New Core Activation Asking for Credit Card?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Oomagumma
Re: New Core Activation Asking for Credit Card?

Post by Oomagumma » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:42 pm

The VP I spoke with ultimately transferred my information to another VP and after a few conversations this guy finally was able to reset something in the database which corrected my problem. He said he could see where someone had modified a portion of the database record on Friday but that it looked like they only completed some of the what had to be changed. He made the changes necessary and all seems to be well now. The activation then went through like I had originally expected it to. All is well now.

I appreciate Ooma finally resolving my issue. I wish that it didn't take so many phone calls, emails, etc. to get this done. The process of getting this straightened out was way more problematic than it should have been but, in the end, I'm still happy with Ooma and I wish them much success in the future. Thanks for the help and guidance others in this thread provided.

pca

Post by pca » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 am

I am having the same problem. I have a Oooma Core (Hub/Scout Combo) that I purchased at Radio Shack a year and a half to 2 years ago. I activated my unit on 01-31-2012 without a credit card, but my dashboard says I have to pay taxes and fees, which I should not (I bought the same unit for my parents a year ago and set it up with no fees or credit card required).

I am now getting voicemails saying that my service is going to be disconnected for non-payment. I have tried calling in to support for help, but I am told all units must pay taxes and fees period. I don't know what to do. This is very frustrating.

pca

Post by pca » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:37 am

I call support and I get hung up on, I chat live and I get worthless info. Once again, very frustrating.

Mico: Hi, My name is Mico. How may I help you?
You: I have a Oooma Core (Hub/Scout Combo) that I purchased at Radio Shack a year and a half to 2 years ago. I activated my unit on 01-31-2012 without a credit card, but my dashboard says I have to pay taxes and fees, which I should not. According to the links below, there are no fees for the Hub/Scout Combination (core) -- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13398&start=20
You: https://www.ooma.com/blog/how-oomas-ter ... customers/
Mico: Reading now..
Mico: May I ask for your Ooma phone number please?
You: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Mico: Thank you for the phone number. I'll check on your record.
Mico: As I can see , your account has monthly taxes and fees. This account is under the new terms and conditions.
Mico: Honestly, everyone now is already under the new terms and conditions
Mico: Your device has just been activated last 2012-02-01 so it really has to be under the new terms and conditions.
Mico: https://www.ooma.com/blog/how-oomas-ter ... customers/ > only applies to our long time customers.
You: But in reading the link above, the other person with the same unit as mine activated a month AFTER me and has no fees
Mico: Yes, they are considered has white rabbit customers who purchased the Ooma way back 2 or 3 years ago
Mico: only 800 customer has been exempted to taxes and fees
You: But I also purchased mine 2 years ago as well
Mico: But now that we had over 275,000 customers, we can no longer cover all of the taxes and fees mandated by the government.
Mico: Apparently, you just activated your device now.
Mico: Looks like you have purchased this last 2012-01-06
You: I activated on 01-31-2012 without a credit card
Mico: But we still need the card info on file. Otherwise, your account will be suspended .
You: I purchased it from Radio Shack in late fall of 2009 early 2010
Mico: I am referring to the record that show in your account. However, if you want, you may call our Customer Care Department at your earliest convenience at 1.888.711.6662 Monday - Friday, 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM, or Saturday & Sunday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Pacific Time.
You: Thank you for all your help.
Mico: You're very much welcome!
Mico: Is there anything else that I may assist you with?
You: No
Mico: Thank you for choosing Ooma, we appreciate your business!
Mico has disconnected.

Oomagumma

Post by Oomagumma » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:23 pm

When you go in the "Account" section, what does it show your service level as? If it shows "Core" and you are being asked to pay taxes and fees then I would be particularly concerned. That would rather strongly suggest that it was recognized as a core activation and you were still set up as a tax/fee paying customer. If that's the case, something about how Ooma is choosing to honor these may have changed. I kind of doubt that's what has happened though.

The Hub in my Core package seemed to not be seen as part of a Core activation and it was asking me for a credit card as I was going through the activation process. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is asked for a credit card when trying to activate a new Core package just abandon the activation process until you can get it cleared up through Ooma. If you activate it and then try to clear it up after the activation you may find it very difficult to get straightened out.

pca

Post by pca » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Mine did ask for a credit card during online activation, but it actually activated it without providing one at all. I had activated a Core system for my parents a year ago and it never asked for any credit card info at that time. Oddly enough, my parents unit shows the service level is: Core and under Taxes and fees: No payments due at this time, subject to Terms and Conditions (which actually links to https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms-and-conditions).

