Will phone (connected to front gate) still ring if I port?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
WayneDsr
Re: Will phone (connected to front gate) still ring if I port?

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:24 am

As I said before, if you plug your PHONE output on the hub into your phone jack in the wall, you will get ooma dialtone on all phone jacks in your house. No need for a Scout. Once you separate ooma from your landline you can try this out.

Wayne

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:19 pm

Question regarding Wayne's comment --

There is a certain voltage requirement for phones to work.. I believe a typical telephone line is about 50volts and when the phone rings it shoots up even higher.

So like Wayne pointed out when you plug the PHONE output on the hub into your phone jack in the wall, all the the other phone jacks are OOMA'd up as well.

Is the hub designed to take that kind of a load? (I have about 11 or more phone jacks)

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:37 pm

You would need to add up the REN Value of the combined phones, as you would any phone service. Most new phones don't require the voltage of the older ones to ring because they're not actual mechanical ringers.
Since I use cordless phones there really is no need for me to use every jack in my house.

Wayne

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I understand.. but I can't use Cordless phones,cell phones, wifi in my basement "it's a dead zone"! Ever since ooma I have no phone service in the basement!

Vonage worked fine... but again if the ATA died they usually replace it.
So just being cautious before I plug it in to the wall. My phones don't have "mechanical/bell" ringers.. but are powered through rj11

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:18 pm

Why can't you use a cordless phone in the basement?

Wayne

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Oh, and phones should have a REN value on the bottom somewhere.

I don't remember offhand the ooma hubs REN limit.

Wayne

Neubiee

Post by Neubiee » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:33 pm

WayneDsr wrote:Why can't you use a cordless phone in the basement?

Wayne
not just cordless.. anything wireless.. no reception.. something to do with brick, steel, cement

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:55 pm

So you have a black hole in your basement. Amazing.

According to my reading, the hub really has no limit on ringer value, but in the back of the book under FCC Wants You to Know:
The REN number is limited to 5.0, but I think they are refering to a landline regulation.
Most new phones today have their own power supplies and there's no need to get their ringer power from the phone line.
You can add a cordless base in your basement and use those phones just in the basement. No matter how many phones you have on that one base, the ringer value is just that of the base, not total of each phone.

Wayne

MarkNT

Post by MarkNT » Fri May 15, 2020 3:13 pm

11 Years Later and I have exactly the same problem. I have tried numerous configurations but cannot get my OOMA phone to recognize the gate and ring :-( Does anyone know if any progress has been made in the last 11 years. I have the most current OOMA Tello device configured wirelessly on my home network and have tried plugging telephone line from it to the wall jack and tried connecting it directly to my router (I realize that was grasping at straws) etc.