Is there new Ooma Telo hardware?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Tom
Ooma Moderator
Re: Is there new Ooma Telo hardware?

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:58 pm

The line 1/2 buttons are one way to switch lines, but you can also just use the flash button on your phone (or lacking that toggle the phone's hook switch). That saves a walk over to the telo. This will work on any analog phone (digital or SIP phones are not supported). And to start a 3-way conference between calls on the two lines you do a double flash (do the 2nd flash within 1.5 sec of the first). A single flash will break the conference.

If you have an HD2 handset you would use the green button to switch lines and the Options softkey to start a 3-way conference.

Using a regular phone you can choose which line to make a call on, but there's no real point in doing so. Assuming both lines are idle you can make a call on line 2 by pressing flash and then dialing the number.

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:41 pm

So. is there any place on the Ooma website where all of this button pushing is explained for ready reference, because exactly none of it is explained in the instructions that come with the unit, and having to hunt through the forum for them doesn't seem like the easiest way to find them.
I don't mind getting old, but my body is taking it badly

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:22 pm

At https://www.ooma.com/support/documentation you'll find the 'Ooma Telo Quickstart Guide'. Direct link is: https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files/sit ... 27-400.pdf

A hardcopy is enclosed in every telo box. Features like toggling do-not-disturb and changing brightness, are addressed in the 'Ooma Usage Guide' and 'Quick Reference' sections of the document.

One thing we will be improving on telo2 is how you initiate a 3-party call. The undocumented double flash method doesn't work with some phones, so we'll be adding a starcode method like on Ooma Office.

stestardi

Post by stestardi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:37 pm

@Tom, on my old Telo, if someone is making a call on Line 1 with an Ooma handset and I want to make a call on Line 2 with a regular handset, I can press the Line 2 button before going off hook with the regular handset and I'm connected to Line 2.

Is there any way to do this on Telo2?

Steve

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:09 pm

stestardi wrote:on my old Telo I can press the Line 2 button before going off hook
That key press is ignored, so no need to do that. You will notice on your old telo that if someone is already on a call (say using Ooma handset on line 1) and you lift the phone attached to the telo you will get dialtone and line 2 automatically lights up. Same thing on telo2 except without the line indicator. The two lines are completely interchangeable so there's really no need to know which line you're on.

One exception I can think of is where 2 separate calls are going on 2 handsets. Now the person using the phone attached to the telo is asked to join the call on line 2. That person lifts the phone and gets dialtone. On telo1 you could next press the line 2 button and join the call on line 2. On telo2 what you do is lift phone, flash once to connect to line 1, flash twice to connect to line 2.

jrspe

Post by jrspe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:05 am

If I upgrade to Telo 2 from Telo 1, is the activation process the same or can I simply plug it in and go since I already have an Ooma account?

What is to be done with the old unit? Is there any personal info stored on it? If so, can it be cleared? Could someone take the old Telo and plug it in and use it?

JonInNY

Post by JonInNY » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:12 pm

I can answer the 2nd part of your question. The Telo is MEANT to be portable, so you can take it wherever there's an Internet connection and use it as if you were at home.

There is a way clear the unit in the Telo Setup:
1) Go to the Telo setup page by typing its IP address (http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 if you're BEHIND your router).
2) Go to "Tools" --> "System" --> "Factory Reset"
This should wipe out your link with this device to Ooma.

As for the first part of the question, I believe that once you Factory Reset the old Telo, you can then install the new Telo and initialize by calling customer support. I'm not 100% sure on that one, so hopefully other Ooma members will chime in.
Last edited by JonInNY on Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

murphy

Post by murphy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:33 pm

You must call support and have them transfer your service from the old unit to the new unit. Do NOT activate the new unit.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

jrspe

Post by jrspe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm

Thanx.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Factory reset is not relevant to device activation. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6809&start=10