companies with any significant number of customers have automated 24/7 monitoring.