Callers can't dial voice mailbox extensions - (DTMF problem)

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
circlef
Re: Callers can't dial voice mailbox extensions - (DTMF problem)

Post by circlef » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Does anyone, that knows someone else with an ooma system, want to run the test? Place a call to the other system. Press a button and ask if the person at the other end heard hears the touchtone normally. Then have them push a button and do you hear the touchtone normally. This will determine if it is an ooma problem or a PSTN problem.
I have 2 Ooma systems at 2 different locations. I tried Murphy's test and called from 1 ooma system to the other ooma system and tried the tone on each end. On the calling phone I hear a click and on the called phone they hear a garbled scratching sound. No tones on either one.

I no nothing about the technical side but hopefully this will provide some good information for the tech crowd.
Member since January 2009 - Yep!
Premier Member - Yep! - Core and Scout =2 - Yep!
Saving Money - Yep! a lot - Love Ooma - You Bet!

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:05 am

murphy wrote:
Sorry but your explanation doesn't pass muster. Whether the call is an outbound call or an inbound call, outbound touchtones work fine and inbound touchtones don't work at all. They do not come through distorted or garbled. The audio path goes completely dead as soon as a touchtone starts and remains that way until the touchtone stops.
Hmm, just tried it and you're right. Something has changed. This bears some more investigation - let us take a look into it.
murphy wrote:
It would be interesting to see if the block occurs between two ooma numbers since that connection doesn't use the PSTN. Unfortunately two ooma numbers on the same hub / scout system can't call each other for some unfathomable reason. That prevents me from testing since I don't know anyone else that has an ooma system.
ooma-to-ooma uses a different call path, but I just tried it and it also does not work.

eschudy

Post by eschudy » Fri May 08, 2009 2:29 pm

I was told by an ooma support person that they specifically DON'T support DTMF - they have disabled it.

hornerdavidk

Post by hornerdavidk » Fri May 08, 2009 8:19 pm

Have you tried dialing *99 before your call like you would when sending a fax?

daet

Post by daet » Sat May 09, 2009 11:33 am

hornerdavidk wrote:Have you tried dialing *99 before your call like you would when sending a fax?
The problem isn't with DTMF on outgoing calls. DTMF is "blocked/stripped" on incoming calls. And for outgoing calls, the *99 prefix isn't needed for DTMF to work.

DG
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:35 am

eschudy wrote:I was told by an ooma support person that they specifically DON'T support DTMF - they have disabled it.
Hmm, makes me wonder if they've disabled it to prevent a call tree for a business.

go5star

Post by go5star » Wed May 20, 2009 11:22 am

OOMA Support!!!! Please fix the DTMF issue. I have installed one box at home and want to install 2 others but I need DTMF. If you really want more customers, stripping or not supporting standard features doesn't really help your case.

go5star

Post by go5star » Wed May 27, 2009 9:00 am

Dennis, what ever came of having a look into things????

o6richter

Post by o6richter » Thu May 28, 2009 9:43 pm

Yep, I'm having the same problems - called the cable tv company today who provides my internet and their first menu is "press 1 for english, para hablar en espanol marque el numero dos" - nothing worked, so I called a landine in my house and pressed 1 - nothing came through to the landline. I tried all digits - nothing. No hablar con la compania cable.

With all dialing menus, bank accounts, IVR systems, voicemail, pagers, cell phones, etc. DTMF signalling is MANDATORY on ANY phone line. Even 911 calls in some areas have an IVR front end "If you need police assistance press 1, for fire press 2, medical press 3" so this could be a MAJOR FCC issue if it causes problems for 911 calls going through.

There is no logical reason to disable DTMF with CPD (call progress detect). You're not going to get a free (open) dialtone out of asterix at the end of a call, especially with their new digital signalling.

Robert

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 29, 2009 2:57 am

DTMF works fine on outgoing calls (calls that you dial). It is blocked on incoming calls for some unknown reason.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx