Porting - never received an estimated date of completion.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
parmenides
Porting - never received an estimated date of completion.

Post by parmenides » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:48 am

I completed a porting request on April 8, including a LOA.

I received an email which indicated :

Within 5 business days, ooma will send you an estimated date of completion for your order. Please note that this date is SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

I have not received an estimated date of completion, some three weeks later. My credit card has been charged for the port.

About 10 days ago I received email from Janis Wilson in customer service. The email was a BCC to me with the email address of someone else in the To: line. I wonder how his porting request is going... :). Regardless, the question was pertinent so I replied and instructed Janis to proceed with the port. I've also asked for an estimated date of completion, with no reply.

Can someone in customer service please follow-up and forward to me an estimated date of completion or otherwise indicate that the porting request is proceeding? Thank you.

sgs

Re: Porting - never received an estimated date of completion.

Post by sgs » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:25 am

Same here. I also did not receive the estimated completion email. But to my surprise, I received an email after two weeks of porting request indicating my port date is the next day. The number to be ported could not be called for several hours during that day, but the port was completed in evening. I received two emails - one indicating that my lounge login was changed (new number), and the port was completed without any issues. Looking at various posts on this forum, I was expecting 4-6 weeks for the port, but it was completed in two weeks. It does look like they are trying to improve the port process.

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:28 am

Thanks for that - but it has been 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything except for an email which may or may not have been intended for me. Would appreciate a follow-up from customer service.

buzzman

Post by buzzman » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:36 am

Welcome to the mysterious world of Ooma porting process. All I can say is be patient though not knowing where you are in the process can be agonizing.

I'm too in the same situation. My first OLA was rejected by Qwest (and nobody from Ooma informed me; I found this out by calling the customer service 10 days after the fact). The second one was submitted 11 days ago, and I haven't heard anything from anyone. As of last week, Qwest still claimed they haven't received the porting request.

I'm trying to be patient here - I really am. :-)

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:48 am

buzzman wrote:Welcome to the mysterious world of Ooma porting process. All I can say is be patient though not knowing where you are in the process can be agonizing.
OK - I get it, I get it. Be patient, right. Thanks for the help...?

I'm asking for a customer service response. It's been 3 weeks and I haven't heard from anyone with the exception of an email which may or may not have been intended for me.

No need for others to reply with "be patient" - I get that, thanks.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:10 pm

About once a week or so after the first two weeks, I called the Ooma port number (which is on the LOA form).

I found it was helpful to get the name of a person (they only give out first names) and try to work with that person.

Once a request is sent to a provider to port a number, Ooma doesn't have much control. They should inform us when they are sending the request, but sometimes this doesn't happen.

My port took a bit under 5 weeks. Ooma lost 2 weeks as they didn't realize I had already provided my bill (the reviewer didn't notice the bill in my initial fax and the LOA sat without any work done on it for 2 weeks). Had Ooma called to review the supposedly incomplete form, my port would probably have taken only 3 weeks to complete.

I got a port date, 3 days before the port. On the day of port, my number went inactive on my old provider in the morning, and about 5PM (eastern time) it was live again on my Ooma hub without any reboot required. It has been working 100% ever since.

dennis2000

Post by dennis2000 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:47 pm

I am new to Ooma today.

But I've had some experience porting a number to another Voip 2 years ago. It took about 3 months. We kept calling. The new company blamed the existing company. The existing company blamed the new company. Around and around we went.

The long and short of it was that I had a phone number that had been blocked so it couldn't be ported. I had to request the old company to remove the block to allow it to be ported. Once that was done, the port was quick. But it took a while to determine this was the cause.

The other thing that can cause problems is the address on your old phone bill must match the address given to the new company (Ooma) exactly. It it doesn't, they won't allow the port because they think someone is trying to steal the customer.

I believe there are other issues involved, but I don't know what they are. I asked Ooma before I bought their equipment if I could port my numbers.

They said; "I checked to see if the numbers you wanted to port were portable, but at this time they aren't portable. Please check back periodically to see if they become portable because we are constantly expanding our services."

I decided the price of keeping my existing numbers was not worth the cost and went ahead anyway. I will most likely never get local numbers for my Ooma, but then I won't be paying the high price of the "telco" either.

Long live Ooma!

FWIW,

Dennis2000

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am

In the past few days I have received some positive communication from CS including an FOC date for the port. Thank you.

azism

Post by azism » Fri May 01, 2009 5:06 pm

I know patience is a virtue, and Ooma needs time to complete a porting of a number. However, when does the wait for porting a number become excessive? I have been waiting since mid-March and still my number has not been ported. :(
Tucson, AZ
Customer Since: March 13, 2009
Ooma Hardware: Telo; Linx; Bluetooth Adapter
Service: Lifetime Premier since April 2009

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 pm

azism wrote:I know patience is a virtue, and Ooma needs time to complete a porting of a number. However, when does the wait for porting a number become excessive? I have been waiting since mid-March and still my number has not been ported. :(
I applied to port in mid-March and was ported last week.

You may want to call the customer service number on the LOA and see if they can help you.