Slow Internet speeds since installation

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
MathewC
Slow Internet speeds since installation

Post by MathewC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:47 am

Since I've installed Ooma my Internet speed has dropped to almost ZERO! There are some pages I just cant load period and others take hours to load and then dont even load with all the graphics.
For example Yahoo used to take a few seconds to load now it takes about 5 minutes and forget about getting search results to load. But then with Google, it loads within a few seconds as do search results but try clicking on one and it could take hours for the page to load.

My Ooma set up is as follows:

DSL Modem - Ooma - Router - Computers

Other info that may help:
I've not yet had a chance to contact my ISP to make sure my DSL is set to stand alone while I am porting my number, however since you dont have to port your number to Ooma I didnt think that should be causing a problem.
I still have one phone hooked to the wall (off the Ooma network) with a filter. Dont know whether or not that has anything to do with it but since it is off the Ooma network I would think it has not part in this.
I've rebooted my computer twice, i've cleared out Cookies and Temp Internet files and I've tried both IE and Firefox both with the same results.

So what is happening here? I didnt think Ooma would eat up my bandwidth like this. I didnt see anywhere in the documentation that stated you needed a certain download speed only that you need a certain upload speed.

Please help!

edit:
I just found something about logging into the Ooma hub from the setup.ooma.com and that there is a section for Download speed. If that is set to anything lower than what it should be could that be my problem? Or is that only for Ooma itself and has nothing to do with my browsing speeds?

murphy

Re: Slow Internet speeds since installation

Post by murphy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 am

You MUST configure your phone wiring so that the DSL signal does not get to the wall port of the hub or the scout. The ideal case is that the incoming line goes immediately to a DSL splitter. The DSL side goes ONLY to the DSL modem and no where else. The non DSL side feeds the entire house. No other DSL filters are used in the house.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:10 am

Hm another case of DSL and ooma HPNA interference. Please read this thread
by KTR
or this thread
by SouthSound
for some work around
tommies

MathewC

Post by MathewC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:30 am

murphy wrote:You MUST configure your phone wiring so that the DSL signal does not get to the wall port of the hub or the scout. The ideal case is that the incoming line goes immediately to a DSL splitter. The DSL side goes ONLY to the DSL modem and no where else. The non DSL side feeds the entire house. No other DSL filters are used in the house.
Ok yeah I do have the DSL splitter on the hub. So the HUB connection goes:

Jack
|
Ooma Splitter
/ \
/ \
DSL splitter Ooma Hub
| / |
DSL Modem -/ Router

Does that very sloppy flow chart make sense? :) So yeah I do have the DSL splitter on the HUB connection and I do not have the DSL filter on the Scout. But you are saying I need a second DSL splitter for the HUB?? That is where my problem lies?
I do also need to call my ISP and make sure my DSL and Phone are not bound together so I do not lose my internet access completely when the port goes through.

buzzman

Post by buzzman » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:44 am

The question is, how do you connect the hub to the scout? If you plug it in back to the wall, then it may interfere with your DSL (to my understanding anyway).
MathewC wrote:
murphy wrote:You MUST configure your phone wiring so that the DSL signal does not get to the wall port of the hub or the scout. The ideal case is that the incoming line goes immediately to a DSL splitter. The DSL side goes ONLY to the DSL modem and no where else. The non DSL side feeds the entire house. No other DSL filters are used in the house.
Ok yeah I do have the DSL splitter on the hub. So the HUB connection goes:

Jack
|
Ooma Splitter
/ \
/ \
DSL splitter Ooma Hub
| / |
DSL Modem -/ Router

Does that very sloppy flow chart make sense? :) So yeah I do have the DSL splitter on the HUB connection and I do not have the DSL filter on the Scout. But you are saying I need a second DSL splitter for the HUB?? That is where my problem lies?
I do also need to call my ISP and make sure my DSL and Phone are not bound together so I do not lose my internet access completely when the port goes through.

MathewC

Post by MathewC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:23 am

buzzman wrote:The question is, how do you connect the hub to the scout? If you plug it in back to the wall, then it may interfere with your DSL (to my understanding anyway).
See and that is what I was wondering about if I need a second DSL splitter because the book says to remove all DSL filters from your wall jacks and spefically says NOT to use it when installing the Scout.

So my Scout goes

Wall - Scout - Phone

I did try doing Wall - Filter - Scout - Phone but it didnt connect.

