HD2's say "No Internet" but Telo is fine

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
icedcorn
HD2's say "No Internet" but Telo is fine

Post by icedcorn » Sun May 12, 2013 3:55 am

I have an Ooma Telo and 4 HD2 phone units. I am using the Ooma Telo with the wireless adapter.

Recently I've been running into this issue:
The Ooma Telo indicates there is internet, and the system is blue and fine, but the HD2's all say "No internet" and I can't receive or make calls.

I do have internet (as you can tell by this forum post)..the only workaround for me has been to reboot the telo. A reboot is easy, but I keep having to do this.

I don't know what's up. Constant rebooting is annoying. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

lbmofo

Re: HD2's say "No Internet" but Telo is fine

Post by lbmofo » Sun May 12, 2013 10:33 am

When HD2 says no Internet but Telo is all blue, try pressing the play button and see if Ooma lady talks. Or connect a phone to the phone port to see if you can dial out.
If not, something is not right with wifi connection between router and ooma.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun May 12, 2013 11:29 am

icedcorn wrote:I have an Ooma Telo and 4 HD2 phone units. I am using the Ooma Telo with the wireless adapter.

Recently I've been running into this issue:
The Ooma Telo indicates there is internet, and the system is blue and fine, but the HD2's all say "No internet" and I can't receive or make calls.

I do have internet (as you can tell by this forum post)..the only workaround for me has been to reboot the telo. A reboot is easy, but I keep having to do this.

I don't know what's up. Constant rebooting is annoying. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
The problem that you described is a common problem where the DECT radio quits, and has happened to us many times. Each time the Ooma Telo has to be rebooted to re-establish communication between the Ooma Telo DECT radio and the HD2 handsets.

icedcorn

Post by icedcorn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Funny story - I had this problem again, so I did a google search and was like, oh great, someone posted it on Ooma...and then I realized -- I POSTED THE QUESTION.

I am getting old.

So bottom line: Nothing I can do except reboot all the time? If I didn't use the wireless adapter, would I have better luck, or would it matter?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:37 pm

Have you tried wiping the HD2 from the Telo setup page and re-pairing?

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 pm

I have a Linx- also a DECT device. I've never had a problem with it, since both radios must've been working for the 2+ months I've had it. From this I deduce that it must be the HD2- it cannot be a bug in the Telo radio (RADIO)- but here are undoubtedly Telo firmware aspects to the functioning of the HD2 also. Is there a way to upgrade the firmware in the HD2? (I don't have any HD2 handsets.)

Based on previous experience with Ooma hardware, though- I also [guess] that if this is not a widely reported problem (there seem to be lots of HD2s deployed), it must be hardware, and it's time to ask for replacement(s).

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:04 am

Telo_BK wrote:I have a Linx- also a DECT device. I've never had a problem with it, since both radios must've been working for the 2+ months I've had it. From this I deduce that it must be the HD2- it cannot be a bug in the Telo radio (RADIO)- but here are undoubtedly Telo firmware aspects to the functioning of the HD2 also. Is there a way to upgrade the firmware in the HD2? (I don't have any HD2 handsets.)

Based on previous experience with Ooma hardware, though- I also [guess] that if this is not a widely reported problem (there seem to be lots of HD2s deployed), it must be hardware, and it's time to ask for replacement(s).
The problem with the Ooma Telo DECT Radio disconnects mostly happen when there are three or more DECT Radio devices registered to the Ooma Telo.

A reboot of the HD2 handset affected, accomplished by pushing and holding the Red Phone button until the screen goes blank or when using Linx devices unpower and repower the affected Linx device, and/or un-powering and repowering the Ooma Telo will in most cases restore the DECT Radio connection to the HD handsets or Linx devices.

There are two generations of Ooma Telos.

The Standard Ooma Telo, and the Advanced DECT Ooma Telo which came out at about the same time the HD2 handsets came out.

The Advanced DECT Ooma Telo has a stronger DECT Radio signal.

I’m guessing that the Advanced DECT Ooma Telo has fewer problems with the DECT Radio disconnecting, but haven’t tested to make sure.

icedcorn

Post by icedcorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 am

Nice catch, as I have 4 ooma HD2 devices connected. I had my Telo from before the HD2's came out so I must have the old one.

No chance of this being a warranty item, is there? :)

jctcom

Post by jctcom » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Personally I would pose the question to Ooma.

You were sold HD2 devices that are not totally compatible with your Telo device. Since the HD2's are probably still under warranty I would offer them the following scenario. either refund the HD2's, Replace them with ones that work with your Telo or replace your Telo device.

Probably the least expensive of these options (and probably the only option that will work) for Ooma is to replace your Telo device.

Carl.