Account Notification

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
lbmofo
Re: Account Notification

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 pm

caseybea wrote:I basically see this whole (poor!) notification thing as the first of many attempts by Ooma to get rid of the hubs. This is the handwriting on the wall. And despite what Ooma *promised* its early customers (including me), they clearly don't care about that any more and I truly believe they will force the issue somehow down the road.
I have a different take. Although this email and maybe more to come would "encourage" migration but Ooma, I believe, will not force the issue. So far, they've kept all their promises so why start thinking they won't anymore?

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:30 pm

caseybea wrote: Did you ever notice how many technical PROBLEMS Telo customers have? You very rarely see ANY hub/core customers with technical issues.
Agreed. The Hubs are rock solid.

There are a few posts here with people considering this upgrade offer to the Telo because they are worried their Hub might die and they should jump on this as more of a preventative measure sort of thing. I believe the contrary... your Hub just might outlive the new Telo you would receive as part of this upgrade.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 pm

joeed2 wrote:because they are worried their Hub might die
I don't think my Hub will ever die... :P
/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8227#p71291
/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8227&start=20#p94667

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Has anyone ever opened up a Hub?

I'm wondering if there are capacitors inside? Because I would think that the heat build up would eventually burn out (or dry out) the capacitors after about 15 years, in which case they could be de-soldered and new capacitors soldered in place.

Other than that, I don't know that anything else would ever go bad inside, even with the heat.

Oomagumma

Post by Oomagumma » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:44 pm

I saw a photo online once of the board from inside a hub. IIRC, it consisted mainly of surface mounted components.

hpdad

Post by hpdad » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm

If ooma upgrades free Telo, I might consider this offer. Otherwise, why pay for the unit and tax when the hub perfectly working and pay nothing now.

davidm

Post by davidm » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:30 pm

One thing which worries me is that Ooma is the only provider of the devices compatible with the service. In theory if Ooma were dishonest they could send out bad updates to 5-10% of grandfathered users every month in order to "accidentally" brick the Ooma device. It would be a scumbag move and I doubt Ooma would do it but it's something to keep in mind.

I'm a Telo user so I'm not like you guys but I still really worry about this. I have to pay the $3.50- - $4.50 a month and I don't think that's so bad but I've also been worried about the potential for increases where they might say "Okay now it's $10 or $20 a month now. Take it or use your Telo as a door stop!".

Maybe it would be better if Ooma would compromise with the old hub users and offer you service for $2 a month or at 1/2 the taxes for a year or two? Though I understand the position that people should not have to pay at all. Even I had to pay $250 for my Telo. If I had known it would eventually cost $4 or $5 a month or more I might not have made that initial purchase (it was initially around $12 a year for taxes then it was raised to around $4 a month or $48 a year -- over a 300% increase). Going from $0 a month to $15 a month for the same features would be troublesome.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:04 pm

davidm wrote:One thing which worries me is that Ooma is the only provider of the devices compatible with the service. In theory if Ooma were dishonest they could send out bad updates to 5-10% of grandfathered users every month in order to "accidentally" brick the Ooma device. It would be a scumbag move and I doubt Ooma would do it but it's something to keep in mind.
I always worry about this kind of thing. I have a friend that tells me our electric utility is capable of raising our voltage occasionally from 120 volts to 135 volts to make our light bulbs and appliances burn out sooner. He believes that they receive incentives from the manufacturers of light bulbs and televisions to do so. I have noticed that sometimes our lights look brighter than other times.

Another friend tells me that most computer viruses are written by the folks from which we buy anti-virus software. They know that if they unleash a really bad virus on us that we will be encouraged to purchase upgrades to a more robust product. I think Dell and HP have contracts with them too so if we just give up on trying to fix a machine they sell us a new one at a great profit.

Also banks and brokerage firms have been known to nick customers for a few pennies here and there. With millions of customers, that amounts to real money. Of course, we never notice because it is just a few pennies. My mattress never returns less than I have invested in it. Can we say that about Bernie Madoff?

I used to drive a Honda Civic Hybrid. I got pretty good mileage. Then they started having battery failures so they came out with updated software for the car's computer. It was supposed to take care of the battery failure problem. It did - by making the car use the battery less which lowered the fuel economy by 10%. They got sued and lost.

I think that the only solution is to go off the grid, grow our own food, and stock up on lots of medium sized rocks. The rocks are for us to use for barter but also to use against people who mean us harm. As best I know, there will not be a ban on high capacity rock collections or delivery systems and the chance of an assault rock ban are not likely to pass congress.

OK, I think I'll take a handful of my antidepressants and anti-psychotics and call it a night. Peace out. :shock:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 am

SouthSound, perhaps some time in your Safe Room would be good for you. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9547&start=30#p66809

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:12 pm

lbmofo wrote:SouthSound, perhaps some time in your Safe Room would be good for you. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9547&start=30#p66809
Thanks! All better now. :cool:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.