how to dim telo light?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
Jason88
how to dim telo light?

Post by Jason88 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Just installed the Ooma Telo2, I feel the blue Ooma logo light is too bright, didn't find anything in the manual, how do I dim or turn off that light?

EX Bell

Re: how to dim telo light?

Post by EX Bell » Tue May 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

jtroth

Post by jtroth » Thu May 15, 2014 7:26 am

FYI - I just tried this and it doesn't work. There's no change to the brightness. I too would love to dim those darned lights! -J

davidgilbreath

Post by davidgilbreath » Thu May 15, 2014 7:59 am

Not every Ooma device looks like the one that the link in the second post references. This is mine:
Tap the control inside the red circle until the brightness reaches the level you desire.

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Thu May 15, 2014 9:38 am

Correct. That is the same as my Telo, the old style. However the OP said he had Telo 2 (in which I think he means the latest Telo, and it is actually Telo 3) where there is no dedicated button to dim the lights. So unless you just start pushing buttons on your Telo 3 to see what happens, then you would have to have noticed the last line of the description of the Rewind key in the Quick Reference section of the Quick Start Guide.

Not many people are going to read much further beyond the first line which says it's a Rewind Key. Most everyone knows what a rewind key is and so it's perfectly understandable that they would skip reading the full description to get to the last line.

The Quick Reference section should really be redesigned to make this important change more obvious. How to dim the lights has been a common followup question from my clients with the old stye control panel, even after I explained it on installation. Many are overwhelmed by the change to what very often had been one of the simplest devices in their house, next to the toaster, so those kind of details often are not retained. Even though there is a button that looks like the sun on their device, some don't want to press anything they are unsure of for fear of messing up their phone system.

So what had not been obvious before, is made even less obvious by the redesign of the Telo 3 and the unfortunate layout of the usage description in the new Quick Reference for it. I just hope the slight ridge around each button of the new style control panel is better at stopping cat paws from activating buttons. I've had many calls and emails where my clients could not understand why the Telo had no lights, but still worked. In all of the cases they had cats that would frequently walk across their desks, so in each case I assume the cat stepped on the button enough times to turn off the lights.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

JonInNY

Post by JonInNY » Sat May 31, 2014 7:56 am

The "Rewind" button works for me. It cycles through 4 brightness settings, and "off".

You can also try going to the Telo settings directly, by plugging a computer into the home port, and in a browser, going to: http://172.27.35.1 (assuming you did not change the defaults).

You may also be able to do this through your current network, if you setup the port forwarding.

Once you're there, under the "Advanced" tab, you will see "Brightness Control"

Hope that helps!

jtroth

Post by jtroth » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks davidgilbreath, that is my telo also, and it worked fine. I never knew that was the brightness control !

GMOOMA

Post by GMOOMA » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I read somewhere in the Amazon listing for telo 2 that there is a star (*) code to change the brightness of the telo (from the handset) ? Is this true? If so, would it work with a regular telo also? Just wondering...

fstjohn

Post by fstjohn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 am

Interesting that I've got a brand new Telo, ordered from Ooma online and arrived yesterday. The quick start guide doesn't mention the rewind button dim function, although it does work. Fingerboning the various buttons to try to find the dim function before I found this thread, I managed to turn on Do Not Disturb by accident. There's nothing in my fast start guide under the FF key description to say it enables Do Not Disturb, either. I had to call tech support this morning to find out how to turn off Do Not Disturb, since the chat line tech had no ideas

edr

Post by edr » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Thank you for this discussion thread. Purchased Ooma Telo November 21, 2014. Blue logo light was off. Nowhere in the Quick Start Guide or on the Ooma web site are instructions on how to change the intensity of the logo nor how to turn the “Do Not Disturb” function on/off. Luckily, Google found this topic in the Ooma discussion boards. Missing instructions are as follows:
FAST FORWARD KEY: Hold Fast Forward Key down for 2 seconds – voice will announce “Do not disturb on” and logo changes color to purple. Hold Fast Forward Key down for 2 seconds again – voice will announce “Do not disturb off” and logo changes color to blue.
REWIND KEY: Press down Rewind Key – hear ‘beep’ and logo changes color to purple; release Rewind Key and logo changes blue intensity. With each push and release of the Rewind Key, logo cycles through the sequence …off_dim_bright_brighter_brightest_off…