I read the firist of those two links (the one by KTR) and it was VERY complex and technical where they were actually adding new cabling to and from the phone box on the outside of the house. Ask me to cable your datacenter and I wont have a problem but ask me to mess with twisted pair and wiring a house no go. :( But the one thing that bothered me about that post was one of the Ooma people seemed confused as to why people are using a DLS splitter (filter) between the wall and the hub when the installation guide specifically says to leave the original DSL splitter conected to the cable coming from the DSL modem.
The other suggestion in that same post by KTR was to add a 2-way splitter instead of the Ooma splitter to the HUB and then a 3 way splitter where the Scout is hooked up and they had no issues and didnt have to rewire the house.
However I found his explaination of how he hooked the scout up to the 3 way splitter very confusing.
Here is what he said
My scout is in another part of the house, so to get there I use the black/yellow pair within my house wiring for transport. All of my jacks are wired for 2 lines, so I use a simple 3-way splitter (a/b/a+b) at both the jack feeding the ooma splitter and upstairs jack feeding the scout. The ooma splitter goes into 'a' - this is the pair which transports my dsl service. The cable coming out of the splitter inline between the dsl filter and the ooma wall port runs into port 'b'. Upstairs, the scout also runs from its wall port into port 'b'.
He also mentioned hooking a coupler to the male end of the 2 way splitter for the HUB which I am guessing is just one of those male - female converters but I still got confused by how it was hooked to the wall from that set up. Here is what he said about it
My solution was to place a common 2-way phone splitter between the dsl filter and the ooma hub's wall port. Attach a coupler to the male side of the 2-way splitter and run a cable between the coupler and the ooma wall port. Next, out of the 2-way splitter run one leg into the dsl filter.
Any thoughts on this? I am thinking I may just have to call Ooma support tonight when I get home and see if they can walk me through trying to correct this. But I have a feeling they may not be able to help me with it.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:13 am

Standard wiring in your home is provision for 2 telephone lines. If take the jack out of the wall you will (generally) see at least 4 wires, red, green, yellow, black.

The red, green is for "line 1" and the yellow, black is for "line 2" on the phone jack, the two inner most contacts is line 1 and the outer 2 are line 2.

When you have service from the telephone company voice & DSL come over line 1. The DSL filter BLOCKS the HPNA (DSL) signal to your phone, the DSL side is UNFILTERED.

Adding splitters to either one side of a DSL filter will do absolutely nothing.

What they are talking about is a Line 1, Line 2 splitter. This uses all four contacts in the wall jack and takes line 1 and puts that on the inside contacts.

But the most important part is that it takes line two and puts those on the inner most contacts on a separate jack.

See a std phone plug only has 2 contacts, the inner 2.

So, Go buy a couple of these from radio shack. like $5

DSL is on line 1 and Scout and hub go on line 2 and viola! everythings perfect

PS...you dont need any other splitters or filters

MathewC

Post by MathewC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:38 am

Sweet! So just get 2 2-way splitters or do I need 3-way splitters? Or one of each? Then hook my DSL modem up to line 1 and the HUB and scout to line 2 on the splitters?

knowing my luck my house wont be wired for two lines. :) Well it would be wired maybe but the wires may not be hooked up correctly. ;)

Just to get a picture in my mind let me draw a quick diagram to make sure I am understanding how the HUB will connect:

Wall - Standard Splitter - DLS modem
2 | |
|----------------- Ooma HUB - Router - Computers
|
Phone

Then the Scout would be simpler I would assume:

Wall - Standard Splitter - Scout - Phone

Sound right?

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 am

They are not standard splitters!

They are "2 Line Splitters"!

There is a big difference as described above. You can purchase these from the link in the previous post.

I would suggest that you unscrew a wall plate to see if you have a 4 wire or 2 wire setup. Look before you buy!

MathewC

Post by MathewC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:32 am

lohertz wrote:They are not standard splitters!

They are "2 Line Splitters"!

There is a big difference as described above. You can purchase these from the link in the previous post.

I would suggest that you unscrew a wall plate to see if you have a 4 wire or 2 wire setup. Look before you buy!

Ok so a GE Duplex In-Line Adapter - which is described as Adapter 1 Line to 2 would be what I want correct?
And yeah good idea to open up a plate and look. So I should have 4 wires hooked up not just two.