Hub goes off line.

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Walt
Hub goes off line.

Post by Walt » Fri May 29, 2009 4:12 am

Twice in the last few weeks, the Hub went off line. With it my internet connection to my computer went down. I have comcast cable. The cable runs to my cable modem, then to the Hub, then to my router and then to my computers and phones.

I first time I rebooted everything, cable modem, Hub and router. The last time, since my cable modem looked normal and my TV was up and running, I just rebooted the Hub and router.

The dilemma is:

1. Does anyone have the problem of the Hub going offline. The tab turns red and I lose connection to the internet and have to reboot.

2. Should I use a splitter from my cable modem, one line to the router and one to the Hub.

When this happens, if I not looking at the Hub or Scout, I do not know my phone is not working. If on on the internet, at least I know when the Hub goes offline.

Should I just wait till it happens again and get more specific information. I'm in south NJ.

Walt

murphy

Re: Hub goes off line.

Post by murphy » Fri May 29, 2009 6:14 am

Walt wrote:2. Should I use a splitter from my cable modem, one line to the router and one to the Hub.
That will not work. Your cable modem has been configured by Comcast to allow only one IP address to be provided. With a "splitter" (actually that would have to be a switch) the hub and router would need different IP addresses. Comcast will provide you with two IP addresses if you pay an extra monthly fee for the privilege.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri May 29, 2009 6:32 am

Why not plug ooma into your router like a pc?
If ooma went down your internet connection will still be up and you'd have more control of QOS if you need it.

Wayne

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Fri May 29, 2009 6:39 am

....plus you would know if it was the hub actually cutting off or if it was your internet going down.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri May 29, 2009 8:35 am

Good point.

Wayne

koehn

Post by koehn » Fri May 29, 2009 11:27 am

I've had my hub go offline when directly connected to my Comcast modem (modem -> ooma -> router). I seem to have solved the problem by setting the hub from automatic to Dynamic (DHCP) on the "Network" tab of setup.ooma.com.

I think that the hub isn't detecting that it needs to request an IP address via DHCP, and when the DHCP lease expires (which takes a week or so) Comcast stops routing any traffic to or from that IP address.

Walt

Post by Walt » Fri May 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks for two things to try. I thought they recommended the Hub to be between the cable modem and router, so I'll try leaving it there for now and switch to Dynamic (DHCP) and see it that helps. If the problem returns, I'll try moving the Hub after the router.

Have you heard of anyone else having the Hub go off line?

Walt

Walt

Post by Walt » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Well it's 6/2 at 11PM and Ooma went down. I rebooted and it was still off line. Waited about a minute and tried again. This time it came up.

See the post about- 6/1/7:40AM

Seems they had a similar problem.

Walt

dinks100

Post by dinks100 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Hey Walt,
I also have Comcast, my modem is a motorola SURFboard and when I first set up my ooma I had it after my older linksys router.

My set up was modem-router-ooma and I was having the same problem your having, every week or so the hub would go down and I'ed have to reboot everything to get it back up.

I've changed my setup to modem-ooma-router, set the QoS as outlined in this forum and it's been working great for eight week or so.

Hope this helps,
“Perhaps through hunger you will obtain
a new appreciation for the sustenance offered.”

Lieutenant Commander Data
"to his pet cat Spot"
Federation Starship Enterprise
NCC-1701-E

koehn

Post by koehn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:56 am

Walt wrote:Well it's 6/2 at 11PM and Ooma went down. I rebooted and it was still off line. Waited about a minute and tried again. This time it came up.

See the post about- 6/1/7:40AM

Seems they had a similar problem.

Walt
Same thing happened to me overnight, and I ended up putting the modem inside the router for the time being. I'll call support today and see what's up. I'm still guessing that the Ooma isn't properly renewing the DHCP lease: if the lease expires Comcast stops routing traffic to it.