Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
peabody
Re: Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Post by peabody » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:13 am

I think it's definitely the porting process that exposes the number to new telemarketer activity. I've been getting a lot more such calls in the year since I ported to Ooma from AT&T than I ever got before. But, the secondary number assigned by Ooma - I don't think I've ever received a call on that one. So maybe it's AT&T selling the number to the bad guys to raise some money or just make my experience at Ooma a poor one. Or maybe someone at Ooma is selling the info. Or it may just be that the info gets published automatically, like what happens when you enter a forwarding address at the P.O.

Edit: I should add that it's a damn shame that Caller ID can be spoofed.

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Now that I have Ooma Premium for two weeks I can say, telemarketers and all solicitor calls have decreased substantially. I am using the Community and Personal Blacklists. I have my original 10 entries from when I was with AT&T plus 3 new entries. I enter numbers only after I've received 3 calls in a short amount of time. (I've not yet involved Nomorobo but if I do I will continue to use the Community and my personal blacklist. I need to see how things go).

Now for the odd ball item that apparently is connected with getting Ooma. My number was ported. I had 3 calls with Caller I.D. being my OWN PHONE NUMBER with my name. I spoke to the person and learned the call was from Card Member Services. How do you like that form of spoofing your caller I.D. FYI: When I was with AT&T, I had received calls from Card Member Services but the Caller I.D. stated their phone number and listed them as "Card Member Services." I wonder if an Ooma Representative can tell me why/how an incoming call can show up as my phone number, the one I am answering, as if they are calling from MY number which is not possible? Why did this start when I joined Ooma???

Anyway, don't laugh guys and gals, I decided to add that incoming call, the one that says MY PHONE number and MY Name to my personal Blacklist. I see no reason why that could cause a problem. No way should ANYONE calling in that uses my credentials be anything but telemarketer crap! I might add my second Ooma number to the black list since I do not have a Linux setup or Ooma HD phone.

What's going on Mr. Ooma?

Ira

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:45 pm

Iraisok wrote: I had 3 calls with Caller I.D. being my OWN PHONE NUMBER with my name. I spoke to the person and learned the call was from Card Member Services. How do you like that form of spoofing your caller I.D. FYI: When I was with AT&T, I had received calls from Card Member Services but the Caller I.D. stated their phone number and listed them as "Card Member Services." I wonder if an Ooma Representative can tell me why/how an incoming call can show up as my phone number, the one I am answering, as if they are calling from MY number which is not possible? Why did this start when I joined Ooma???
When you use a personal number spoofing service, the company will call you back to connect the call. If you also give them your real phone number as the "spoofed number," you will see your own phone number and name on the incoming caller ID when they call you back.

I think you were just "lucky" to have Card Member Services happen to call after getting Ooma. They probably just wanted to lower your interest rate ahead of the holiday season. For some reason, they never seem to store the credit card number on file, because they always ask for it when they call.

I might add my second Ooma number to the black list since I do not have a Linux setup or Ooma HD phone.

What's going on Mr. Ooma?
Actually, you do have a "Linux setup" because all the Ooma Telo boxes use the Linux operating system.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:32 pm

When you use a personal number spoofing service, the company will call you back to connect the call. If you also give them your real phone number as the "spoofed number," you will see your own phone number and name on the incoming caller ID when they call you back.
1. I did not give my phone number to anyone. I would never provide ANYTHING to them and most of the time do not pick up phone. Where did you conclude that?

2. What are you talking about "personal spoofing service"? Where did i say that?
I was stating that the act of scammers somehow automatically changing their outgoing caller I.D. to that of who they are calling (intending to go around blacklists/blocking) is crap! I was sharing my method to block such scamming.... To simply entry my own phone number in the personal blacklist.
Does anyone feel doing this could cause problems?

3. I asked Ooma rep who reads posts to explain why when Card Sevices calls with Ooma it was my personal caller I.D. While with AT&T i would see THEIR caller I.D.?

Thought my last post was clear. Surprised you total misunderstanding.

RE: my mis use of the Linux involvement with Ooma. I should have just said I do not have the accessories to use my secondary line.

Ira

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Iraisok wrote:
1. I did not give my phone number to anyone. I would never provide ANYTHING to them and most of the time do not pick up phone. Where did you conclude that?

2. What are you talking about "personal spoofing service"? Where did i say that?
I was stating that the act of scammers somehow automatically changing their outgoing caller I.D. to that of who they are calling (intending to go around blacklists/blocking) is crap! I was sharing my method to block such scamming.... To simply entry my own phone number in the personal blacklist.
Does anyone feel doing this could cause problems?

3. I asked Ooma rep who reads posts to explain why when Card Sevices calls with Ooma it was my personal caller I.D. While with AT&T i would see THEIR caller I.D.?

Thought my last post was clear. Surprised you total misunderstanding.

RE: my mis use of the Linux involvement with Ooma. I should have just said I do not have the accessories to use my secondary line.

Ira
Obviously you were not using a spoofing service when you received the "card member services" calls, nor did I assume you ever had used such services in the past. Just letting you know how spoofing works. :) Yes, it is possible to receive a call from a scammer that appears to be coming from your own phone number or from an "innocent" third party. Another example, if you called your Ooma number from the Ooma mobile app, you would see your own name and number on the incoming caller ID.

The earlier caller on your AT&T line, who used a different number instead of spoofing yours, may have been an entirely different scammer. "Card member services" is quite a common scam. Ooma customers have added their own phone numbers to their personal blacklists to avoid spoofers and you will see many threads on the subject in the Forum. Here is an example of one that might help to answer your question: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17618
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Misha22

Post by Misha22 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:20 am

I am having the same issue. I think we shall complain to CRTC

Misha22

Post by Misha22 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 am

I am having the same issue. I think we shall complain to CRTC. There is something wrong with Ooma Management of data