Primary & Secondary Number Reversing

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
tbeltz
Primary & Secondary Number Reversing

Post by tbeltz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:07 am

I have the Ooma Premier but am not using any of the Ooma phones. I have a primarn number in the 269 area and the second number is in the 941 area. I will be taking my unit to the 941 area shortly at which time I would like for the 941 number to be switched to my Primary. I will keep both numbers active through the Premier but just need them switched or reversed as which one is Primary. Is this something I can do or will this need to be done by tech support?

thunderbird

Re: Primary & Secondary Number Reversing

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:36 am

tbeltz wrote:I have the Ooma Premier but am not using any of the Ooma phones. I have a primarn number in the 269 area and the second number is in the 941 area. I will be taking my unit to the 941 area shortly at which time I would like for the 941 number to be switched to my Primary. I will keep both numbers active through the Premier but just need them switched or reversed as which one is Primary. Is this something I can do or will this need to be done by tech support?
You can go into My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/privacy and change "Default number for outgoing calls" by clicking on the down arrow and then Saving. Read the text to the right of this setting.

Note that calling outbound with either Ooma number is not long distance within the USA.

Another important thing is to tell your Ooma inbound callers which number that you want them to call for inbound calls.

tbeltz

Post by tbeltz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:50 am

thunderbird wrote:
tbeltz wrote:I have the Ooma Premier but am not using any of the Ooma phones. I have a primarn number in the 269 area and the second number is in the 941 area. I will be taking my unit to the 941 area shortly at which time I would like for the 941 number to be switched to my Primary. I will keep both numbers active through the Premier but just need them switched or reversed as which one is Primary. Is this something I can do or will this need to be done by tech support?
You can go into My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/privacy and change "Default number for outgoing calls" by clicking on the down arrow and then Saving. Read the text to the right of this setting.

Note that calling outbound with either Ooma number is not long distance within the USA.

Another important thing is to tell your Ooma inbound callers which number that you want them to call for inbound calls.
thunderbird: I saw that but felt that change would only change the number to be displayed for id of outbound calls not the primary number to be used?? I am trying to avoid having to dial 1+ when I get into the other area code. Maybe I am not explaining myself right?? Thanks for you interest and reply.

murphy

Post by murphy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:32 am

You never have to dial 1 for a call within the US if you enable 10 digit dialing in your account.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tbeltz

Post by tbeltz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 am

murphy wrote:You never have to dial 1 for a call within the US if you enable 10 digit dialing in your account.
Both areas I am referring to still have 7 digit dialing (small areas). Right now when I goo off hook I receive the Dial tone from my 269 area number which enables me to call local numbers by dialing the 7 digits but when I call into the 941 area I must dial 10. When I move the unit into the 941 area I want to reverse the number selection so that when I go off hook it will then select the 941 number as my first choice thus allowing me to dial the 7 digit locals numbers in the 941 area. Changing the selection in privacy will not do it as I have tried, that only changes the Caller ID information sent out and doesn't always do that? I checked with tech support and they say reversing the primary and secondary is something they must do on their end and is not a big issue. Hopefull all will go well, was just trying to see if anyone else had gone through this process.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:31 am

Need to call customer service when ready.

Asyd_Rayn

Post by Asyd_Rayn » Sat May 28, 2022 1:12 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact problem with my new service. I set up Ooma service 2 weeks ago and ported the landline number that I've had for more than 20 years to Ooma (the port took 3 or 4 days so was very happy it didn't take 3-4 weeks as claimed) but because I was porting I chose an Ooma number that is now my secondary number since it's been ported in.

I have gone to the privacy section and chosen that my 20yo landline number should be the default number for all outgoing calls, but no matter what I do it continues to dial out from any handset in the house using the second number (the number I chose when I set up the Ooma account). Numerous calls to support have proved fruitless and frustrating but this system will not respect the default number I've chosen under privacy for outgoing calls.

My secondary number (Ooma chosen number) is tied to my work cell number via the Google Voice Extension and that works fine, but I can't just pick up the phone in the house and rely upon it to use my ported number for ALL outgoing calls unless I press **1 before placing the call which means I want to place the call from my 2nd number that shows the call as my work number caller ID. What am I missing? It's driving me nuts and phone and chat support keep rebooting my Telo Air 2 box with no change. What's even worse is my hardwire alarm system is dialing out to check in with the alarm monitoring company and they are calling me saying my system is not checking in because it's using the secondary number.

Robek

Post by Robek » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:45 pm

Confirm that the ported number is the primary number, and that the Ooma number is secondary. Login to My Ooma using the primary number. In the Phone Number Preferences, confirm that the primary number has the "**0" shortcut, and that the secondary number has "**1". In the Devices Preferences, confirm that all phone numbers and devices of interest are assigned to the main account, and not to any private accounts.

Turn off any HD2/HD3 handsets, either by removing the batteries, or by holding down the hangup key for several seconds. Wait a few minutes before turning the handsets back on.

If using the Ooma mobile app for outgoing calls, which number does it use for Caller ID?
Asyd_Rayn wrote:My secondary number (Ooma chosen number) is tied to my work cell number via the Google Voice Extension
Does that mean that the two numbers are tied to Google Voice, or that they are tied to each other in some other way? Is Google Voice forwarding calls to both the secondary number and the work cell number, or is it doing something else?

