Ooma Telo beeps for one second every 20 to 50 seconds

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
lite1
Ooma Telo beeps for one second every 20 to 50 seconds

Post by lite1 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:22 pm

Have had Ooma for about 4 months and been almost trouble free (modem, router, Ooma, telephone). No changes in computer and etc. Telo will beep once to several times during a minute; as much as 40 seconds between beeps and as little as 5 seconds, but typically about 30 seconds. Will disappear for hours, then start again.

The other symptom, which disappeared once I had unplugged power for just a minute, is that Telo would not let me delete new voice mail and kept moving voice mail from saved messages to new.

I believe Thunderbird has suggested a couple of basic "fixes," and am now doing the first part of unplugging power cord and cable to router for 20 minutes. Suggestion indicates to then test. I am assuming that if things are fine at that point one should not resort to the factory reset part of the instructions.

=======
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.
===========================================

As always, great to have such a good forum - would not have purchased Telo without having checked out forum first. Seems that some people on forum have more expertise than many at Ooma customer service - hats off to all of you.

thunderbird

Re: Ooma Telo beeps for one second every 20 to 50 seconds

Post by thunderbird » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:31 am

lite1:
If either of the previous suggestions, 20 minute power off and factory reset, doesn't help:
If your Ooma device is still within the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer Support and have them send you a replacement Ooma Device. Ooma (after some more testing and troubleshooting) will send a replacement Ooma device, shipping prepaid. Also they will send a prepaid shipping label to send the defective Ooma device back. This unit is pre-programmed and all you have to do is disconnect the old unit, and connect the new unit, and you are good to go.
Or you could return your Ooma device for a replacement, from the place where you purchased it. If you do this, don't register the Ooma device on line. You have to call Ooma Customer Support and have them transfer your Ooma profile.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST

lite1

Post by lite1 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks Thunderbird
1) Telo is only several months old; from another thread (something like Telo is doing things on its own) seems that you are someone has suggested return of device. While turning it off for 20 minutes has slowed down the number of beeps during a 30 minute time frame, they still occur.

2) What does a factory reset - reset? After doing that what if any customer customization has to be re-done? Immediately before dong a factory reset, should the unit be unplugged for 20 minutes? Thanks for any further clarification.

Of course these things often seem to happen during the weekend! Hope yours is a good one ...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 am

lite1 wrote:Thanks Thunderbird
1) Telo is only several months old; from another thread (something like Telo is doing things on its own) seems that you are someone has suggested return of device. While turning it off for 20 minutes has slowed down the number of beeps during a 30 minute time frame, they still occur.

2) What does a factory reset - reset? After doing that what if any customer customization has to be re-done? Immediately before dong a factory reset, should the unit be unplugged for 20 minutes? Thanks for any further clarification.

Of course these things often seem to happen during the weekend! Hope yours is a good one ...
Powering off the Ooma device for One hour, instead of 20 minutes, adds another parameter that is reset. You could try the One hour reset first before the Ooma Telo factory reset. The reset allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/correct/reset your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

karengfw

Post by karengfw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:50 am

I've had Ooma for about 3 months and just returned my phone set (GE) and got a new one (ATT) and still having this BEEP that is driving me nuts. Just read everything on phoneset and Ooma and then found this forum. I am waiting for this RESET to finish now and crossing my fingers. I am glad to hear tho, that if it does not go away, I can get a replacement unit which should not BEEP when I'm using my phone. I was about ready to take Ooma back to the store too. I still may. Cannot live with incessant beeping anymore. Ooma, you are on notice - we don't like warning beeps that mean nothing!

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:03 am

karengfw wrote:I've had Ooma for about 3 months and just returned my phone set (GE) and got a new one (ATT) and still having this BEEP that is driving me nuts. Just read everything on phoneset and Ooma and then found this forum. I am waiting for this RESET to finish now and crossing my fingers. I am glad to hear tho, that if it does not go away, I can get a replacement unit which should not BEEP when I'm using my phone. I was about ready to take Ooma back to the store too. I still may. Cannot live with incessant beeping anymore. Ooma, you are on notice - we don't like warning beeps that mean nothing!
Just an idea... is all your credit card info correct online?

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

karengfw

Post by karengfw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02 am

Yes, Wayne, the $4.90ish charges have posted every month. I just did 2 different things. First, I ran the *#**099 reset and I tested calling my friend and the beeping continued. So next I decided to reconnect ooma directly to the modem and it is now the feed to my router. It BETTER NOT slow up my Internet connection, cuz frankly, that is more important to me. And I will be testing it again in a minute. I did not leave the power off ooma for 20 or 60 minutes yet. That now would mean that my Internet would be down all that time. I'm I computer person, so I need to plan on that time. I wondered if any of ooma's "trial" premium services was a reason for the warning beep. It has now expired and I deleted all the voice messages, in case it was telling me I had one (tho they were not NEW). I will post my findings here. Anyone else with ideas, please chime in.

karengfw

Post by karengfw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:34 pm

Ok, last test. I still had the beeping after puttng my cable modem directly into ooma and jumping it to my router. Now I'm gonna power down ooma for at least 20 minutes so my PC will be offline too. If this doesn't work, I will be reaching Cust.Service to replace the ooma telo. Such unproductive days, so irritating...

I wonder if "lite1" ever got this fixed....

karengfw

Post by karengfw » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:04 pm

I've now turned my ooma modem off for 30 minutes and then back on. Now the beeps are being heard only by the person on the other end of the conversation (not me) but it is just as annoying to her. The beep/warning signal has not stopped tho. I will give it a rest tonite and test one more time tomorrow before sending it back for a refund. I'm angry. I don't want to pay outrageous monthly fees to bill me for using my Internet connection to VOIP talk. Wish this worked...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:13 pm

karengfw wrote:I've now turned my ooma modem off for 30 minutes and then back on. Now the beeps are being heard only by the person on the other end of the conversation (not me) but it is just as annoying to her. The beep/warning signal has not stopped tho. I will give it a rest tonite and test one more time tomorrow before sending it back for a refund. I'm angry. I don't want to pay outrageous monthly fees to bill me for using my Internet connection to VOIP talk. Wish this worked...
If either of the previous suggestions, 20 minute power off and factory reset, doesn't help:
If your Ooma device is still within the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer Support and have them send you a replacement Ooma Device. Ooma (after some more testing and troubleshooting) will send a replacement Ooma device, shipping prepaid. Also they will send a prepaid shipping label to send the defective Ooma device back. This unit is pre-programmed and all you have to do is disconnect the old unit, and connect the new unit, and you are good to go.
Or you could return your Ooma device for a replacement, from the place where you purchased it. If you do this, don't register the Ooma device on line. You have to call Ooma Customer Support and have them transfer your Ooma profile.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST