HD2 Handset "Software Upgrade Required"

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
thunderbird
Re: HD2 Handset "Software Upgrade Required"

Post by thunderbird » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:01 pm

scoobydooxp wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:Pull the batteries out for a few seconds, put them back in (correctly). Hopefully that will reset the phone.

Wayne
I left the batteries out for about an hour and no difference. I wonder if there is a way to tell if the usb connector is the issue or if it is the phone/cradle connector.
If you have and are handy with a DC Volt meter,
with the charging cradle powered and the HD2 handset removed and set aside,
with the volt meter set to a DC volt setting of more then 5 V DC:

Put the red lead on the left side bare metal pin at the inside bottom of the charging cradle where the HD2 handset is normally placed.

Put the Black lead on the Right side bare metal pin at the inside bottom of the charging cradle where the HD2 handset is normally placed.

The reading should be around 5 V DC. This test will check and indicate that the charging cradle is powered, or not powered. (If there is power at this location, the DC voltmeter reading may be slightly higher then 5 V DC because there is no load).

If you do this procedure, report back your findings.

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:25 pm

thunderbird wrote: If you have and are handy with a DC Volt meter,

Put the red lead on the left side bare metal pin at the inside bottom of the charging cradle where the HD2 handset is normally placed.

Put the Black lead on the Right side bare metal pin at the inside bottom of the charging cradle where the HD2 handset is normally placed.

The reading should be around 5 V DC. This test will check and indicate that the charging cradle is powered, or not powered. (If there is power at this location, the DC voltmeter reading may be slightly higher then 5 V DC because there is no load).

4.98 V DC at the charger base so the cord/base seem fine unless the pins are bent.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:56 pm

scoobydooxp wrote:
thunderbird wrote: If you have and are handy with a DC Volt meter,

4.98 V DC at the charger base so the cord/base seem fine unless the pins are bent.
I would have liked to see the DC voltage slightly higher because there was no voltage load on the charging cable pins. I'm guessing that the DC voltage has to be just slightly higher to turn on the charging circuits, etc. in the HD2 handset.
But if you have a battery charger that will fully charge these batteries, or maybe if you can get some other replacement NiNH 1.2 V 1800mAh Batteries that are fully charged, try them?

I think once the charging part starts working, and the latest firmware is installed, this will never happen again.

Seems like I had this very problem on one of the first HD2 handset that I received, and I just left the HD2 handset setting in the charge cradle, and sometime in the night it started to charge by itself, and then from there on it was okay.

But if you don't want to mess around, you can contact Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:28 pm

thunderbird wrote:I would have liked to see the DC voltage slightly higher because there was no voltage load on the charging cable pins. I'm guessing that the DC voltage has to be just slightly higher to turn on the charging circuits, etc. in the HD2 handset.
But if you have a battery charger that will fully charge these batteries, or maybe if you can get some other replacement NiNH 1.2 V 1800mAh Batteries that are fully charged, try them?

I think once the charging part starts working, and the latest firmware is installed, this will never happen again.

Seems like I had this very problem on one of the first HD2 handset that I received, and I just left the HD2 handset setting in the charge cradle, and sometime in the night it started to charge by itself, and then from there on it was okay.

But if you don't want to mess around, you can contact Ooma Customer Support:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Thanks for the help. I do have a charger so I have thrown them on there. Maybe if they are fully charged it will grab the software.

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:19 am

I let the batteries fully charge to 1800mAh and installed them last night. No difference, as it still wants to be placed on the charger before it will do the software update. I left it on the charger all night and the batteries are near dead due to the LCD staying on. Time to call ooma support it looks like.

One would think they would have a key sequence to force the software update.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 am

scoobydooxp:
I went around and measured the DC voltage output for each of the HD2 charging cradles that I have.

Each measured an unloaded DC voltage of about 6.25 DC volts. This would be about right because the Voltage output specified on the changing cord plug is +5 Volts.

Are you routing the power to the HD2 handset charging cradle through an Uninterruptible Power Supply device? If so try connecting/plugging the HD2 charging cradle to a normal house wall power outlet and test.

Some more things to try:
Dial *#*#199 with a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port, to unregister all HD2 handsets.

With the HD2 handset out of the charging cradle, press the Menu button on the HD2 handset. Scroll down to and select Unregister handset. When the screen shows "Are you sure you want to unregister......." window, press the Left soft key.

Did you hear a Beep, Beep just after you pressed the Left soft key?

If you did hear the Beep, Beep, put the HD2 handset back into the charging cradle and see if you still hear the Beep, Beep.

If you do hear the double Beep, then re-register the HD2 handset to the Ooma Telo by pressing and holding the Tower Icon on the upper right hand corner of the face of the Ooma Telo, for more then three seconds or until you hear the registration message from the Ooma Telo. Accept the registration on the HD2 handset after the registration message appears on the HD2 handset, and then see if the firmware download starts, with the HD2 handset placed in the charging cradle.

I the HD2 handset firmware download don’t start; contact Ooma Customer Service for another HD2 handset.

scoobydooxp

Post by scoobydooxp » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Still nothing after 24+ hours in the cradle plugged directly into a non-switched outlet. I called Ooma support and they will be sending me a new HD2 package in 3-5 days.

Hopefully the next one works. I wanted to order one to check it out before replacing all my phones.

icedcorn

Post by icedcorn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Are you upgrading from a Telo? If so, you have to enter *#*#302 and upgrade.

CaptainKen

Post by CaptainKen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:07 pm

I just had the exact issue, the handset would not charge. Took me a few seconds to figure out the problem and I will bet you are having the exact same problem that I am. If you look at the cradle very close you will see two metal pins that come in contact with the handset to charge it. There is an internal spring that you can't see that is defective that is causing the pin on the right side to fall to the bottom and not come in contact with the handset. I called Ooma support and they are going to send me a new cradle. If you have a needle you can lift the pin up to the top so it will charge but with the defective spring it will fall back to the bottom before long and again stop working.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

CaptainKen wrote:I just had the exact issue, the handset would not charge. Took me a few seconds to figure out the problem and I will bet you are having the exact same problem that I am. If you look at the cradle very close you will see two metal pins that come in contact with the handset to charge it. There is an internal spring that you can't see that is defective that is causing the pin on the right side to fall to the bottom and not come in contact with the handset. I called Ooma support and they are going to send me a new cradle. If you have a needle you can lift the pin up to the top so it will charge but with the defective spring it will fall back to the bottom before long and again stop working.
Great find !

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member