What happens with phone service after number is ported?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
scottlindner
Re: What happens with phone service after number is ported?

Post by scottlindner » Wed May 27, 2009 6:17 pm

It's a good thing I'm going to add a DD-WRT enabled router explicitly for NAT, firewall, portforwarding, and QoS. Tonight I was working from home and a coworker called my Ooma number while I was doing work remotely and trying to load a large web page. The conversation broke up quite badly. I am using an Advanced Network Configuration so there is zero QoS being applied at the moment. So my lesson to everyone is that if you choose an Advanced Network Configuration be sure to take ownership for properly configuring the QoS of your router.

I will post my success after I get the router in place and QoS settings tweaked properly.

Cheers,
Scott

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed May 27, 2009 7:22 pm

I am using the same router with Tomato firmware and the QOS support keeps ooma solid no matter what I'm doing on the network.

Nice choice, Scott.

Wayne

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Thu May 28, 2009 3:18 am

WayneDsr wrote:I am using the same router with Tomato firmware and the QOS support keeps ooma solid no matter what I'm doing on the network.

Nice choice, Scott.

Wayne
I was originally going to go with the WRT610N because of WAN/LAN Gigabit interfaces and 300MHz processor (vs 200MHz in WRT54GL) and 64MB of RAM. I opted against it after inquiring on the DD-WRT forums about the QoS buffers. They are hardcoded so there was very little advantage with the WRT610N as a router. Processing power is the only advantage and since 200MHz models have been tested at 54Mbps throughput with DD-WRT so there's no need until ISPs start offering much better performance. The WRT54GL has the minimum specs to run the full version of DD-WRT (4MB Flash and 16MB of RAM). Most other routers in the same price range have less Flash and RAM so the full DD-WRT package can't be installed.

I already have a wireless access point and there's no way the wireless can reach where the network rack is, so I'm going to shut down the antennas to save on power since that appears to be where most of the power is consumed.

Once I get it tweaked to work perfectly for my network configuration I believe I'll have made the most cost effective choice in the WRT54GL as my router.

Scott

Phyllis

Post by Phyllis » Fri May 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Just so you know--I have been waiting since March to have my number ported with Ooma. Called again today and they still don't know when it will happen. So I've been paying my phone co. these several months while waiting. Really frustrating!

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sat May 30, 2009 6:00 am

Phyllis wrote:Just so you know--I have been waiting since March to have my number ported with Ooma. Called again today and they still don't know when it will happen. So I've been paying my phone co. these several months while waiting. Really frustrating!
It seems like that happens to some, and others have no problem at all. I wonder if it's more about your local phone provider than Ooma?

I'm not in a rush to drop my phone service. I don't have full faith in Ooma yet, and since we are augmenting our landline very few of our calls are actually being serviced by Ooma making it difficult for me to generate faith at this point. I plan to stick with the landline until I have that faith, but I guess when that happens I will want the port to happen quickly.

Cheers,
Scott