Double-check the other settings for Google Voice Extensions. Is the box for "Use my Google Voice Number as my Outbound Caller-ID" checked or unchecked? How does changing that affect outgoing calls? Wait for 3-5 minutes for any changes to take effect before testing them.
Asyd_Rayn wrote:I can't just pick up the phone in the house and rely upon it to use my ported number for ALL outgoing calls unless I press **1 before placing the call which means I want to place the call from my 2nd number that shows the call as my work number caller ID
Please clarify this. Which number do outgoing calls use for Caller ID with the "**1" shortcut? Is it the ported number, the Ooma number, the Google Voice number, or the work cell number? And which number do outgoing calls use with the "**0" shortcut?

Can the alarm system use the "**0" shortcut when dialing out? Does that help?

Asyd_Rayn

Post by Asyd_Rayn » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:50 pm

Robek wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:45 pm
If using the Ooma mobile app for outgoing calls, which number does it use for Caller ID?
It shows my ported number that is now used to log in to my account that replaced the number I chose when setting up Ooma.
Robek wrote:
Does that mean that the two numbers are tied to Google Voice, or that they are tied to each other in some other way? Is Google Voice forwarding calls to both the secondary number and the work cell number, or is it doing something else?
No, it does not mean that. The only number tied to GV is my secondary number (the number I chose when I set up Ooma). GV/Ooma are forwarding my work cell number to my secondary number (**1) and when the phone rings I can tell because I set up two short rings for the secondary/work cell number being forwarded by GV extension. GV is work working as it's supposed to, there is no issue there.
Robek wrote:
Please clarify this. Which number do outgoing calls use for Caller ID with the "**1" shortcut? Is it the ported number, the Ooma number, the Google Voice number, or the work cell number? And which number do outgoing calls use with the "**0" shortcut?
When I pick up the phone and dial, the number that shows on the receiving party's caller ID shows my GV number exactly how I've set it up, I do not have to press **1 because it's defaulting to that number when anyone picks up the phone to place a call from my home and it shouldn't be dialing out with that number.

If I press **0 my primary number shows up on the receiving caller's ID, as it should, but I should NOT have to dial **0 for it to do dial with my primary number. No the alarm system cannot be programmed to dial any other numbers before dialing the security system check-in number a system security feature. The alarm system expects my ported number to make those calls as it has for the past 25 years.

As for other settings, I have distinctly chosen under "Privacy" that my primary number is the number to be used for ALL outgoing calls, and in that drop-down, I have chosen my ported telephone number. The setting is showing correctly on my dashboard for this setting. However under "preferences phone number" my Ooma number is highlighted always in blue. As a newbie, I'm assuming this means that the Ooma system sees it as my PRIMARY number and that shouldn't be -- the blue highlight also shows up under "Devices," there again, my Ooma number is highlighted in blue:
My_Ooma_-_Preferences_-_Phone_Numbers-2.jpg
My_Ooma_-_Preferences_-_Phone_Numbers-2.jpg (54.85KiB)Viewed 4962 times
If I click the cog in the image above my Ooma number is **1 my Ported number is **0.

These are my Privacy preferences and my ported number is in that box:
Cursor_and_My_Ooma_-_Preferences_-_Privacy.jpg
Cursor_and_My_Ooma_-_Preferences_-_Privacy.jpg (67.26KiB)Viewed 4962 times
Hope this all makes sense.

Asyd_Rayn

Post by Asyd_Rayn » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:43 am

Asyd_Rayn wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:50 pm
Turn off any HD2/HD3 handsets, either by removing the batteries, or by holding down the hangup key for several seconds. Wait a few minutes before turning the handsets back on.

Taking the batteries out/holding down the hangup had no effect -- same thing happens. So thanks for that suggestion. If I dial, using the Ooma app, calls are placed with my default/ported number, so the cell phone Ooma app is dialing out correctly and using my ported number that shows in the receiver's caller ID correctly.

Now, one thing I didn't mention is: I did set up my Telo 2 Wireless when I got it before my phone number was ported over and of course set it up using what should now be my secondary number (Ooma selected number). Maybe that's the issue, if so, I have no idea how to wipe the Telo, as if it were new out of the box, and activate it using the ported number since that is now in Ooma's system. Another thing too, initially when I called support to ask how to port the number, they kept calling me by someone else's name when I gave them my Ooma chosen number before porting even happened -- odd since why is a number available if it is still listed under someone's else's name.

Whatever is going on, the Telo is not respecting choices or settings I'm making on "My Ooma" dashboard -- so not sure if that's device/hardware related or some backend software switch that Ooma needs/must fix. As I've said, support is troubleshooting with me as if I'm just setting things up wrong -- I'm not and I'm extremely proficient with all sorts of tech, including VOIP. I had Vonage for years before switching to Ooma -- so I know when an issue is user error.

This is not user error and with all this grief and basic-style phone support from Ooma I'm feeling like I have made a huge mistake in my effort to have a more reasonably priced phone service that I sorely need with elderly parents (who, by the way, will not answer a call with my secondary number, no matter how many times I tell them it's me) and if there is an emergency remembering to have to dial **0 before a call or use my cell phone instead. Then also the added inconvenience and perhaps the cost of having my alarm company reprogram the built-in control panel in the basement for the security system is unreasonable and totally unnecessary.