Service Level

Your service level is: Premier, Free Trial

Base service tier: Ooma Basic (U.S.)
Trial status: Trial ends in 9 days
Subscribe to Ooma Premier.
Taxes and fees: You are required to pay applicable taxes and fees each month. Click here to look up the payment amount.

System

Name: Ooma Hub (U.S.)
MAC Address: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Warranty: Active through 01/31/2013 (Extend now)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:19 am

pca wrote:Your service level is: Premier, Free Trial

Base service tier: Ooma Basic (U.S.)
Trial status: Trial ends in 9 days
Subscribe to Ooma Premier.
Taxes and fees: You are required to pay applicable taxes and fees each month. Click here to look up the payment amount.

System

Name: Ooma Hub (U.S.)
MAC Address: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Warranty: Active through 01/31/2013 (Extend now)
Your activation was definitely not Core activation. It is difficult to imagine that the page asking for billing/credit card info allowed you to move forward without any info put in.

ndivad

Post by ndivad » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Hello Everyone,

Quick Summary
I'm reaching out for advice about this topic of reactivating an Ooma Core.. I'm exhausted from the countless hours convincing Ooma that my reactivated Ooma Core device/account be exempt from the monthly fee. Basically, the Ooma supervisor refuses to re-instate my account to how it was before they deactivated it. Instead, they were unresponsive; offering patronizing answers.. like this afternoon when discussing Nuprin's post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12151

..The supervisor's response was that if Nuprin re-activated an Ooma Core as mentioned in the post, Nuprin is indeed under the new terms, and thus paying monthly fees. This sounds like a disingenuous answer, because it's obvious that I could not prove otherwise. There wasn't much else I could say after that, so ends the conversation.

A few hours have passed now, but this experience isn't sitting well with me, so I'm peaking out from my shyness just for a bit. :) Oh, btw, I hope it's ok that I'm cross posting to both threads mentioned here. So yea, I'm hoping to hear a little about your experiences, and perhaps offer some next steps advice. Nuprin/Oomagumma, what do you think of the supervisor's response?

Details
Well that's the gist of it, but if you're interested, here are the details. In the middle of January, I called to reactivate my Ooma Core primary account, because they cancelled it a month back (in Dec). Even though i log in and use it from time to time, it turns out that the device itself needed to be plug in. Luckily I was able to retrieve my existing number, but the reps and their supervisor insists that I'm now responsible for the monthly fees because it's considered a new account.

I believe the terms are tied to the device itself, (not to the account) and thus they should reinstate my account as before, without the fees. It's been very frustrating, because the Ooma reps failed to offer any sincere explanation or support, and were unable to clarify if the terms are indeed connected to the device or to the account holder. Supervisor Rob's continued response was that all activation are now non-exempt from the fee. When hard pressed, he said that the terms are connected in tandem to both the account and the device. (???) He did not offer any more specifics.

Basically all I got were contradictory answers or non-answers (like the above or sometimes this: "Yes, but that's different"). Another inconsistency: if my account was considered a new account, then based on Oomagumma's post:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13398&p=94287)

I should also be grandfathered in, correct? But here's Ooma's response:
This is in regards to ticket number 130207-000687
About Core device and reactivation fee.

I consulted our highest managers on this one. This is the forum post you mentioned
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13398&start=0&hilit ... redit+card

This is a totally separate issue. The affected customer had a Core device that was never activated. Your device was terminated due to being dormant. Please keep in mind that as per our terms and conditions if a device is offline for more than 6 months, we reserve the right to terminate service. We notified you in November to plug the device in and unfortunately you failed to take action. The account was cancelled after 30 days as a result.
Based on this response, it seems I'm being punished for not plugging in the device... Does that sound right?

I'd be grateful for anyone's thoughts out there.

--David

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 pm

David,

T&C: https://www.ooma.com/legal/terms-and-conditions

"If, for whatever reason, you cease to use the Equipment for six months, we reserve the right to reassign your phone number to someone else's equipment. In the event you wish to re-activate your Equipment, we will re-issue you a new phone number, and you may incur re-activation charges."

Seems like your Ooma got deactivated after 6 months of none use (not connected to the internet).

This post talked about this: /viewtopic.php?t=12590#p88156

Since your device is deactivated, to re-activate, Device Reactivation Fee (transfer of ownership) is $79.99

https://www.ooma.com/legal/rates

Since 2012, for new activations, no matter what kind of device, Ooma required monthly taxes (Regulatory Recovery Fees).

/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14648&start=10#p102159