Turn off Ooma Tone

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
scottlindner
Re: Turn off Ooma Tone

Post by scottlindner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:32 am

What if that precludes the largest segment of users (aka revenue)? Are you still concerned about free for you now rather than even better for you later?

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 am

You're right, but in this case it doesn't.

Wayne

niknak

Post by niknak » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 am

I think the Ooma dialtone not only provides a way to confirm ooma is working, it is also a throwback to the days when you could dial 1010321 or 1010220 for different LD carriers. You would always hear a short message (ie AT&T jingle) with the DT

zappullae

Post by zappullae » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:27 am

niknak wrote:I think the Ooma dialtone not only provides a way to confirm ooma is working, it is also a throwback to the days when you could dial 1010321 or 1010220 for different LD carriers. You would always hear a short message (ie AT&T jingle) with the DT

My other 2 VOIP providers didn't have a silly tone every time I picked up the phone. It needs to be optional. Ooma should concentrate on making it seamless and easier to install. Lets start with publishing the error codes in the manual and on line.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 am

WayneDsr wrote:I want ooma to focus on what they do.
FREE hi quality voip service. I want them to focus on reliability. I want everyone that purchases ooma to connect and go with no issues.
FREE FREE FREE.

That will attract more new users than a few on off switches that cost ooma money, time and people to implement, which will get passed on to the users.

I understand this is just a request.

Just my opinion.

Wayne
Personally, I just want free phone service just reliable phone service. If you buy premier then you should have special features at your disposal.

I agree with Wayne to the point that I dont pay anything, but there are users that do and those user's want more value for their dollar. I think there are lot of things out there and kudos to them for suggesting it in the feature request forum..... oh wait wrong thread.
:P

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am

niknak wrote:I think the Ooma dialtone not only provides a way to confirm ooma is working, it is also a throwback to the days when you could dial 1010321 or 1010220 for different LD carriers. You would always hear a short message (ie AT&T jingle) with the DT
LOL 1010...I remember those comercials
zappullae wrote: Ooma should concentrate on making it seamless and easier to install. Lets start with publishing the error codes in the manual and on line.
Another great suggestion, keep the coming and please, add them to the suggestion and feature request forum.

I know Bobby and Dennis monitor all threads but by placing them in the right place, they become a lot easier to find later.

Anyone who's run a forum will agree

Klatch

Post by Klatch » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

I think the Ooma tone is making my autodialer malfunction. It works with the Vonage adapter but not the Ooma adapter. And yes, it's connected to the direct port on the Hub, no scouts involved, at least not yet. (the house autodials my cell phone when a trigger is activated)

So anyone find a way to turn it off?

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:06 pm

Klatch wrote:I think the Ooma tone is making my autodialer malfunction. It works with the Vonage adapter but not the Ooma adapter. And yes, it's connected to the direct port on the Hub, no scouts involved, at least not yet. (the house autodials my cell phone when a trigger is activated)

So anyone find a way to turn it off?
Not so far but what you are finding with your autodialer was discovered by an alarm user. The ooma dialtone was causing a problem with the alarm. They solved the problem by placing a couple of leading pauses in the dial string. I think their system used [P] as a pause character, but others may use a , or something else. If your system allows a leading pause, give it a try! Something like [P] [P] 360 545-4545.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Klatch

Post by Klatch » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:07 pm

Yeah it should allow a pause, thanks for the tip. I'll try it.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:17 am

Well Im on my 4th ooma hub in 4 days. first 3 I had to take back as when I went to activate I was told the serial and activation numbers were not registered to oomas system as active for sale and they basically said they shouldnt have been shipped from the factory for sale yet. All from same costco so image how many people who bought them for gifts are gonna find out christmas day thier units wont work lol. The 4th one worked and I went in and disabled the ooma tone and the little tone you hear when you pick up the phone went away which was great as once I did that I could use my fax and credit card machine with the oooma. I did about 50 credit card runs and few dozen fax pages then came in to use it today and the tone was back and cant use it for anything but making calls.. I called ooma and they first told me they could turn it off for me then they had me hang up and reset the unit. Tried that with 4 techs. The 5th after 40 minutes said they couldnt do it but couldnt explain why it had worked for last few days without that annoying tone that messes up dialing or why previous 3 tech said yes it could be done.. i can no longer get the tone off when I pick the phone up so for me this is pointless and I will return this one and go back to my magic jack which functions better can make faxes and credit card machine calls and is a lot less...If they would drop that annoying pre dial music so you could use the device like a true line it would be nice since no computer needed but that 2 second jingle prevents a credit card machine or fax from being able to dial as they dial upon pickup so the music tone makes it miss the first 2 to 3 numbers...definately not a great product and for what it does the magic jack is much better...good bye ooma