Dissassemble a Scout - What's the trick?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Bill D
Dissassemble a Scout - What's the trick?

Post by Bill D » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:59 am

I only use my Scouts to check VM. One of them seems to have a loose speaker wire (or something) because it intermittently has been cutting out and today the audio is completely off. Reboots have no effect and it seems to do everything else correctly, so I very strongly suspect a bad speaker or wire inside.

I can't figure out how to disassemble this little bugger. Prying with a knife every which way during the entire Presidential debate last night did not work.

Ooma's mechanical designer did a great job at aesthetics by eliminating screws. If that designer reads this and has a heart - I beg him (or her) to have mercy and tell me the trick before I destroy one of their pretty little creations.

My second plea - With such an avid group on this site, surely a frustrated hacker has attempted to open a Scout and probably destroyed it, so they now know the trick. If that frustrated hacker is reading this (I feel your pain) please help me avoid transgressing down that same slippery slope of destruction.

Bill

Bill D

Re: Dissassemble a Scout - What's the trick?

Post by Bill D » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:40 am

Just in case someone stumbles upon this thread while searching for how to disassemble a Scout, I finally figured out the trick.

After disassembly, I found my speaker was broke (open). I called Ooma support for a replacement speaker and they nicely told me I was SOL, but I did learn how to test the speaker - simultaneously hold the rewind, fast forward and trash buttons to generate a steady tone.

If anybody has a bad Scout with a good speaker, please let me know (the speaker is small enough to mail in an envelope).

davidm

Post by davidm » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:28 am

I would think you could possibly get a replacement speaker near the same specifications which might work even if not the exact same part. You would think so anyway. If you can maybe post a picture and any identifying marks on the speaker. Maybe someone can help.

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:53 am

So what was the trick to disassemble?
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 am

davidm wrote:I would think you could possibly get a replacement speaker near the same specifications which might work even if not the exact same part. You would think so anyway. If you can maybe post a picture and any identifying marks on the speaker. Maybe someone can help.
Thanks for the reply - The Scout's 8 ohm speaker is 1-1/8" outside diameter and 3/16" thick. Any help would be appreciated. Scout's seem to be going on ebay for $40-$60 including shipping, so that's my last resort, or just do without a Scout and check my VM with my phone.
Skpr front 2in 1.jpg
Skpr front 2in 1.jpg (16.5KiB)Viewed 7565 times
Skpr back 2in 1.jpg
Skpr back 2in 1.jpg (14.33KiB)Viewed 7565 times
Last edited by Bill D on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 am

EricJRW wrote:So what was the trick to disassemble?
Pop off the back with a screwdriver. Remove the 2 screws behind it. Pry open the clamshell. Don't loose the little spring under the blue/red tab. It's easy to disassemble everything else from there. If you inadvertently "brick it" please mail me your speaker.
open 1.jpg
open 1.jpg (24.42KiB)Viewed 7561 times
open 3.jpg
open 3.jpg (28.16KiB)Viewed 7561 times
open 4.jpg
open 4.jpg (20.74KiB)Viewed 7561 times

davidm

Post by davidm » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Bill D wrote:
davidm wrote:I would think you could possibly get a replacement speaker near the same specifications which might work even if not the exact same part. You would think so anyway. If you can maybe post a picture and any identifying marks on the speaker. Maybe someone can help.
Thanks for the reply - The Scout's 8 ohm speaker is 1-1/8" outside diameter and 3/16" thick. Any help would be appreciated. Scout's seem to be going on ebay for $40-$60 including shipping, so that's my last resort, or just do without a Scout and check my VM with my phone.
Skpr front 2in 1.jpg
Skpr back 2in 1.jpg
If you feel up to it I would see if you can find a replacement speaker as close to the specs as possible. Maybe somewhere like: http://www.makershed.com/Speakers_Buzzers_s/151.htm

As long as it is 8 ohm and at least 0.8 Watts (preferably as close as possible to that as this is what your picture shows) as far as I know it should be okay as long as it fits in there. You may have to solder the connector or something but I don't see why it couldn't work. I only dabble in electronics here and there but I will keep my eyes open and see if I can find a good match. Also there are no other identifying marks on that speaker such as a company name or FCC ID? If you had that we might be able to get an exact match pretty easily. :)

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 pm

ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm

davidm & southsound,

Thank you both very much for the sources. They look very close. I'll wait a little while before I get on it - in case I'm lucky and someone stumbles on this thread with a dead Scout.

Bill D

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:06 pm

PROBLEM SOLVED

I keep my Hubs on backup power hidden in my wiring closet and only use my Scout for checking VM at my desk, so the solution to my broken Scout speaker problem was sooooooo obvious that I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it sooner - steal the speaker from my Hub!

So, I just had to also figure out how to disassemble a Hub. Turns out - It's easier than the Scout. There's screws under the label and under 3 of the 4 rubber feet.

Luckily, the Hub uses the same speaker as the Scout. Both patients are now fully recovered from the organ transplant and I'm fully back up and running just in time to watch another Presidential debate.