Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
JimInBoulder
Re: Huge Increase in Telemarketers AFTER switching to Ooma

Post by JimInBoulder » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:37 pm

It's good to see that wildcard blocking has been enabled. However, I am unable to block a repeat caller with a phone number of "1", either using wildcard blocking or by selecting the caller in the call log. Ooma tells me it's an "invalid number format." OK, I know that...I still want to block the darn calls!

Cali4nian

Post by Cali4nian » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:01 pm

I agree with all who have seen an increase in telemarketing calls after porting their number to Ooma. I have been with Ooma for 4+ months and had re-registered my number with DoNotCall list as soon as number port was done, but to date nothing has changed. It has been so annoying that I am really regretting the decision of switching over to Ooma. :|
Also, it would be nice to have blacklist function as a separate add-on as I am not interested in all features provided by Premier for $10/mo. Even my crappy AT&T allowed unlisted and anonymous call block for $2.00/month.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:34 am

I stated this before but spikes to spam calls happen to others (not only Ooma customers) who port their numbers (if porting to non mobile phone).
Examples:
http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/ind ... 44465.html
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone ... d-p/359197
https://help.ting.com/entries/22491106- ... ing-number

Lurchbird

Post by Lurchbird » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:18 am

I just ported my number over last week from AT&T, and instantly started to get bombarded with telemarketing. My number is registered on the "National do Not Call Registry" (I just re-confirmed to make sure). I am not an Ooma premier member, and had not planned on becoming one. I do not feel that I have to pay for premier service to stop this. Is VoIP subject to different rules?

Mark

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:29 am

Lurchbird wrote: Is VoIP subject to different rules?

Mark
No, but political orgs are exempt, for example. Congress recently went on vacation for the fall campaign. 'Tis the season. :D
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Lurchbird

Post by Lurchbird » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:23 am

oomamaniacal wrote:political orgs are exempt, for example. Congress recently went on vacation for the fall campaign. 'Tis the season. :D
True. We've always received those. I should clarify that I'm talking about sales calls.

Mark
Last edited by Lurchbird on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spazmogen

Post by Spazmogen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:38 am

I am in Canada and am getting the spam calls from both USA & Canada based telemarketers, even though I am on the Canadian Do Not Call List and have been for 2 years.

I just re-registered my number (post Ooma port from Rogers). I hope that cures it.

phoenixtommy

Post by phoenixtommy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Maybe it's because I have had the same number for thirty years, but I don't receive more than an unwanted call or two each week. I've had Ooma for almost a year and a half and never noticed any difference in calls after porting my two number to Ooma. There's any number of reasons why you might have ending up on some spammers list, but I don't think they got your number from Ooma.

Lurchbird

Post by Lurchbird » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:37 am

I contacted Ooma support. Here is their reply.
Thank you for contacting our support team.

Customer satisfaction is important to us and we do apologize for the inconvenience.

Ooma do not publish your telephone number, you privacy is very important to us. The only way to block these types of call is using our “Blacklist” feature that is included in our Premier Plan.
Since I paid to port my phone number over, I might as well take advantage of their offer to apply that to their premier service. I'll admit that I'm a cheap SoB, and I had hoped to eliminate a phone bill (besides the taxes and fees). I'll also go back and see if AT&T provided a blacklist service as part of their plan. It seems to me as though they must have been doing something. There has to be an explanation for the spike.

Mark

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:22 pm

I found that the telemarketing calls after a port (I have done several) tailed off after a month or so. Premier is a good thing, though, and if you have it you can sign up for the Nomorobo service which requires multiring.
Steve