What happens with phone service after number is ported?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
scottlindner
What happens with phone service after number is ported?

Post by scottlindner » Mon May 25, 2009 7:06 am

I'm considering porting my number from my traditional phone service to Ooma. I believe I have enough faith in Ooma after a week of testing to make the jump. One thing I'm curious about is what happens once the number is ported? Do landline providers terminate service and stop billing, and refund any overpayments? Do they continue billing you until you ask them to terminate service? Has anyone experience any termination or porting charges from their landline providers in response to a port to Ooma?

I have a coworker who's port to Ooma is almost done. I could just wait to see what happens with him, but I'm also curious what the norm is in other areas and providers. I have many friends and family that will be interested in Ooma once I feel confident enough to give it my recommendation to most people. This is part of the package to consider.

Cheers,
Scott

niknak

Re: What happens with phone service after number is ported?

Post by niknak » Mon May 25, 2009 7:31 am

..One thing I'm curious about is what happens once the number is ported? Do landline providers terminate service and stop billing, and refund any overpayments....
I ported my landine number from Verizon in NY City. The whole process took 4 weeks. I did not have to notify them of anything. Once the port completed, they sent me a refund since it occurred in the middle of a billing cycle. Very smooth process!

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon May 25, 2009 7:36 am

niknak wrote:I ported my landine number from Verizon in NY City. The whole process took 4 weeks. I did not have to notify them of anything. Once the port completed, they sent me a refund since it occurred in the middle of a billing cycle. Very smooth process!
It sounds like it's exactly what you'd expect or hope for, but with today's "gouge you on the way out" from most service providers I'm hesitant to assume it would be this simple.

Scott

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 am

Well, that was my experience with Verizon, I don't know about other carriers. I remember reading here that some Telcos will connect you to their "retention unit" where their customer service reps will entice you to stay with special deals, etc.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon May 25, 2009 7:50 am

niknak wrote:Well, that was my experience with Verizon, I don't know about other carriers. I remember reading here that some Telcos will connect you to their "retention unit" where their customer service reps will entice you to stay with special deals, etc.
Too little, too late when the switch is to Ooma. I can't believe I'm paying $42/mo for a local call only land line now that I have Ooma. Once I'm confident Ooma is our permanently solution, that $42/mo is history.

Thanks for the feedback. I sure hope it's this simple with QWest, my telephone provider.

Cheers,
Scott

niknak

Post by niknak » Mon May 25, 2009 7:53 am

I hope your port goes smoothly. I tested for about 1 month before making the switch. I'm saving about the same - 40-45$ a month now. OOMA works perfectly for my needs!

arkumar15

Post by arkumar15 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi,
I ported my number from verizon in texas. They didn't charge any termination or porting charges. But it took more than 6 weeks for the porting to be completed. I found some one got ported in less than 4 weeks. I think it depends on the carrier too.

scottlindner wrote:I'm considering porting my number from my traditional phone service to Ooma. I believe I have enough faith in Ooma after a week of testing to make the jump. One thing I'm curious about is what happens once the number is ported? Do landline providers terminate service and stop billing, and refund any overpayments? Do they continue billing you until you ask them to terminate service? Has anyone experience any termination or porting charges from their landline providers in response to a port to Ooma?

I have a coworker who's port to Ooma is almost done. I could just wait to see what happens with him, but I'm also curious what the norm is in other areas and providers. I have many friends and family that will be interested in Ooma once I feel confident enough to give it my recommendation to most people. This is part of the package to consider.

Cheers,
Scott

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue May 26, 2009 6:27 pm

I have heard all good things. I'm waiting for two things to happen before I schedule the port. First, I'm waiting for my first bill after using Ooma. I want to make sure that my long distance calls were actually placed over Ooma. So far I have no way of proving to myself Ooma is doing anything but logging my calls. The second, is I want to get a new router in to set up QoS and do serious stress tests to ensure my Ooma always performs well even under during heavy Internet load. I have what the Ooma guide calls and Advanced Network Configuration and run a couple of servers that sometimes make surfing the Net painful. I have the router ordered. Once it gets here I plan to set up the QoS settings and do the stress test. Hopefully this weekend.

Once those two things are passed successfully.. the port will be scheduled. Since I get my long distance bill on the 1st of every month, I might be scheduling the port early next week.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Scott

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Just curious, what router did you order?

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Tue May 26, 2009 8:55 pm

bw1 wrote:Just curious, what router did you order?
Linksys WRT54GL. I plan to put DD-WRT on it since it has very solid QoS capabilities.

Scott