HD2 Handset "Software Upgrade Required"

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
wpc09
HD2 Handset "Software Upgrade Required"

Post by wpc09 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:58 am

I have obtained one HD2 handset to try out. I placed it in its crade to charge for 12 hours. I upgraded the software on the Ooma Telo device to handle the HD2. When I connected the handset to the Ooma Telo, it recognized everything fine. But then all I had for hours on the handset was the message: "Software Upgrade Required. Please put handset on its charging cradle." I have been waiting for a long time for something to happen, but it sits in this mode without any change.

What needs to be done?

thunderbird

Re: HD2 Handset "Software Upgrade Required"

Post by thunderbird » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:41 am

wpc09 wrote:I have obtained one HD2 handset to try out. I placed it in its crade to charge for 12 hours. I upgraded the software on the Ooma Telo device to handle the HD2. When I connected the handset to the Ooma Telo, it recognized everything fine. But then all I had for hours on the handset was the message: "Software Upgrade Required. Please put handset on its charging cradle." I have been waiting for a long time for something to happen, but it sits in this mode without any change.

What needs to be done?
Make sure that when you place the new HD2 handset into the charging cradle that you hear a double Beep, Beep sound. This indicates that the HD2 handset is making proper electrical contact with the charging cradle.
If not, make sure the cord coming into the back of the charging cradle is inserted far enough into the receptacle located on the back of the charging cradle. I have one charging cradle that has a slightly loose cord to cradle fit, so when I don’t hear the double Beep, Beep, I know this is the problem.
If this is the case for you, let the forum know, but also contact Ooma Customer support and have them send you another charging cradle/cord assembly.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

wpc09

Post by wpc09 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:38 am

No double beep. I have checked all connections and current. I think I will have to have them send me another crade and charging cord.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:13 am

wpc09 wrote:No double beep. I have checked all connections and current. I think I will have to have them send me another crade and charging cord.
Ooma may also just send you another complete HD2 handset assembly, with a return prepaid shipping label to send the defective unit back???

And you made sure that the charging cord is pushed fully into the receptacle on the back of the HD2 charging cradle?

One last thing you could try is to push the HD2 (Red Phone) Off button until the screen goes blank. This reboots the HD2 handset. Then try placing the HD2 handset in the changing cradle.

Let the forum know if this works.

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Just got my HD2 as well. No beeps or indication it is charging. Battery light is red about 1/3rd charged. :(

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:11 pm

scoobydooxp wrote:Just got my HD2 as well. No beeps or indication it is charging. Battery light is red about 1/3rd charged. :(
Without fully charging the batteries, if they won't charge:
Try registering the HD2 handset to the Ooma Telo.

Follow the instructions that came with the HD2 handset.

See if the HD2 handset downloads firmware and reboots. If so just leave the HD2 handset on the charging cradle over night and see what happens.

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:25 pm

thunderbird wrote: Without fully charging the batteries, if they won't charge:
Try registering the HD2 handset to the Ooma Telo.

Follow the instructions that came with the HD2 handset.

See if the HD2 handset downloads firmware and reboots. If so just leave the HD2 handset on the charging cradle over night and see what happens.
I have it registered. It is just sitting at the "Software Upgrade Required" screen with the battery draining. Very disappointed in the quality control.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Pull the batteries out for a few seconds, put them back in (correctly). Hopefully that will reset the phone.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:45 pm

WayneDsr wrote:Pull the batteries out for a few seconds, put them back in (correctly). Hopefully that will reset the phone.

Wayne
I left the batteries out for about an hour and no difference. I wonder if there is a way to tell if the usb connector is the issue or if it is the phone/cradle connector.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:59 pm

scoobydooxp wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:Pull the batteries out for a few seconds, put them back in (correctly). Hopefully that will reset the phone.

Wayne
I left the batteries out for about an hour and no difference. I wonder if there is a way to tell if the usb connector is the issue or if it is the phone/cradle connector.
If you have a volt meter you might be able to check the pins in the charger and see what they read.

Batteries could be bad as well, if you have chargeable batteries around that match the original you could try that as well.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member