Phone does not ring

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
August S
Phone does not ring

Post by August S » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:00 pm

We bought and set up our ooma last week. It was working fine for most of the week. It now will only make out going calls. It does not ring when we recieve calls.
The ooma tab is blue and none of the buttons are lit.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Phone does not ring

Post by Bobby B » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:13 am

Hello August,

Are you currently using your ooma system with a landline?

If you're using the ooma system with landline, there's a couple things you can check. First, can you verify that you're landline is still receiving phone calls OK. This can be done by unplugging the ooma Hub's WALL port from your wall and connecting your phone directly to the wall. Next, try testing a phone call to your phone number -- you should hear the phone ring OK.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

August S

Post by August S » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:29 am

I tried this and the phone did ring. I left the ooma "disconnected" for a while, so we could recieve calls, and the lights never indicated an error. I later disconnected the ethernet from the ooma. Again it didn't indicate a problem. I left it like this for a while and eventually the ooma tab began blinking red. I then reconnected everything and the ooma began working.

Would it make a difference if the PC connected to the ooma goes to sleep for days at a time?

trim81

Post by trim81 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:49 pm

August S wrote:I tried this and the phone did ring. I left the ooma "disconnected" for a while, so we could recieve calls, and the lights never indicated an error. I later disconnected the ethernet from the ooma. Again it didn't indicate a problem. I left it like this for a while and eventually the ooma tab began blinking red. I then reconnected everything and the ooma began working.

Would it make a difference if the PC connected to the ooma goes to sleep for days at a time?

it depends on your internet setup/ router.

do you have an Ooma before or after the router? (plugged directly behind a dsl/cable modem?)

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi August, interesting...it shouldn't matter if the PC behind the ooma Hub (e.g. connected to the HOME port) goes to sleep frequently or for long periods of time.

The next time the Hub gets in this state, try giving the support team a call. We'll want to run some test calls and check out what's happening in the logs.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

August S

Post by August S » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:36 am

Bobby, Ok if it happens again I will call support.

Trim 81, My modem is in my router. I tried cycling power to the router/modem the PC and the ooma, but that didn't fix the problem. I don't know if disconnecting the ethernet from the ooma until it errored out (faulted) fixed the problem, but the problem went away after this.

Thanks
August