Lifespan Estimate of Ooma Box

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
triton46
Lifespan Estimate of Ooma Box

Post by triton46 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I just passed a blissful year with my Ooma box. I have had no trouble and enjoy the service quite a bit. The yearly reminder came up to purchase a 1-year warranty...which got me thinking...how long do these things last? I have computers (I work in IT) that have lasted for years with little to no hardware failures. If the Ooma box lasts 5 years, it would negate getting the warranty every year.

Since I have only had it a year. Can other members (+3 years) comment on their hardware experence?

Cyberchat

Re: Lifespan Estimate of Ooma Box

Post by Cyberchat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:06 pm

triton46 wrote:I just passed a blissful year with my Ooma box. I have had no trouble and enjoy the service quite a bit. The yearly reminder came up to purchase a 1-year warranty...which got me thinking...how long do these things last? I have computers (I work in IT) that have lasted for years with little to no hardware failures. If the Ooma box lasts 5 years, it would negate getting the warranty every year.

Since I have only had it a year. Can other members (+3 years) comment on their hardware experence?
Triton46,

I've been an OOMA Telo User for about two years, not +3 years. I noted from several discussions in this forum that the Telo seemed to have a number of failures requiring a replcement from about 15-24 months. I purchased the two-year extended warranty because of this information. My Telo failed at 19 months in spite of the fact that is was hooked up to a UPS system with strong surge protection. OOMA Customer Support got the replacement Telo to me (about 2500 miles) on the second day. Its been fine since. If offered, I'll continue to purchase the extended warranty for this product.

By the way in spite of this single issue, I'm a very satisfied OOMA Customer. I've had very good to excellent service during the past two years. I achieved payback for my purchase of the Telo and an OOMA Handset in less than five months and its been gravy since then.
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Had my ooma hub since Jan 2009, never had an issue with it and it's our main phone line at this time. Also, have an ooma Telo since late 2009 and the only issue I had was a bad fitting power supply, which ooma took care of. Telo is still going strong and operating via wireless. Love that feature.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 am

WayneDsr wrote:Had my ooma hub since Jan 2009, never had an issue with it and it's our main phone line at this time. Also, have an ooma Telo since late 2009 and the only issue I had was a bad fitting power supply, which ooma took care of. Telo is still going strong and operating via wireless. Love that feature.

Wayne
I'm in the same boat as Wayne... Got my Hub in June of 2009 and my Telo later that year. Both still working great! :cool:
Go AVS!

rmueller

Post by rmueller » Tue May 01, 2012 8:40 am

I think mine just died, and I don't know what to do next.

See: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13709
Ooma customer since July, 2009
Ooma original hub, DSL: AT&T, Modem: Dlink DIR-655

nebebo

Post by nebebo » Sat May 12, 2012 5:57 am

i am at 3+ years and mine is still working.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 am

rmueller wrote:I think mine just died, and I don't know what to do next.

See: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13709
When powered do you have any lights showing on your Ooma device?

If there are no lights at all, the problem may be your power adapter?

adi

Post by adi » Thu May 17, 2012 4:52 pm

Mine died 3 weeks ago (out of the blue) and lasted around 27 months. I paid 250 .. so it's around 10 bucks a month. And now that we have to pay the monthly fee (~5 for CA) ... averages around 13-15 a month. I usually spend around 15-20 a month for international calls ... so I'm contemplating whether I should get a replacement Ooma Telo, or move over to Vonage. The deal breaker seems to be the extra features Vonage provides, that Ooma charges a further $10/mo (mobile app, 3-way calling, etc..)

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm

adi wrote:Mine died 3 weeks ago (out of the blue) and lasted around 27 months. I paid 250 .. so it's around 10 bucks a month. And now that we have to pay the monthly fee (~5 for CA) ... averages around 13-15 a month. I usually spend around 15-20 a month for international calls ... so I'm contemplating whether I should get a replacement Ooma Telo, or move over to Vonage. The deal breaker seems to be the extra features Vonage provides, that Ooma charges a further $10/mo (mobile app, 3-way calling, etc..)
I'd contact Ooma and see if you can purchase a refurbished unit which is quite a bit cheaper, with a one year Warranty. Another thing that Ooma does sometimes, if the unit failed just past the one year Warranty period, they may allow you to purchase an extended warranty, and then replace the defective unit. I don't know if they will do it now, but it's worth a try.

By the way, what were the symptoms when your Ooma device quit?

contrarymary11

Post by contrarymary11 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:28 am

I have had our Ooma Telo for about ten years. We bought it at Sears shortly after moving into our current home in November 2011. I'm having some problems now which I think are due to the unit failing, so I guess we've done well. Otherwise, it has provided a good quality service and I've saved thousands of dollars in telephone bills.