Slow Internet speeds since installation

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
lohertz
Re: Slow Internet speeds since installation

Post by lohertz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:38 am

MathewC wrote: Ok so a GE Duplex In-Line Adapter - which is described as Adapter 1 Line to 2 would be what I want correct?
No. A duplex is just creating 2 ports from one. You need a 2-Line splitter
Available at Home Depot
MathewC wrote: So I should have 4 wires hooked up not just two.
Correct. There should be 4 wires on each wall plate you plan to plug into for the hub and the scout
Last edited by lohertz on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:38 am

Matthew,

There seems to be a little confusion about the "splitters" you are being told to use. My post, referenced in Tommies reply to your first post, talks about a DSL Splitter. This is a specialized device that totally separates the DSL and voice signals. I have mine before any other wiring in the house and feed the DSL output to my modem directly. The voice port on the splitter feeds the rest of the house. This gives the best DSL performance because you don't load down the line with microfilters, etc.

You might want to read that post again - I think it will take out some of the confusion. http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1152&p=5869
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am

southsound wrote:Matthew,
There seems to be a little confusion about the "splitters" you are being told to use.
No confusion here. What you did was use a separate cable to connect your DSL modem. To do that you stripped out the HPN at the NIB
Now, the rest of the line beyond the NIB can be shared with other HPN signals.

The problem is the Ooma and the DSL are carried on the same frequency causing interference.

The last post in the thread describes exactly what I'm talking about.

Were just using the existing wires in the house by placing the scout on Line 2 or the "yellow and black" wires already ran in the house.

*Note - if you have newer construction, these wires will be orange and orange with white stripe for line 2 and blue and blue white for line 1

MathewC

Post by MathewC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:20 am

ok, to HomeDepot it is then. I just want to make sure that I understood everthing before I go out and buy the wrong item. I MAY have a dual line splitter from back the day when I had ISDN laying around, (remember those days??) if I use that on the Scout and the DSL Splitter on the Hub would it do the same as getting the two dual line splitters and leaving out the DSL splitter?

Oh and just curious you keep showing 3 port splitters. Do I need the ones with 3 ports or will the 2 port 2 line splitters work as well?

*sigh* If only U-Verse was in my area none of this would be an issue. :)

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:43 am

MathewC wrote:I MAY have a dual line splitter from back the day when I had ISDN laying around, (remember those days??) if I use that on the Scout and the DSL Splitter on the Hub would it do the same as getting the two dual line splitters and leaving out the DSL splitter?
No, the DSL Splitter wont do anything but connect to line 1 on both ports. Not sure about the ISDN, probably, because we had a dedicated line for that and was seperate from voice lines
MathewC wrote: Oh and just curious you keep showing 3 port splitters. Do I need the ones with 3 ports or will the 2 port 2 line splitters work as well?
Your best bet is to get the one pictured. Some package call them splitters, but all they do is connect two ports to line one. Every 2-Line splitter I've seen has 3 ports, 1 for line 1, 1 for line 2, and 1 for both as if it was an extension of the wall jack.
MathewC wrote: *sigh* If only U-Verse was in my area none of this would be an issue. :)
I would kill for FIOS...

MathewC

Post by MathewC » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:16 am

Ok sounds good looks like I am heading to Home Depot tonight on the way home. :)

Thanks for all the help!! Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to say Ooma rocks! Now I just hope that with all the extra fees AT&T and Dish are tacking on because of this that I will actually see some good savings.

MathewC

Re: Slow Internet speeds since installation (solved?)

Post by MathewC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:09 am

Well the 2-line splitters did not solve the issue even though looking at one of the wall jacks I had about 6 wires in there and I did see the connections lebeled as different lines. But after tormenting the Ooma support staff for about 45 minutes we were able to discover part of the problem and I appologize here because I probably should have mentioned this.

My config was

Wall -Modem - Ooma - Router - Computers

however because my modem is in Bridge mode and my router is in charge of the network Ooma was having issues with traffic and that was according to the support person the cause of my slow traffic.

he said I could either take the modem off bridge mode and have it be in charge of the network or I can hook the Ooma HUB to the router and then one of my computers to the HOME port in the Ooma HUB. When I did that we got blue lights and fast speeds again!

My only concern, and I will have to check this out when I have time, is will this config drop the one computer hooked to the Ooma HUB off my network. I dont believe so but since I dont know everything that Ooma does Im not sure.

But thank you all for your suggestions and your help!!

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:38 am

You don't need a computer plugged into ooma Home port, unless you don't have any spare ports in your router. In this case a cheap hub/switch would be all you need to expand your ports.

Wayne

MathewC

Post by MathewC » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:51 am

WayneDsr wrote:You don't need a computer plugged into ooma Home port, unless you don't have any spare ports in your router. In this case a cheap hub/switch would be all you need to expand your ports.

Wayne
Yeah I plan on getting a small switch to add to my network. :) Man next I need to do some serious cable management! :)
if I cabled a server in our datacenter like I cabled the computers in my office I would be on QA duty for weeks redoing it. :)

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:58 am

If you're going to do some serious cable management you can start here at my house! :-)

Wayne