taxes increased by 30% this month

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
squiggly
taxes increased by 30% this month

Post by squiggly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:13 pm

I know that Ooma can say that they have nothing to do with the taxes, but an increase of 30% in one month is huge, and undermines the reason I got the thing in the first place. Sure, going from $3.75 per month to $4.82 per month is still cheap, but Ooma SHOULD care!! If increases like this continue, I will have to consider getting rid of it and going back to my land line.
Ooma customer service was of no help at all. My complaints should be directed to the taxing authorities, I know that already. I expected to hear some advice or recommendations but got nothing from them.

Venting. Rant over.

murphy

Re: taxes increased by 30% this month

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:53 pm

You are going to pay a lot more than that on a land line.
The taxes on my land line are $9.07 per month.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

GMOOMA

Post by GMOOMA » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 am

I hope OOMA doesn't play games with the taxes.. this could end up costing them customers either dropping premier and/or leaving ooma altogether.. for some, the taxes went down a few cents last month. Verizon played games with the taxes & fees on my bill and it was mostly net rate hikes in disguise... that's why they are in the dog house w/o a customer. IMO, these newly enforced taxes/fees should be stable for at least 2 years from when they introduced them. Let telco be the first to overcharge and then the rates can adjust afterward proportionately to much less than telco. Ooma still must be concered about consumers who particularly have premier jumping to other "device" competitors. Ooma should also give notification if a fee change is more than a few cents either way.. then consumers can decide what to do.. this is a standard business courtesy.

TPower

Post by TPower » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Ooma probably has no control over taxes, they are charged by the individual cities and states and just pass them along to the subscriber. And they are definitely less than what i pay for my land line

GMOOMA

Post by GMOOMA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Glad I don't live in some of these crazy cities & states with their jacking up petty taxes such as these.. we have enough taxes here in NY for the little guy..

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Mine went down a penny. $6.06

jhphone

Post by jhphone » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:15 pm

murphy wrote:You are going to pay a lot more than that on a land line.
I have the premium plan with the second number THAT I HAVE NEVER USED. So it's like forcing us to pay for premium gas for a car that only needs regular. Except in this case we are paying DOUBLE the tax.

It would be very nice to made this second number optional. Will Ooma do it?

Probably never.

germ

Post by germ » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:47 am

Same here (north California). Taxes went from $3.50 to $5.
It's clear to me ooma is taking advantage of us. Ooma was once a god deal. It isn't anymore. :(

dioxide45

Post by dioxide45 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:24 am

jhphone wrote:
murphy wrote:You are going to pay a lot more than that on a land line.
I have the premium plan with the second number THAT I HAVE NEVER USED. So it's like forcing us to pay for premium gas for a car that only needs regular. Except in this case we are paying DOUBLE the tax.

It would be very nice to made this second number optional. Will Ooma do it?

Probably never.
With Premier do you have to select a second number? It was my understanding that you didn't. You could add one for free with Premier but it wasn't required?

dioxide45

Post by dioxide45 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:26 am

germ wrote:Same here (north California). Taxes went from $3.50 to $5.
It's clear to me ooma is taking advantage of us. Ooma was once a god deal. It isn't anymore. :(
$5 vs $50, still seems like a good deal. You are getting home phone service for the cost of the taxes, that is great. You just need to amortize your equipment and upfront costs over time to determine when you break even, after that, you're saving over the cost of a regular landline every day.