Can not connect to Ooma Network

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
artiecon
Can not connect to Ooma Network

Post by artiecon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:22 pm

I have had Ooma telo for about 7 months and have not had any difficulty with the system until today. Suddenly, with no changes to my network, I discovered the center logo flashing red. All other blue lights were as they should be. I rebooted the Ooma telo and, after the device goes through its boot process, the end result is the top 3 blue lights and the blue 1 and 2 lights are on, and the center logo is flashing red rapidly.

My network is provided by Telus with a combined DSL moem and route so the Ooma telo is connected behind the router to one of its ports. Nothing has been changed to my knowledge.

I have configured the Ooma so I can log in from my local network and the home page of the device shows the same as I described above. The information lines below the graphic are
Internet Connected with a green check mark
Ooma Network: Attempting to connect to Ooma network with a red X
Device Setings Configured with a green check mark

I spoke to a support person, who after having me reboot everything several times, and change network cables and router ports, told me the indications were that a firewall is in place and interferring. The router is Actiontec 1000 and the firewall can not be turned of. I had it set as minimal which allows most standard ports to allow in and out bound traffic and had had no problems, but after the support person mentioned the possible problem with it, I changed the firewall to NAT ONLY but no change for the Telo.

The telo is still not working. The other oddity is that I can not login to My Ooma (https://my.ooma.com/home/login)
The message is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I have never had problems with this web site before either.

artiecon

Re: Can not connect to Ooma Network

Post by artiecon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Some additional info I didn't have when I spoke to the support person:

I just found that Oomas DNS doesn't seem to be working. All columns are filled with "Can't resolve!!!"

My laptop has no problems with resolving names:
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.1.254

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: vpn.ooma.com
Addresses: 208.83.244.218

I tried to use my NSP DNS server to resolve googles address in the Ooma DNS tool but the message was "Can't resolve the specified HostName !!!"

Also, the bandwidth test did not work with the message "Iperf Server not running on specified Server Name/Port"

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:41 pm

artiecon:
You could temporarily connect Modem-Ooma-computer to eliminate the router as the cause. If you decide to do so, remove power from the Modem, Ooma Telo, Router and computer.
Temporarily connect Modem-Ooma-Computer.
Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. When the Ooma Telo is done booting, repower the Computer.

If the Ooma Telo comes on line, then the problem will be with the router.

If the Ooma Telo still doesn't come on line:
I wonder if you were receiving the latest Firmware update? If so a reboot during the firmware update may have caused the problem?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14155

Maybe you can try this:

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the Stop button. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
8. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
9. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
10. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
11. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
12. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

artiecon

Post by artiecon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for the response.

My modem and router are a combination unit. From my original post:
"My network is provided by Telus with a combined DSL moem and route so the Ooma telo is connected behind the router to one of its ports. Nothing has been changed to my knowledge."

So I can not put the Ooma Telo outside the router.

artiecon

Post by artiecon » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:46 pm

So, to reitterate:

Ooma telo is hard wired to the network switch.

Ooma device can not resolve DNS. Other devices connected to the same swithc can resolve Domain names. If Ooma telo can not do DNS, then it can not connect to the Ooma VPN and no service will result. How do I get DNS workinng???

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:52 pm

artiecon wrote:Thanks for the response.

My modem and router are a combination unit. From my original post:
"My network is provided by Telus with a combined DSL moem and route so the Ooma telo is connected behind the router to one of its ports. Nothing has been changed to my knowledge."

So I can not put the Ooma Telo outside the router.
Ooma Network: Attempting to connect to Ooma network with a red X, is usually easily corrected by Ooma on their end?

To make sure your Ooma Teol is functioning properly, take your Ooma Telo to a relative or friend's home, temporarily connect it to their router and see if it functions there.

Is there any way that you can tell if the Modem/Router's Firmware has been just recently updated? Some Inernet provider's will block certain traffic with their own Modem/Router firmware.

artiecon

Post by artiecon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:50 am

Well, another day and lo and behold, haviing left it with the center logo flashing red, when I checked this morning, all lights were blue as they should be. DNS is working in the device.

JFM I guess...

TNX for the help Thunderbird