Making 2 simultaneous phone calls with Premier package

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
drchipster
Making 2 simultaneous phone calls with Premier package

Post by drchipster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Premier package gives you 2 (virtual) phone lines. If the first line is busy, supposedly you can still make a phone call on the 2nd line. That's the idea behind 2 phone lines. But I can't make it to work. I have a cordless phone system with 3 handsets. My wife was on line 1 (number 1 on the telo lit up). I picked up a handset to make a call but didn't get the dial tone and was conferenced to my wife's call. How do I make 2 simultaneous calls with the premier package?

kdmc69

Re: Making 2 simultaneous phone calls with Premier package

Post by kdmc69 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:34 pm

drchipster wrote:Premier package gives you 2 (virtual) phone lines. If the first line is busy, supposedly you can still make a phone call on the 2nd line. That's the idea behind 2 phone lines. But I can't make it to work. I have a cordless phone system with 3 handsets. My wife was on line 1 (number 1 on the telo lit up). I picked up a handset to make a call but didn't get the dial tone and was conferenced to my wife's call. How do I make 2 simultaneous calls with the premier package?
In order to take advantage of the 2nd. line feature, you must have a Telo handset.
Ooma Customer Since: August 2008
Ooma Equipment: 2 Telos + 2 HD2 Handsets
Ooma Service: Premier
Amped AC 1750 Router
TWC ->Router -> Telo1
TWC ->Router -> Telo2

drchipster

Post by drchipster » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:32 pm

kdmc69 wrote:
In order to take advantage of the 2nd. line feature, you must have a Telo handset.
The telo handset is out-of-stock on Ooma's website ($49.99). It's listed at twice the price on Amazon. The handset has very poor review. Rumor on this forum has it that a new version is released 'soon'. Who wants to spend $100 on a handset with such a bad review? And there's no guarantee the new handset is any better. This basically makes the second phone line (the most desirable feature of the premium package, IMO) useless. I'll cancel my premium subscription. I'm debating whether to buy another telo box and just subscribe to the basic package. I have no need for the other features of the premium package (blacklist, voice-to-text, etc). The telo box supports up to 4 handsets. Even at $49.99/handset it's $200 while I can get a Panasonic cordless phone system with 5 handsets for about $100. Furthermore, I can plug my old AT&T 993 2-line phone and my Plantronics CS55 wireless headset to the telo. I work at home and spend lot of time on long conference calls so the wireless headset is a must. The current telo handset doesn't have a headset plug and I'm told the new one only has a 3.5mm plug which doesn't work with my CS55 wireless headset. If anyone has any better idea, I'd like to hear.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:36 pm

If you can live with basic service and just want 2 lines, then 2 Ooma would work for you.
For others wanting premier features and true 2 line support, Linx Scout like device looks promising. Even the HD2 handset looks like a winner.

drchipster

Post by drchipster » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:52 pm

lbmofo wrote:If you can live with basic service and just want 2 lines, then 2 Ooma would work for you.
For others wanting premier features and true 2 line support, Linx Scout like device looks promising. Even the HD2 handset looks like a winner.
Where can I buy Linx or HD2 handset? I searched Ooma web site and found nothing. The following article said Ooma "intends" to release a wireless accessory ... http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-06/oom ... -extender/. I need something that works now, not "vaporware."

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:09 pm

HD2 is in beta test. Coming in fall. Linx is close to beta. So beyond vaporware. Linx will be released soon after HD2.

nlrhodes

Post by nlrhodes » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 am

You can install the bluetooth adaptor to the telo. That will enable you to use a bluetooth headset for wireless calling on your telo. I have also seen here, somewhere, that someone used a USB hub connected to the telo so they used the wireless connection to the router as we as something like the bluetooth adaptor. The premier package, while doesn't work completely without the telo handset, does give you some features with a second line such as three way calling.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12 am

nlrhodes wrote:You can install the bluetooth adaptor to the telo. That will enable you to use a bluetooth headset for wireless calling on your telo. I have also seen here, somewhere, that someone used a USB hub connected to the telo so they used the wireless connection to the router as we as something like the bluetooth adaptor. The premier package, while doesn't work completely without the telo handset, does give you some features with a second line such as three way calling.
Be sure to use an USB hub that is externally powered. You will find that your Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth range is extended when using a USB hub that uses external power.