Someone stole my number!!!

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
tjnamtiw
Someone stole my number!!!

Post by tjnamtiw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 am

I am getting frequent calls from people I don't know asking me why I called them!!!! I made no such calls but I keep getting these 'callbacks'. I spoke with an Ooma rep a couple of weeks ago and she suggested that I reboot my modem/router and Ooma box so that a new IP address is assigned to my phone. I did that and I had no calls until last night. It has begun again!

Am I the only one who apparently has had his number hijacked by some sleezebag? What can I do that will ACTUALLY guard against this happening? Or is something else happening? I have the old style box, not the Telo but it's worked perfectly for years now and continues to give me good service.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tom

rasa7777

Re: Someone stole my number!!!

Post by rasa7777 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 am

Tom,

Anyone can spoof their Caller ID. Unfortunately, it's relatively easy to do, and is how swatting is so successful, and the whole "News of the World" fiasco.

I hate to say it, but you may want to change your number if it persists.
Telo * 2 Telo HD2 handsets * Linx * Bluetooth Adapter * Verizon FiOS 75M/35M

tjnamtiw

Post by tjnamtiw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:19 am

hmmmm. I was told by the Ooma rep that spoofing is not possible with their internet based system. Sure don't want to change my number for obvious reasons. I'd rather hunt down the SOB that stole my number and gut him. :x

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:37 pm

"Stole" may not be accurate here. If someone stole your number, when called, they would receive your calls.

In this case, someone is just calling others using your callerid as their outgoing callerid; this is the part that is easy to do and they are likely not Ooma customers.

Ooma can't do anything about this. No one can. I wish it would be easy to find these guys (so you can gut them).

eskimodeb

Post by eskimodeb » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 pm

I have had the same new phone number for 5 years...no changes with ooma service.

Two days ago, I received a call before 7 AM on my phone...that I did not know. The lady left a message and called me by name (as if knowing my caller ID); she said she was calling me back about a possible gift order.

I later googled the number...a gift company in NJ....which I did not know. I DID NOT call this firm. After looking up ooma info on not giving my caller ID, I left anonymous message to not call me again, I did NOT call that number and I had notified credit reporting companies of possible identity theft.

Late this afternoon, that NJ company called me back....confrontational and wanting to explain that my caller ID showed up...so she called me back; she claimed that she was not trying to scam me. She hinted that I accidentally called...or someone else at the time in my household....which was not true...since I was the only one home at the time....and I was asleep.....with my phone over 5 ft away from my bed!

IMHO, there is some type of breach then with ooma connection...or some other sophisticated scam that is going on that is hijacking my caller id. Luckily, I alerted my credit reporting bureaus. For over 1.5 yrs, I have a voice message saying I do not accept messages or telemarketing from out of state businesses; I also state that I am on my state and federal do not call lists.

Ooma......are you checking these issues out?

I was hoping to upgrade my system...but I will wait until I can confirm that the problem is NOT ooma.

eskimodeb

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Telemarketers always say you contacted them first or you submitted some kind of info to them first....just ignore is the best thing you can do.